Pros, cons and question marks heading into next season?

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
Pros:
  • High-end top line
  • Decent Grinders (Hansen, Higgins, Kenins, Dorsett, Prust)

Cons:
  • Only three centre-men signed
  • Below average top four d-core
  • Lack of size or physicality
  • Soft top-six
  • Below average second line
  • Not a lot of speed
  • No PP QB
  • Average #1 goalie
  • Only one F/O ace (Horvat)

Question marks:
  • Bartschi
  • Sbisa
  • Markstrom
  • Vey
  • PP
  • How will PK fair with young lineup?

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Ryan Effing Miller.

If he's good...
damn it, another middling season.

If he repeats...
hurrah, stealth tank is on!

If he's worse...
#LoseOftenForAuston

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Pros:

Good young forward crop coming up.
Sedins still Sedins.
With all those guys we can sure as hell throw a killer bottom six together.

Cons:

Defense still bad and getting worse.
Not much in the pipes for D this season at least.
No real muscle or intimidation left on team.
Everyone else in the West besides Arizona and SJ got better this offseason.
GM telegraphs every move he makes and is a master of minimizing assets.
PP not looking like it'll improve much unless the young kids have killer seasons.

?:

Goaltending.
Baertschi, Virtanen, Corrado, young guys.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Add Clendening and Corrado to the question mark list.

I do see Gaunce making the team, either as 4C or 3LW.

I don't think Dorsett and Prust will play much together. Prust likely 4LW, Hansen 4RW and Dorsett 3RW,

new young prospects making this year's team: Markstrom, Beartschi, Clendening, Corrado, Gaunce & possibly Kenins and Virtanen. Add last year's Vey, Horvat, Sbisa and the long term signing of Tanev, that is well over half of the old team replaces with new, younger players. That seems to be a re-build almost completed to me.

I think the Sedins, Hamhuis and Edler will be the only ones kept from the old core as mentors, plus Miller, Dorsett and Prust kept for 2 seasons to fill specific roles. The season after this will see the final year of rebuild with the departure of Miller, Prust and Dorsett at trade deadline.

Last edited:

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
Pros:
Finally some promising youth in the lineup (Horvat, Baertschi +)
An above average 1st line
Good forward depth
Miller + Markstrom should be no worse than average

Cons
Outside of the top 3 Def looks weak (Hard pressed to survive a major injury)
2nd line is far below average
Forwards lack speed
A year older

?
Does age take a bigger bite out The Sedins, Vrbata, Hamius, Miller
Can the youth improve/step up (Horvat, Baertschi, Clendening/Corrado)
Do the coach favourites continue to be overused (Dorset, Vey, Sbisa)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently the Canucks and Sven Baertschi are at loggerheads on a new contract...where have we heard this story before?.....wants a one-way deal and appears that Benning is offering a two-way......assuming it gets done before training camp, but you have to wonder whether there's a trend here with this player.:help:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I don't blame Sven. I can't blame GMJB for putting himself in that spot either as we all generally liked the trade

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
pro=we get to watch the sedins for a little longer
con=benning is in charge
question mark=just how much power play time will dorsett get next season?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Apparently the Canucks and Sven Baertschi are at loggerheads on a new contract...where have we heard this story before?.....wants a one-way deal and appears that Benning is offering a two-way......assuming it gets done before training camp, but you have to wonder whether there's a trend here with this player.:help:
I doubt it is the player. They were happy to give a 1 way to Kenins, they have Baertschi slotted in top 6. Assuming he isn't asking for a ton of extra money just give him the 1-way deal, he isn't going to make it through waivers anyway. $900K 1-way, hardly killer.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Question marks:
- Can our 2nd line provide a more consistent push this yr? Will we have a 2nd unit PP? : I.e. Baertschi's effect, production
- Markstrom
- Will Virtanen earn a spot on the roster (so many things swing if that happens!)

Pros:
- Sedins
- depth in our 4 lines still among the best in conference.. Will be able to roll 4 better than most teams.
- further incorporation of youth
- Based on Games played last yr, Kassian and Richardson shouldn't be as missed as many think... Based on the season he had, 2014-2015 Bieksa will not be difficult to replace on the ice...
- Willie D. Is a year seasoned... And our players (D especially) will be an extra yr experienced with the new systems.
- (Also I don't share in the belief of the blanket statement people throw out there that 'everyone around us got better'... It's a myth that will be busted in short order once the season starts..)

Cons:
- Losing Bieksa's experience in the room, and in game situations... Decreased experience in general.
- Losing Matthias' goals and relying on committee to fill
- Losing Lack's Canuck flavoured tweets

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
pros: mountains, trees, and ocean

cons: more and more exceedingly foolish transactions, coach is a motorized elastic band rigged up to open the bench door at regular intervals, once youthful linden going greyer and greyer, new yorker says region will fall into the ocean

questions: why do i (we?) still care?

and yet here we are, "here" both literally and figuratively.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Pros:
  • High-end top line
  • Decent Grinders (Hansen, Higgins, Kenins, Dorsett, Prust)

Cons:

• [*]Only three centre-men signed
  • Below average top four d-core
  • Lack of size or physicality
  • Soft top-six
  • Below average second line
  • Not a lot of speed
  • No PP QB
  • Average #1 goalie
  • Only one F/O ace (Horvat)

Question marks:
  • Bartschi
  • Sbisa
  • Markstrom
  • Vey
  • PP
  • How will PK fair with young lineup?
Sedin
Horvat
Bonino
Vey

?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I really don't get pushing these guys into two-way contracts unless they are actually considering passing them through waivers. What am I missing?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I doubt Baertschi's contract is being hung up based on 1-way vs 2-way. It's probably over the money value which I'm guessing is going to end up over a mil per year at least.

palefire

Jun 3, 2005
Baertschi's agent is no doubt aware that JB is usually willing to overpay, especially to sign his acquisitions.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pros :

- quality top line
- elite shutdown defensive pairing
- still decent depth through bottom-6

Cons :

- utterly atrocious blueline past top 3 guys. Possibly worst group in NHL 4-7.
- below-average goaltending
- reduced forward depth
- 'fresh start' from new coach last year is gone, dissatisfaction was brewing in last year's playoffs

Question marks :

- can Baertschi provide 2nd line NHL scoring?
- are Clendening and Corrado serviceable full-time NHL players?
- how long until Markstrom outplays Miller?
- can Horvat establish himself as a #2 center? Will Willie give him the chance?

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Last year was more positive as we saw Bo Horvat enter the league. In terms of retooling....

It should be all about youth.

Pros:
- Watching Bo Horvat develop. Same goes for Vey, but with less enthusiasm.
- We speculate that Baertschi is going to be a full time NHL player. Hopeful that he can be important in the process albeit he's the only one of the first year guys playing a big role. Though this isn't even a sure thing.
- See if Markstrom has what it takes to be a NHL-er.
- Ronald Kenins full year, maybe?

Cons:
- Not enough youth. Corrado and Cledenning will practically be fighting for the last spot and where they will fit remains uncertain.
- Doesn't seem like anyone else of the prospects will have a shot.
- Basically the same team last year.
- Would like to see more Canuck draftees to start getting looks.

Question:
What will define this team this year in terms of progression into the future. Will we get a top pick? If the Canucks manage to pull a season, like they did last year and make it to the playoffs with the exact same team they had last year, then is that a successful year if there is absolutely no progression from the youth?

Best thing for the "re-tool" is if, Bo Horvat/young guys are the only positive, and the Canucks sell off their assets at the deadline. Get a top pick, and acquiring many picks/prospects from UFA. Worse case scenario, Making the playoffs/just making the cut with old players and losing in the first round. Zero youth progression, and losing old players to free agency rather than getting assets for them.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Pro's:
- The Sedins giving the team a legit top line
- Vrbata being a natural scorer who's fun to watch
- Great shutdown pairing with Edler-Tanev
-strong bottom 6 group of forwards

Cons:
- Fan faves in Lack and Kassian gone
- Team is still soft and not fast enough, void of offensive skill outside of the top line
- Defense looks weak outside of the top 3
- Team is due for regression according to war-on-ice's scoring chance rates
- stuck in no man's land, this team isn't winning a cup, or getting a top pick, and certainly isn't trending up

Questions:
- Will WD finally remove the likes of Higgins/Burrows/Dorsett off of the 2nd PP and play Horvat and Baertschi?
- Will Yannick Weber finally be the answer to the first unit's lack of a RHD at the point?
- Will the youth be given a fair chance by WD and how will they fare?
- Does Benning have the green light or even want to sell at the TDL of this team is out of the playoffs at that point?
- Will they simply stand pat at the TDL if they're sitting in the 7-9 position in the West?
- Can the PK have another strong season?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Pros:
  • High draft pick
  • One year closer to Benning being fired
  • Sedins should still be good and entertaining to watch

Cons:
  • Outside of our 1st line, 3rd line, and top defensive pairing, we're bad. We should be a bottom 10 team, won't be fun to watch. Bad defense + bad goaltending = lots of goals against.
  • Benning has another year to make the team worse overall (current and future) with terrible trades and signings.
  • No/very little personality left with Bieksa, Lack, and Kassian gone.

?:
  • Young, inexperienced players (Markstrom, Baertschi, Corrado, Clendening, etc).
  • Benning's ability to make a good choice with our high draft pick in next year's draft. In back to back years he used our highest draft picks to select wingers when we're severely lacking high-end defensive prospects and a potential offensive top 6 center for when Hank retires.
  • Does Vrbata and/or Hamhuis get moved and will we get a high value return (1st/equal prospect+), will they be re-signed, or will they walk as UFAs?
  • Will there be enough outcry from a poor season + no playoffs to put Benning's job in jeopardy?

May 31, 2006
Pros:

- Team with lots of character, hard working, and hard to play against. Good coaching too.
- Some great youth, with top prospect Virtanen looking to make the team and other youngsters like Baertschi and Vey.
- Mobile defense with Corrado, Weber, Sbisa, Bartkowski. Should help the transition game.
- Still many veterans on the roster like the Sedins and Hamhuis. Also a veteran calming presence in net with Miller.
- Lots of cap space left to improve the team.

Cons:

- Too many overpaid players like Bonino, Higgins, and Hansen who don't produce for their role.
- The Sedins might not be good enough anymore.
- Little high-end talent on the blueline. A by committee approach will be needed on D, to take advantage of our depth on the position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad