Prospect Discussion: Kasperi Kapanen

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
I agree those 3 are above Kapanen on the Leafs prospect deep chart as top 6 forwards.

If Leafs take a forward with their 1st pick in 2016 he would also be above Kapanen.

Brown WAS ahead of him. But then he got injured. And now has to find his away again when he comes back. He never scored in his 8 games at the beginning of the year.

Kapenen seems to be finding his game lately after a rocky start.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I agree those 3 are above Kapanen on the Leafs prospect deep chart as top 6 forwards.

If Leafs take a forward with their 1st pick in 2016 he would also be above Kapanen.

matthews
marner
nylander
brown
kapanen
dermott
whoever we take with pens pick???
johnson
timbit
percy

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Brown WAS ahead of him. But then he got injured. And now has to find his away again when he comes back. He never scored in his 8 games at the beginning of the year.

Kapenen seems to be finding his game lately after a rocky start.

Brown's rookie season last year was very impressive and better than anything we have seen from Kapanen so far. IMO

Brown even made a strong push in camp to make the Leafs. While the ankle injury keeping him out for months hurts his development time I still believe management holds him in high regard.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Brown's rookie season last year was very impressive and better than anything we have seen from Kapanen so far. IMO

Brown even made a strong push in camp to make the Leafs. While the ankle injury keeping him out for months hurts his development time I still believe management holds him in high regard.

Oh no doubt about it. I do as well. I guess I see Kapenen with more of a ceiling but Brown is no joke don't get me wrong.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

Brown should have made the team imo.

champs*

I think all our offensively gifted prospects are being told to learn how to play babcocks systems in the neutral/d-zone before worrying about the o-zone... This is what makes willie even more impressive in my eyes. Kapy plays a nice 200 foot game!

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Kapenen is a year younger now than Brown was last season though

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I've watched a bunch of Marlies games this year. Been impressed by Kap in pretty much all of them. He may not always be putting up points but he's almost always noticeable. I think we got a good one in the Kessel deal, for sure. Kap has been one of the Marlies best players so far this season I'd say.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Nylander Marner Brown would be the 3 spots.

Do you think that Brown takes a spot after missing a lot of this year with injury?

I honestly don't know what to expect from him when he comes back and if he'll play the same.

Also, I'm not sure that Brown is the guy that will make the team.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I've watched a bunch of Marlies games this year. Been impressed by Kap in pretty much all of them. He may not always be putting up points but he's almost always noticeable. I think we got a good one in the Kessel deal, for sure. Kap has been one of the Marlies best players so far this season I'd say.

Yessiree. He isn't a Kessel replacement, or the next Tarasenko. But there's nothing wrong with that. He's gonna be a player for us, for sure. Like a Tofoli or Oshie type player. Can score 20+ in a season and contribute when he isn't scoring.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kasperi Kapanen has an opportunity Ace up his sleeve.

Because he was a focal point of the Kessel trade, current Leafs management (that made the trade) is going to want to give him every opportunity to succeed to validate the trade as that reflects positively on them.

There is added incentive to management, which equals increased opportunity for Kappy in that process. He isn't just some random prospect that doesn't have ties to current management directly and that is a huge advantage to him.

If Kappy fails it means Shanny and company botched the Kessel trade and we all know how often and how long Toronto media will remind everyone of that in the press.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014

Because he was a focal point of the Kessel trade, current Leafs management (that made the trade) is going to want to give him every opportunity to succeed to validate the trade as that reflects positively on them.

There is added incentive to management, which equals increased opportunity for Kappy in that process. He isn't just some random prospect that doesn't have ties to current management directly and that is a huge advantage to him.

If Kappy fails it means Shanny and company botched the Kessel trade and we all know how often and how long Toronto media will remind everyone of that in the press.

interesting take, looking increasingly positive with the year Kessels had thus far, and he doesnt strike as the type to age finely in the coming years as hes already on the downside of his prime years

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kapenen is a year younger now than Brown was last season though

Kapanen could still be in junior, Brown played 4 years of junior and his first year in the AHL was great.

Brown is 2.5 years older than Kapanen, so he should be further along, but that's fine.

These guys will have to stay hungry, and know there's a big line up of talented youngsters gaining on them.

Kapanen could probably be feasting on juniors right now, but to what benefit?

Looking good!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I would really hope our management isn't that petty and self-conscious.

I also wouldn't be so quick to assert that Kapanen won't deserve the opportunity he'll get.

Also, unless Kessel picks his play back up(he's on pace for 50-something points), its going to take a more than Kapanen busting to call that trade a botch.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would really hope our management isn't that petty and self-conscious.

I also wouldn't be so quick to assert that Kapanen won't deserve the opportunity he'll get.

Also, unless Kessel picks his play back up(he's on pace for 50-something points), its going to take a more than Kapanen busting to call that trade a botch.

If say Leivo and Kapanen are competing for the same roster spot and the competition is close then its likely that Kapanen would get the "tie goes to the runner" benefit of the doubt because of the reason I suggested there is extra incentive for him to be successful.

Leivo tied to past management and Kapanen to new management could very well play a part in who stays and who goes and who gets the most opportunity.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
If say Leivo and Kapanen are competing for the same roster spot and the competition is close then its likely that Kapanen would get the "tie goes to the runner" benefit of the doubt because of the reason I suggested there is extra incentive for him to be successful.

Leivo tied to past management and Kapanen to new management could very well play a part in who stays and who goes and who gets the most opportunity.

Or maybe management will look at Leivo being 3 years older and give him the edge, allowing Kapanen to go back to the Marlies with the possibility of him developing further and being even better next year. They might prefer to have Leivo on the roster because he was drafted and developed by the Leafs.

Ducati1098VII

Nov 11, 2008
Do you think that Brown takes a spot after missing a lot of this year with injury?

I honestly don't know what to expect from him when he comes back and if he'll play the same.

Also, I'm not sure that Brown is the guy that will make the team.

I think the injury might derail him but Brown was always more of a competitive spirit with great work ethic I except him to be fine because of the character traits he has.

I think he should have made the team this year especially with that personality you want to throw them into the fire.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Do you really think Shanny or management will base their promotion of prospects based on what some media think of the Kessel trade? I would say they don't give a rats butt about that.

As it stands, I'm already feeling pretty darn good about the trade as a win for us & in 3 or 4 years I doubt there will be many arguing. Lets hope Kessel isn't so broke that he can't even help the Penquins make the playoffs this year.

With respect to your comments about Leivo, hopefully he gets an opportunity with the Leafs next year, but he's 3 years older than Kapanen. Most kids Kapanen's age are still playing Junior. Kapanen was sick for the start the season & in his last 9 games he has 7 points. To put it bluntly, Kapanen is a much better prospect, with a higher skill set than Leivo. That has nothing to do with how the Leafs acquired him.

I've watched pretty well every Marlie game this year & your comment of him being a perimeter player on the last thread is unequivocally inaccurate.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I could've sworn we had another prospect discussion thread for Kapanen?

Anyways I think he's another AHL season away from being the NHL.

i agree. leivo isnt waiver elligable so i think that could come into play. also i think there are better players in the short term

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
i agree. leivo isnt waiver elligable so i think that could come into play. also i think there are better players in the short term

Leivo is very much a Babcock type of player who is great on the boards and cycling the puck. Given that he's waiver eligible next season I strongly suspect he'll be given a shot in the bottom six maybe as soon as the trade deadline.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
matthews
marner
nylander
brown
kapanen
dermott
whoever we take with pens pick???
johnson
timbit
percy

Feels like we are quite packed with border line top six potential players. With Nylander, marner, brown, and this year's pick as the sure top six category players. It will be real fun to watch some of these other players like leivo, leipsic, even kapanen play on the third line. Hopefully some get there opportunity this year.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Feels like we are quite packed with border line top six potential players. With Nylander, marner, brown, and this year's pick as the sure top six category players. It will be real fun to watch some of these other players like leivo, leipsic, even kapanen play on the third line. Hopefully some get there opportunity this year.

I disagree that Brown and this year's first are 'sure top six category players'.

Also, Kapanen is a better prospect than Brown in my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad