Prospect Info: Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #5

Who is the Sens #5 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Form stepped up his offensive game big time last year. Played pk, pp always on at end of 1 goal games, would have been rookie of the year if not for norris.

Before last year he seemed like might only be bottom 6 energy guy. This year he showed he can score, playmake, defend and forecheck better than almost anyone.

Top 6 is Forms destiny

didn’t Colin White do that with Mark Stone?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Abramov has the highest ceiling of the remaining forwards imo
not sure how high he can go with his skating and talent combo. not the best skater and his yeah hes super skilled just not the most translateable. not saying he cant be an nhl player i just dont know where his cieling is.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
People are sleeping on Lassi.
JBD just looks better imo and they are essentially the same age (both 2000 born).

I don't think a lot seperates them or Formenton for that matter though, all three are solid prospects and should go 5, 6, and 7. Where it gets interesting for me is Balcers vs Pinto, Balcers is well ahead in development but Pinto is 3 and a half years younger.

Reactions: Cosmix

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Formenton just finished 2nd in rookie scoring and top 10 overall as the youngest player in AHL (or close to it).

Have we been so spoiled with Batherson and Norris that this is the expected norm? On top of that he is potentially the most defensively responsible prospect we have now too...and plays with an edge.

Feels like overthinking at this point with talk of Lassi, Pinto, etc...maybe passing him.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Formenton just finished 2nd in rookie scoring and top 10 overall as the youngest player in AHL (or close to it).

Have we been so spoiled with Batherson and Norris that this is the expected norm? On top of that he is potentially the most defensively responsible prospect we have now too...and plays with an edge.

Feels like overthinking at this point with talk of Lassi, Pinto, etc...maybe passing him.

Not that this is the norm or it should be expected but it's kind of an old reflex, people seeing Thomson or Formenton ranked 6th or 7th see it as some kind of disappointment but in fact, it just reflects how strong the Sens prospect pool already is, before the draft. It will get to an insane level (that I have never seen before) when we add 3 first round picks (2 in top-5) and 4 second round picks, etc

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006

Formenton blew me away this year but imo Pinto definitely deserves to be in the conversation. 4 years ago he was committed to making the MLB...Since then he's led his USHL team in scoring (playing 30 less games than some guys lol), tied for most goals on Team USA at the WJs, tied for most goals on UND before the season ended as a rookie(the #2 team in the country), while being over %60(!!) on face offs. His development curve obviously won't stay this linear but I'd say he has alot more potential at his age than most guys do. I feel like they are going to be perfect linemates for eachother, especially on the PK

Reactions: TheDebater and OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Not that this is the norm or it should be expected but it's kind of an old reflex, people seeing Thomson or Formenton ranked 6th or 7th see it as some kind of disappointment but in fact, it just reflects how strong the Sens prospect pool already is, before the draft. It will get to an insane level (that I have never seen before) when we add 3 first round picks (2 in top-5) and 4 second round picks, etc
Fair enough.

I just find it hard to place kids doing well in college over a kid that by the time the season was closing was dominating the AHL.

I get it is all projection but Formenton has a solid history as well.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
JBD just looks better imo and they are essentially the same age (both 2000 born).

I don't think a lot seperates them or Formenton for that matter though, all three are solid prospects and should go 5, 6, and 7. Where it gets interesting for me is Balcers vs Pinto, Balcers is well ahead in development but Pinto is 3 and a half years younger.
I have JBD right behind Norris as my 1-2. Balcers is way down the list for me.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Fair enough.

I just find it hard to place kids doing well in college over a kid that by the time the season was closing was dominating the AHL.

I get it is all projection but Formenton has a solid history as well.

You mean JBD? Oh yeah but it's not just college, it's also international appearances. Yes his college reviews are quite impressive but when you look at his overall skillset, the guy just screams NHL player of today. He won't ever be some flashy star in the EK mold but I believe he will be a very valuable presence on the blueline.

Thing is Batherson, Norris, Brannstrom and Brown also all "dominated" the AHL. And they started playing in the NHL showing some flashes (less for Norris but you understand). Formenton is younger and was in his 1st pro season. If he was in his 3rd pro season, he'd probably have as much recognition, if not more, which bodes very well for this group .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad