Prospect Info: Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #13

Who is the Sens #13 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020

1- Drake Batherson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #1)
2- Josh Norris (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #2)
3- Erik Brannstrom (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #3)
4- Logan Brown (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #4)
5- Jacob Bernard-Docker (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #5)
6- Alex Formenton (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #6)
7- Shane Pinto (Prospect Info: - Who is the Sens #7 Prospect at the moment?)
8- Lassi Thomson (Prospect Info: - Who is the Sens #8 Prospect at the moment?)
9- Rudolfs Balcers (Prospect Info: - Who is the Sens #9 Prospect at the moment?)
10- Joey Daccord (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #10 - TIE BREAKER)
11- Vitaly Abramov (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #11)
12- Filip Chlapik (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #12)

Tell me who I should add to the poll options

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

Players still in the organization who graduated since last year :

Christian Wolanin turned 25 y/o
Marcus Högberg turned 25 y/o
Nick Paul turned 25 y/o
Christian Jaros has 76 NHL games
Jayce Hawryluk has 68 NHL games

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA in priority among these players?

Prospects to be added :

Olle Alsing
Jakov Novak
Jonathan Aspirot
Jean-Christophe Beaudin
Andreas Englund

And the longshots that won't probably get ranked (as usual we won't get many votes at that stage)

Christopher Wilkie
Michael Carcone
Viktor Lodin
Luke Loheit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Lajoie should be a fine 3rd pairing D-man but Zub has much more pedigree now and is most likely to be a good/decent 2nd pairing D-man. I don't see Lajoie reaching that level.

I know it's "just the KHL" but from what I have read, Zub was very highly regarded there.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
At this point it becomes circumstantial. With the current group ready to be promoted to the roster and the top prospects we will draft the Sens are full. I do think Zub and Lajoie can play in the league. Couple of others.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Davidsson feels like the right answer. Honorable mention to Mandolese.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lajoie should be a fine 3rd pairing D-man but Zub has much more pedigree now and is most likely to be a good/decent 2nd pairing D-man. I don't see Lajoie reaching that level.

I know it's "just the KHL" but from what I have read, Zub was very highly regarded there.
He is seen as a bottom pair d man in the NHL, its the same logic this board used to push down Chlapik. I dont really think at this point there is a wrong answer for a prospect here as were pretty far down. I went with one of the goalies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He is seen as a bottom pair d man in the NHL, its the same logic this board used to push down Chlapik. I dont really think at this point there is a wrong answer for a prospect here as were pretty far down. I went with one of the goalies.

I have talked about this before but evaluating prospects is not a mathematical formula or exact science. It's a personnal evaluation based on several factors. Professional scouts have or should have a much more sophisticated evaluation process than die-hard hockey fans who themselves should have a much better evaluation process than the average fan or casual fan. But in the end, it's impossible to be 100% objective, even for professional scouts

It's about evaluating potential and possible impact of a player and then evaluating the level of belief you have in that prospect to achieve it. That's a reason why teams interview prospects before a draft, they are trying to evaluate the drive and character that person has. For amateurs like us, we have to go with much less information, so you go with what is available.

All that being said, I really don't see what is wrong in voting other guys before Chlapik and Lajoie. Maybe they are "safe bets" to be bottom-line players, but it's still unclear if they'll play a lot of games in the NHL. Personally, I have belief that Zub and Sogaard can be much better/important players. Does it guarantee anything? Absolutely not, of course, but that's also the reason why we are doing this exercise, which has somewhat the same goal to what teams do when they make rankings prior to a draft.

We are trying to determine who the Sens fans on this board are the highest on, and in which order. You can expect everyone voting to have done minimal research on the prospects but at the same time, we don't know how much people know about prospects. That's why this ranking is not professional and will stay an internal ranking. However, I think there's enough people who know enough on the subject, this ranking should represent which prospects the fanbase is highest on at the moment.

Personally, I see Zub and Sogaard having better careers than Lajoie and Chlapik. If it was just about "safest" NHL games played, then it means you are going to vote Andreas Englund just after them.

Reactions: thinkwild

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I have talked about this before but evaluating prospects is not a mathematical formula or exact science. It's a personnal evaluation based on several factors.

Lots of scouts use a variety of forms of quantification, analytics, formulas, algorithms (math) etc to try to predict player projection. No point in trying to dismiss its roll in the player evaluation process. It’s not all character and eye test.

Byfields is a good example ... his numbers (points, points/game, height, age) are easy to qualify him as a top draft choice even before you get into quantifying his skill set including skating ability, stick handling, shot, offensive awareness or even digging into his advanced analytics.

Any scout could promote Byfield on numbers alone.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
SkPUz9i.jpg

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad