Pros and cons of missing the playoffs, a simple game?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Do you actually think the Pens 4 GM's would give all hockey control to Babcock?

I don't care what Guerin, Botterill, etc. have to say anymore. They lost all credibility and should be stripped of any/all power they have after it came out they huddled up and all but demanded Lovejoy be brought back at any cost.

If Lemieux/Burkle want this team to win Cups, and I really don't know if they do--but that's another story, they will go after Babcock and give him whatever kind of money/control over the team that he wants. Whether or not he has issues with playing vets over young guys, whether or not he has warts, he's still the best coach available. You want to fix things, you go about getting the best you possibly can at any given position, and the coach is no different.

Babcock's got his warts, but he still puts us in a better position to succeed moving forward than any other coach available. Sid and Geno will listen to him and take his word as gospel, and the others will follow suit. I'd also be very excited to see Geno being used in a more predatory role under Babcock like he uses Datsyuk. More PK time, more end to end play.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Pros:
Johnston fired, Bylsma returns
Kunitz and Scuderi given another year to return to forum under a coach who knows how to use them

Cons:
Lemieux will still be there telling people he wants them to actively avoid winning another Cup so he won't feel upstaged by Crosby

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Fans that actually want to miss the playoffs are pathetic.

Right, because being satisfied with the way things have gone for the past 5 years makes you Mr. Positive Shining Star #1 Super Fan!

Get off your high horse. This team is utter garbage, and the only shot we have at seeing things finally fixed is if the powers that be finally wake up. If that means missing the playoffs, especially in a year where we have damn near no shot at even making it out of the first, so be it.

Do you want to see four more games this year--cuz that's all your getting--or do you want to see this team get its head out of its ass and start to conduct itself like the premier organization it's supposed to be?

member 51464

All snark aside, the biggest reason I prefer a playoff appearance (besides the whole "once you are in, anything can happen" thing), is that it helps close the gap on the Flyers a bit. The douches in orange have made the playoffs 37 times in franchise history, and the Penguins 29. Only being down 7 would be nice.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Right, because being satisfied with the way things have gone for the past 5 years makes you Mr. Positive Shining Star #1 Super Fan!

Get off your high horse. This team is utter garbage, and the only shot we have at seeing things finally fixed is if the powers that be finally wake up. If that means missing the playoffs, especially in a year where we have damn near no shot at even making it out of the first, so be it.

Do you want to see four more games this year--cuz that's all your getting--or do you want to see this team get its head out of its ass and start to conduct itself like the premier organization it's supposed to be?

If you make the playoffs, anything can happen. Especially if you have 2 of the best 3 players in the world.

This fanbase can be so unbelievably spoiled.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
This mess all started when the players started whining about Therrien, then quit on him. They didn't quit because he wasn't coaching effectively, they just didn't like being held accountable.

Look, the former player who is part owner of the team probably sacrificed a couple more cups by chasing the best coach in league history out of town. That coach was tough, but the results over his career speak for themself.

The country club culture has been a problem here for a lot longer than this newer generation of fans realizes.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
If you make the playoffs, anything can happen. Especially if you have 2 of the best 3 players in the world.

It's not happening with this team. I know everybody wants to hop on the LA Kings philosophy. The Penguins don't have a 3rd or 4th line who can contribute. Their first two lines, and stars, get shut down too easily.

member 51464

This mess all started when the players started whining about Therrien, then quit on him. They didn't quit because he wasn't coaching effectively, they just didn't like being held accountable.

Look, the former player who is part owner of the team probably sacrificed a couple more cups by chasing the best coach in league history out of town. That coach was tough, but the results over his career speak for themself.

The country club culture has been a problem here for a lot longer than this newer generation of fans realizes.
Bowman was the coach of arguably the greatest Pens team of all-time when they failed to make it happen for 3 in a row. So, I disagree. If not '93, where are these other 2 Cups the Pens would've picked up along the way? '96, maybe? I just don't buy that line, and I have heard it thrown around a lot over the years. Tangential from this particular conversation, but just made me want to speak up.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sure, anything could happen.

You know what is gonna happen? We're going to get absolutely embarrassed regardless of who we play. Why? Cuz Geno's got a lingering injury. Letang's brain is scrambled. Maatta's out. Martin's Martin. Lovejoy and Scuderi are 7th/8th defensemen on any team worth a ****. Kunitz is playing like a corpse on skates. Comeau's back to being a career 4th liner. Our bottom six is a mess because Sutter's as wholly ineffective as I've ever seen a supposed "great 3C" be.

And the powers that be won't give a ****, because they get their playoff revenue. All Lemieux/Burkle/Morehouse/etc. give a **** about is the bottom line. Nothing's going to change until people stop buying Pens gear, games stop selling out, or we miss the playoffs. Those are the only things that will possibly snap them out of their current ways.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
The only pro that interests me is it maybe increases their chance of really going after Babcock.
Getting Babcock means neutering the AGMs (or canning them, either fine).
It's the best chance to change the culture from the top down, and put someone in charge of roster who has a clue.

I ONLY see those types of changes as possible with Babcock. And those are the ONLY types of changes that matter IMO.

Possible? Doubt it. Too many Family members would have to get ****canned. But I dare to dream.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Pros:

- MJ likely gets canned
- They likely pursue a legit NHL coach
- Team brass FINALLY realizes this team has been headed in the wrong direction for the last 5 years and finally decides to do something about it
- Fans stop pissing out their hard-earned money to watch a losing product.

Cons:

- All the potential pros I mentioned will likely be ignored regardless, and the team will just continue down the same path as long as the CEC is full every night.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Pros:

not much. Maybe they will finally start to rebuild a bit. We dont have any picks tho. But maybe, just maybe they will blow it up for real this time and we get a few picks back from the trades.

Con:

I will have to be put on suicide watch when the Oilers win McDavid with our 1st round pick.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pros:

- MJ likely gets canned
- They likely pursue a legit NHL coach
- Team brass FINALLY realizes this team has been headed in the wrong direction for the last 5 years and finally decides to do something about it
- Fans stop pissing out their hard-earned money to watch a losing product.

Cons:

- All the potential pros I mentioned will likely be ignored regardless, and the team will just continue down the same path as long as the CEC is full every night.

So, basically what happens every offseason . . . you go into it hoping for the best and expecting the worst? :laugh:

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
+ MJ gets it
+ getting rid of experience
+ less stress, more sleep
- no playoffs + being the subject of ridicule
- we do not get rid of experience
- stupid trades that will make us wish we made the playoffs
- Kunitz still being here
- blaming injuries
- Kunitz still being here
- reading excuses by the Pittsburgh Propaganda machine (Goebbels would have been proud)

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

You haven't a clue about the "fan base". And 2 great players don't make a team. The Pens have next to zero chance of going far in the playoffs. That's not me being a bad fan, that's me being a tad more knowledgeable than the "yay dilly bars fans".

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not making the playoffs wouldn't have any real benefit to the pens. If flaming out in the first round doesnt light fires. Missing it won't either. All that woudl happen is we'd be more pissed when our draft pick is a bit higher.

People that want the pens to miss the playoffs for a wake up call... I don't blame the thought process there. I just think that it would change nothing that wouldn't already change

Very well said.

Missing does nothing but satisfy disdain against an ownership they feel is doing nothing contrary to that point.

Build upon what you have good going forward and keep moving forward, asking, for the injury bug to go away.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Pros:
Johnston fired, Bylsma returns
Kunitz and Scuderi given another year to return to forum under a coach who knows how to use them

Cons:
Lemieux will still be there telling people he wants them to actively avoid winning another Cup so he won't feel upstaged by Crosby

Yeah because thats all it will take. :laugh:

plenewken

May 1, 2010
Pros: This will allow me to not watch this pathetic bunch of underachievers being sent packing in the 1st round
Cons: Might not be enough to make Mngt admit that they screwed the pooch and that major changes must happen, from top to bottom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad