Prospect Info: Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #4

Who is the Sens #4 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020

1- Drake Batherson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #1)
2- Josh Norris (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #2)
3- Erik Brannstrom (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #3)

Tell me when I should add a prospect to the poll options

As we have been doing the last decade+, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

Players still in the organization who graduated since last year :

Christian Wolanin turned 25 y/o
Marcus Högberg turned 25 y/o
Nick Paul turned 25 y/o
Christian Jaros has 76 NHL games
Jayce Hawryluk has 68 NHL games

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA in priority among these players?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Add Gustavsson
Add Gruden
Add Olle Alsing
Add Crookshank
Add Kelly
Add Guennette
Add Aspirot
Add Novak

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Formenton. His speed will change the dynamics of any line he plays on. Add in his willingness to hit and an underrated pair of mitts and we could have a very rare player on our hands.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I'm starting to get a little down on our prospects outside of Norris. It really screwed our guys over losing the AHL season and having the next season starting late. Next year if guys don't start stepping up and starting showing something in the NHL it will be concerning towards our 5 years of unparalleled success.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm guessing you have Batherson at 1? You see more potential in Formenton than Norris?
As do I, I think Formenton is on a bit longer development curve as he grew late and is the bigger player. For me it was really hard to choose between Norris and Formenton at number 2 but ultimately i went Formenton due to his physical element. Norris likely scores more but Formenton is going to have an impact every game. I think he is going to make alot of room out there for whoever he plays with.

Formenton Byfield Duclair could be a hell of a line.

Pretty suprised he isnt winning this poll.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Y'all sleeping on JBD

Yeah he's my #5. I thought him and Brown were going to be sure bets to close out the top-5 but it seems that Formenton has gained a lot of fans recently... I love the kid too but didn't expect him to get in serious consideration before #6. I thought he was going to be in the Pinto/Balcers/Thomson tier.

I'm starting to get a little down on our prospects outside of Norris. It really screwed our guys over losing the AHL season and having the next season starting late. Next year if guys don't start stepping up and starting showing something in the NHL it will be concerning towards our 5 years of unparalleled success.

It's the same thing for everybody, nobody played. And that feeling comes from the "absence", I think it's a bit natural. But rewind a few months back and a lot of our prospects were doing extremely well and were getting developped carefully without being rushed

As do I, I think Formenton is on a bit longer development curve as he grew late and is the bigger player. For me it was really hard to choose between Norris and Formenton at number 2 but ultimately i went Formenton due to his physical element. Norris likely scores more but Formenton is going to have an impact every game. I think he is going to make alot of room out there for whoever he plays with.

Formenton Byfield Duclair could be a hell of a line.

Pretty suprised he isnt winning this poll.

I'm surprised that you are suprised. I actually find a lot more surprising to see that some have him as a better prospect than Batherson, Norris, JBD and even Brown. I mean, not even a few months ago, everybody was talking about him as a "future 3rd liner" and there has been NO hockey for 4 months... One of the quickest volte-face I have seen on this board.

I hope he becomes a legit bonafide top-6 forward but I can't project that for him, so for me it's still elite 3rd LW potential. A guy that can score 40 pts from the 3rd line LW without much PP time while providing in other facets of the game is pretty valuable.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm surprised that you are suprised. I actually find a lot more surprising to see that some have him as a better prospect than Batherson, Norris, JBD and even Brown. I mean, not even a few months ago, everybody was talking about him as a "future 3rd liner" and there has been NO hockey for 4 months... One of the quickest volte-face I have seen on this board.

I hope he becomes a legit bonafide top-6 forward but I can't project that for him, so for me it's still elite 3rd LW potential. A guy that can score 40 pts from the 3rd line LW without much PP time while providing in other facets of the game is pretty valuable.

I am suprised, Formenton has been on the most steep upward trajectory of any prospect in the system outside of Batherson. Everything about him screams long time NHL player. He only got pp time for the first time in his career at any level last year in London then finally got some this year in the second half in the AHL. His even strength ppg in the AHL was top 5 and once he got pp time in the second half he scored over a ppg in the AHL. He was 7th in scoring in the AHL and 2nd in rookie scoring while being the youngest North American born player in the AHL. Formenton is already an elite PKer. He is also somehow still growing while being wiry strong not to compromise his speed. He is the fastest player in the AHL and probably a top 10 speedster in all of hockey while being 6'3. His ability to make moves at high speeds has increased and so has his ability to slow it down. He made the WJC at 18 something that rarely happens, he almost made the NHL at 18. His resume screams top end prospect, I think he has alot more developing to do too as he is still growing into his frame. However the thing that I like the most about him is he is a mean SOB, I hope he continues to play with even more of an edge. He is versitile and can play in any role, but might be best fit on a scoring line as a puck retreival winger who backs off D men and makes room for skilled players. So all in all yes with all of that knowledge and data I have him number 2 behind Batherson.

Reactions: angrydad

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How are Formenton's hands coming along? Iirc, that was the one issue he had in his first training camp, holding onto the puck and making moves at high speed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Very weird, there's more votes in this new #4 poll than there was for the #3 poll in almost 2 days.

I am suprised, Formenton has been on the most steep upward trajectory of any prospect in the system outside of Batherson. Everything about him screams long time NHL player. He only got pp time for the first time in his career at any level last year in London then finally got some this year in the second half in the AHL. His even strength ppg in the AHL was top 5 and once he got pp time in the second half he scored over a ppg in the AHL. He was 7th in scoring in the AHL and 2nd in rookie scoring while being the youngest North American born player in the AHL. Formenton is already an elite PKer. He is also somehow still growing while being wiry strong not to compromise his speed. He is the fastest player in the AHL and probably a top 10 speedster in all of hockey while being 6'3. His ability to make moves at high speeds has increased and so has his ability to slow it down. He made the WJC at 18 something that rarely happens, he almost made the NHL at 18. His resume screams top end prospect, I think he has alot more developing to do too as he is still growing into his frame. However the thing that I like the most about him is he is a mean SOB, I hope he continues to play with even more of an edge. He is versitile and can play in any role, but might be best fit on a scoring line as a puck retreival winger who backs off D men and makes room for skilled players. So all in all yes with all of that knowledge and data I have him number 2 behind Batherson.

You don't need to convince me, I know Formenton is going to be a very valuable NHLer, but is he going to be a go to guy at that level? No, I don't think so. I don't see him driving a line. He looks more like a Tkachuk lite who can be a great complimentary guy on a scoring line just a tier below, with some elements of their game being different of course. With all the great things in his skillset, he doesn't have that skill element that could help become a legit 1st liner. I see him more as I said, as a great complimentary guy on the 2nd line or that elite 3rd line LW.

Having him 6th in the pool is no detriment to him but more to say that Norris, Batherson, Brannstrom and JBD are even better prospects. And for the last time, I have Brown in there because skill and potential is too big to not give him another shot. He is just 18 months older than Formenton and he had to grow into his body as he has been a "monster" for a while. He was a long term project from the start, Formenton seems to be on a much faster development curve

Anyway, everything is possible, maybe he ends up the best of the bunch, or 2nd best after Batherson like you say, but in that case, would it mean that all of Brannstrom, Norris, Brown and JBD disappoint? Or maybe, on the contrary of most scouting sources and Sens fans who know about our prospects, you don't think that highly of them already?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Very weird, there's more votes in this new #4 poll than there was for the #3 poll in almost 2 days.

You don't need to convince me, I know Formenton is going to be a very valuable NHLer, but is he going to be a go to guy at that level? No, I don't think so. I don't see him driving a line. He looks more like a Tkachuk lite who can be a great complimentary guy on a scoring line just a tier below, with some elements of their game being different of course. With all the great things in his skillset, he doesn't have that skill element that could help become a legit 1st liner. I see him more as I said, as a great complimentary guy on the 2nd line or that elite 3rd line LW.

Having him 6th in the pool is no detriment to him but more to say that Norris, Batherson, Brannstrom and JBD are even better prospects. And for the last time, I have Brown in there because skill and potential is too big to not give him another shot. He is just 18 months older than Formenton and he had to grow into his body as he has been a "monster" for a while. He was a long term project from the start, Formenton seems to be on a much faster development curve

Anyway, everything is possible, maybe he ends up the best of the bunch, or 2nd best after Batherson like you say, but in that case, would it mean that all of Brannstrom, Norris, Brown and JBD disappoint? Or maybe, on the contrary of most scouting sources and Sens fans who know about our prospects, you don't think that highly of them already?
Nothing to do with those prospects dissapointing I just dont think they are going to be as good as Formenton. They are all really close though and wouldnt suprise me if they fell in any order at the end of the day. None of them have a stand out better resume than he does at this point. I value what he is going to bring away from scoring.

angrydad

Oct 20, 2011
You wonder what the perception of Formenton would be if he hadn't been injured and unable to play for the Canadian World Junior team in his 19th year. There's a good chance he would have been Captain over Comtois. Not trying to tear down other guys, more just to prop Formenton up.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
L. Brown is going to be the defacto #1 centre on this team if they are unable to draft Byfield. IMO Stutzle will play LW in the NHL which will be interesting since we will be able to compare his development directly with Lafreniere. Stutzle - L. Brown - Batherson

I like Formenton a lot & think he has tremendous potential, but IMO he is still behind Tkachuk on LW & most likely will also be behind Stutzle. This of course means less ice time & 2nd PP time at best. I just don't get Brannstrom as the #3 prospect given he will be behind Chabot & if they draft a defencemen in the 1st rd (Sanderson/Guhle), one of those guys will pass him too. I also think JBD & maybe Thomson should be ahead of him on the right side.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
s-l1600.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad