Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Good to hear something about Marchment. Looks like he'll be getting an ELC by the end of the year. What do people think his ceiling might be? Hyman perhaps?

Hyman's on ice motor, off ice drive, and similar meteoric development curve (emerging as a prospect at 22)
Rychel's game (skill + nasty), NHL pedigree
JVR's body

It's an incredibly interesting combination. Anywhere from a Martin replacement to late blooming top 9 fan favorite.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's why there is a penalty for crosschecking.
My point is I don't think he was targeting the head

He may not of targeted it but that's what he did, if someone did that to Liljegren or Dermott you can bet your ass I'd want them suspended, then tuned up by one of our tougher guys

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
One dynamic I've been finding interesting (and was pointed out a couple pages earlier) was the players identified but ultimately elected not to draft. Looking at the list of invites I see a lot of players trending interestingly. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at the conversations that decided who we picked, and am curious to know how the result of
McGregor vs. Turkulainen/Tortora/Coskey/Keating/Rueschhoff
and
O'Connell vs. Durzi/ Hollowell/ Smart

discussions could subtly alter the balance of power around the draft table

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He may not of targeted it but that's what he did, if someone did that to Liljegren or Dermott you can bet your ass I'd want them suspended, then tuned up by one of our tougher guys
Meh. Imo it's a contact sport and that was a high emotion broken play. If it was malicious then I would be calling for heads to roll.
But I grew up on rock em sock em hockey :laugh:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
One dynamic I've been finding interesting (and was pointed out a couple pages earlier) was the players identified but ultimately elected not to draft. Looking at the list of invites I see a lot of players trending interestingly. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at the conversations that decided who we picked, and am curious to know how the result of
McGregor vs. Turkulainen/Tortora/Coskey/Keating/Rueschhoff
and
O'Connell vs. Durzi/ Hollowell/ Smart

discussions could subtly alter the balance of power around the draft table

I'd take McGregor over all of them right now. Coskey is close-ish, but McGregor has the two-way skills to make it to the NHL some day. Coskey is a hard working guy, but he just does not possess the skills. Turkulainen and Tortora may have enough skill, but not enough skill to make up their tiny bodies. You find guys like them all of the time.

As for the latter competition, skating ability, smarts and being more of a two-way defenseman is what made O'Connell get drafted. Plus with 5 years to develop him before making an ELC commitment instead of 2, it was a better bet. Smart was just dealt for a better defenseman for the second time, and looked bad in training camp, so I have a feeling he's not that great.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Meh. Imo it's a contact sport and that was a high emotion broken play. If it was malicious then I would be calling for heads to roll.
But I grew up on rock em sock em hockey :laugh:

Just because it's a contact sport and he was emotional doesn't mean he should get away with something like that Salt, you can argue intent as well seeing as he got hit got straight up and cross checked the guy in the head, it looked pretty intentional

I like physical play but that one was bad especially with the whole hockey and concussions thing

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Just because it's a contact sport and he was emotional doesn't mean he should get away with something like that Salt, you can argue intent as well seeing as he got hit got straight up and cross checked the guy in the head, it looked pretty intentional

I like physical play but that one was bad especially with the whole hockey and concussions thing
It was not anywhere near the level of these. Not even close. Also at 1:32 the hit on Kesler, that's a crosscheck to the head

Again not condoning what Marchment did I just don't see it as anything in the league of the above incidents

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sparks leads all AHL goalies in sv% with a .944

Think it's a matter of time until he gets another NHL chance

Mcelhinney has a .910% he would have to cool off massively before they turned to sparks. And I doubt they trade sparks so unless injury I don't think we see sparks this year. Mac would have to have 4 or 5 starts of .850%~ before they switch it up

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Mcelhinney has a .910% he would have to cool off massively before they turned to sparks. And I doubt they trade sparks so unless injury I don't think we see sparks this year. Mac would have to have 4 or 5 starts of .850%~ before they switch it up

Yeah I think the Boston game gave McElhinney a little longer leash. He knows he's fighting for his job every night when he plays because he's not stupid. He can see that Sparks and Pickard are doing well.

It's nice to have competition, it keeps everyone working hard.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

In all honesty, Sparks is likely a better goalie than McBackup at present.

I'll be curious if other teams start calling about Sparks

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

let them call, no reason for us to trade him.

Sparks may be but he didn't cover himself in glory in his NHL stint, team was bad but still. He is in a hot patch and hopefully it sticks but it doesn't make him ready to be a permanent NHL backup

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
let them call, no reason for us to trade him.

Sparks may be but he didn't cover himself in glory in his NHL stint, team was bad but still. He is in a hot patch and hopefully it sticks but it doesn't make him ready to be a permanent NHL backup

I would agree that there likely isn't an immediate need for him at present but will be curious to see if he gets a game or two at some point in the season if he keeps performing like this.

He had a strong year the previous season too.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It was not anywhere near the level of these. Not even close. Also at 1:32 the hit on Kesler, that's a crosscheck to the head

Again not condoning what Marchment did I just don't see it as anything in the league of the above incidents

That's why he only got 2 games Salt and there going hard on hits to the head now days

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Marlies are also a powerhouse this year, don't get too caught up in Sparks hype. He lets in some really "weak" goals at the AHL level.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marlies are also a powerhouse this year, don't get too caught up in Sparks hype. He lets in some really "weak" goals at the AHL level.

So does Carey Price and basically any other goalie.
Marlies werent a powerhouse last season and Sparks was still great.
Maybe Sparks is a good goalie, and isnt being carried by a powerhouse team?

Reactions: Menzinger

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Everyone lets in weak goals sometimes.

Not everyone can essentially win games on their own like Sparks has done in the past. There are times when Sparks put up 40 save performances while the Marlies were lucky to get 20 shots, but it was enough for the Marlies to win the game.

He's been ready for an NHL job since the first time he was called up. It definitely was not the best of performances, but Andersen has had like 2 or 3 of those types of stretches in little over 1 season with the Leafs, and this defense is far better than whatever Sparks was given. Sparks has also improved a lot since then.

I'm good with McElhinney as the backup right now, but if we ever needed an upgrade, I'm not looking at trades. I'm looking at Sparks (or maybe Pickard).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Kaskisuo has a nice .923 .SVV with Chicago right now, but he does not look super great. Chicago is not an amazing team either IMO, but he looks out of position on a lot of chances against. Giving up some bad rebounds too. Obviously there is more to his game since you don't usually get that by fluke behind a terrible team (He's only 1-4 despite that save percentage; Chicago only has 9 points this season, 3 way tie for last place).

I kind of hope Vegas is willing to trade for him. It'd be nice to see him get a shot in the NHL somewhere, and I think he is better than Lagace... Not that it's too difficult to beat out a .860 at the NHL level.

If the Leafs really desperately want contract space, I can see them doing something similar to the Ashton deal from a few years ago:

:leafs
Conditional 7th round pick 2018 (based on Kasimir Kaskisuo resigning for next year)

:vegas
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Trevor Moore

That drops them from 49 to 47 this year, plus let's us get out of Moore's deal for next year, which is the real value. Leafs actually take a loss on this deal since Moore at the very least has some value, especially to a team lacking prospect depth near the NHL, but I am sure the Leafs would rather use that contract spot on someone besides an undersized winger lower down on their depth chart.

If the Leafs are lucky, maybe they could get our 6th back out of Kaskisuo and Moore (or another prospect). Maybe throw in one of our 7th round picks. Insignificant deal, but those are the types that are going down right now and Vegas could really use a goalie. Kaskisuo gives them someone who could be a better starter than Lagace, plus someone who gives depth even when injuries pop up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad