Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
If you read the post you replied to, you'd realize why Dermott doesn't fit that group..

I read the post but thanks for checking. Was simply adding that there's another great LHD prospect to add to the depth on that side. Didn't say the poster missed it or should have added.

Apologize for any confusion

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
So right now our Swedish defensive depth is Rosen, Borgman, Liljegren, and Lindgren. Aside from Salming being proud of how deep this particular position is, there's a defenseman on every level of the NHL-readiness scale.

Rosen may have concussion issues but he's the most ready, then we have the upcomers. Borgman is similar to Liljegren development wise but possibly a little closer. He also has a higher ceiling than Rosen supposedly.

Of note, all of these players (aside from Liljegren) are left hand shots meaning that they will be competing with Rielly and Gardiner for ice time, 5v4 minutes in particular where their offensive skills can shine. Seeing as how they're all competent puck movers, they're built tailor made to replace Rielly or Gardiner in case of injury (knock on wood) but at the same time, I can't help but wonder about how they'll be integrated into the leafs lineup if they wow management's socks off. Or if they're going to be getting a chance, to begin with...

Gardiner has 2 years left on his contract, he will lose his 2nd LH pairing spot, sometime this year or the next, to one of the following players, Rosen, Borgman, Dermott, Valiev

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Gardiner has 2 years left on his contract, he will lose his 2nd LH pairing spot, sometime this year or the next, to one of the following players, Rosen, Borgman, Dermott, Valiev

Nielsen is far more likely to take it over Valiev. Valiev is verging on bust territory unless he can really turn things around next year.

Valiev is also exclusively a RD at this point, so that knocks those chances at 2LD down a lot more too.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Borgman is way closer to Rosen than Liljegren. Borgman is only a year younger than Rosen...

I saw the SHL rookie of the year and thought he'd be much younger :laugh:

It will be interesting to see how each of them adapts to the AHL considering their respective breadth of SHL experience.

(also my bad on considering Lindgren a LDH, he's a RHD. He's far from making the Leafs though...)

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Nielsen is far more likely to take it over Valiev. Valiev is verging on bust territory unless he can really turn things around next year.

Valiev is also exclusively a RD at this point, so that knocks those chances at 2LD down a lot more too.

Valiev had "knee surgery" early to mid-season, he is not busting :laugh: He should be 100% starting next season. Valiev is also an LHD that can play RD :nod:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah Valiev makes too many mistakes and turnovers.
Dont be surprised if he is a 7th d man for the Marlies.

Dermott
Neilsen
Holl
Borgman
Rosen
Than maybe Timothy if he plays for the Marlies. Plus other depth
Are all ahead of Valiev

Is Vince Vega to reply with laughing emojis?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yeah Valiev makes too many mistakes and turnovers.
Dont be surprised if he is a 7th d man for the Marlies.

Dermott
Neilsen
Holl
Borgman
Rosen
Than maybe Timothy if he plays for the Marlies. Plus other depth
Are all ahead of Valiev

Is Vince Vega to reply with laughing emojis?

you know I don't pay attention to you :laugh:

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I saw the SHL rookie of the year and thought he'd be much younger :laugh:

It will be interesting to see how each of them adapts to the AHL considering their respective breadth of SHL experience.

(also my bad on considering Lindgren a LDH, he's a RHD. He's far from making the Leafs though...)

Yeah, I really think ONE of Borgman/Rosen will make the Leafs out of camp... (rather than Dermott). We'll see how it plays it, it'll be an interesting pre-season! Thats for sure! :)

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yup laughing emojis. Boy is this guy insecure.:laugh:

Valiev maybe used in a trade

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Valiev got incredibly overrated by few folks here. He should be a 7th d man here. Keefe agrees with the way he didnt play him much.
Wierd how Holl looked better away from Valiev

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yeah, I really think ONE of Borgman/Rosen will make the Leafs out of camp... (rather than Dermott). We'll see how it plays it, it'll be an interesting pre-season! Thats for sure! :)

I am guessing Rosen is further along than Borgman, Rosen being a spare on the WC winning team.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I am guessing Rosen is further along than Borgman, Rosen being a spare on the WC winning team.

Yeah, I think you may be right... but it appears Borgman really turned in on and improved throughout the season.

Borgman was the highest scoring D-man in the SHL in the playoffs last seaon. (10 points in 14 games)

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
So PPP posted an article about these defensemen some time ago, check it out here.

Reading it made me even more interested in the Borgman signing seeing as he was the SHL's champion HV71's leading defense scorer in the playoffs. Usually, younger guys/rookies aren't relied upon that heavily, especially in the playoffs. So it means that he earned the minutes due to his play for the top SHL team...

For comparison's sake, Liljegren is going to a much weaker team (that wasn't relegated according to EP) and should hopefully be getting more minutes due to the team's lack of strength but also because he has more experience against SHL competition. This will be the 3rd professional SHL season for this young grey beard.

Speaking of experience, Rosen has been playing against men since he was 21 so he should be better physically equipped for the AHL. There are concussion issues to worry about though. Nevertheless, the Marlies defense should consist of
Dermott (LHD),
Nielsen (LHD),
Rosen (LHD),
Borgman (LHD),
Valiev (LHD),
Holl (RHD), and
LoVerde (RHD).

That's a lot of depth on the left side for the Leafs if their third pairing guy was actually the SHL playoffs' top defense scorer...

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
So PPP posted an article about these defensemen some time ago, check it out here.

Reading it made me even more interested in the Borgman signing seeing as he was the SHL's champion HV71's leading defense scorer in the playoffs. Usually, younger guys/rookies aren't relied upon that heavily, especially in the playoffs. So it means that he earned the minutes due to his play for the top SHL team...

For comparison's sake, Liljegren is going to a much weaker team (that wasn't relegated according to EP) and should hopefully be getting more minutes due to the team's lack of strength but also because he has more experience against SHL competition. This will be the 3rd professional SHL season for this young grey beard.

Speaking of experience, Rosen has been playing against men since he was 21 so he should be better physically equipped for the AHL. There are concussion issues to worry about though. Nevertheless, the Marlies defense should consist of
Dermott (LHD),
Nielsen (LHD),
Rosen (LHD),
Borgman (LHD),
Valiev (LHD),

Holl (RHD), and
LoVerde (RHD).

That's a lot of depth on the left side if the third pairing guy was actually the SHL's leading defense scorer...

good bye, Jake ...

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lets hope Gardiner signs a long term extension here. We have some good prospects coming and maybe Jake would help them.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
good bye, Jake ...

Why goodbye Jake? Out of all those names I see only 2 that have the potential to become as good or better than Gardiner. Dermott and Borgman. I'm being nice by saying Borgman because I've never seen him play but he won rookie of the year in the Swedish top league so he's gotta have some potential.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Why goodbye Jake? Out of all those names, I see only 2 that have the potential to become as good or better than Gardiner. Dermott and Borgman. I'm being nice by saying, Borgman, because I've never seen him play but he won rookie of the year in the Swedish top league so he's gotta have some potential.

Jake is a heavily sheltered 2nd pairing 5vs5 player, not a good defender in his own zone, cant PK. Those young players coming in all have good all around games, supposedly.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
ignoring what, I have made points, smh ...

The responses you've got every other time you make that point.

Jake is a heavily sheltered

He's played a sheltered role, and dominated. He's played a normal second pairing role, and excelled. He's played a normal #1 role, and did decent.

He's not a player who succeeds due to sheltering.

not a good defender in his own zone

He gets good defensive results, in measures that account for context and by looking at how he performs versus different brackets of QoC.

Bottom line is that he's a dominant second pairing driver who can fill in as a #1, who can put up 40+ points for us and always steps up in playoff time.

Unless we become Nashville, guys like him don't get pushed out by depth.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Jake is a heavily sheltered 2nd pairing 5vs5 player, not a good defender in his own zone, cant PK. Those young players coming in all have good all around games, supposedly.

You'd think after playing 1000+ 5v5 minutes each of the past 3 seasons, other coaches would try to match their offensive guys up against Gardiner at some point to take advantage of how "bad" he is defensively and drive his goals against up.

Weird how they don't ever seem to do that, almost like his most common opponents are already guys like Eichel and Turris but he still comes out on top by quite a bit in the long run. Babcock must be just a generational genius at sheltering players to find a way to hide Gardiner for over 1000 5v5 minutes.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Apparently Jack Walker is at Minnesota Wild development camp? I guess he's no longer in the Leafs organization. Weird.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Apparently Jack Walker is at Minnesota Wild development camp? I guess he's no longer in the Leafs organization. Weird.

Huh? Link? We still own his rights.

Nvm just saw it on Reddit. There may be another explanation but that's pretty strange.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

good, nothing prospect anyway. Cant go back to jnr so im happy we arent wasting a ELC on a player who wont make the marlies. On Wing or D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad