Post-Game Talk: Props to Tippett, fluffed all the right buttons tonight

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If Nuge keeps playing well and Tippett is able to flip around McDavid/Drai/Nuge in the top 6 any time he pleases, we will be giving opponents major fits.

Was wrong to think Tippett was being like McLellan and using McDrai on the same line as some kind of permanent security blanket. Tippett is mixing it up nicely and the players are handling the moving around very well too.

Exactly. Its the shifting it around and being able to start any period in McDraicheatmode that is driving coaches nuts.

Kelly Hrudey as well. In the latest Flames set he's fuming "I bet we see McDrai now for all of the last 5mins of the game. He was so pissed off at the thought of it.

Its a great wrinkle too that TIppett is often unwrapping McDrai just after an opponent PP when they have just had their best forwards out on ice. That we can add Nurse/Barrie to that line any time makes it peak unit in the NHL by miles. Hardly even matters whatever other forward is on for the ride. I prefer it be Pulju, seems to work the best.

Then when teams try to adapt to that and find some success we just split them up again. Its a nightmare for opponent coaching prep and line matching.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Exactly. Its the shifting it around and being able to start any period in McDraicheatmode that is driving coaches nuts.

Kelly Hrudey as well. In the latest Flames set he's fuming "I bet we see McDrai now for all of the last 5mins of the game. He was so pissed off at the thought of it.

Its a great wrinkle too that TIppett is often unwrapping McDrai just after an opponent PP when they have just had their best forwards out on ice. That we can add Nurse/Barrie to that line any time makes it peak unit in the NHL by miles. Hardly even matters whatever other forward is on for the ride. I prefer it be Pulju, seems to work the best.

Then when teams try to adapt to that and find some success we just split them up again. Its a nightmare for opponent coaching prep and line matching.

Yep, that was almost the best part of the night! And gotta love how interchangeable the top 6 is like you said, nightmares for the other coach and you can't predict it. It's a nice weapon to have in the arsenal that'll hopefully do the same in the playoffs. If only we could make it to the 3rd round, Oilers have basically been playing playoff hockey all season, US teams would have no idea what they're up against. Might sound like wishful thinking but Oilers have some serious weapons, more so than ever. And by ever I mean decades lol.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If Nuge keeps playing well and Tippett is able to flip around McDavid/Drai/Nuge in the top 6 any time he pleases, we will be giving opponents major fits.

Was wrong to think Tippett was being like McLellan and using McDrai on the same line as some kind of permanent security blanket. Tippett is mixing it up nicely and the players are handling the moving around very well too.

Tippett's utilizing the Nuclear Option very well. McDavid has been other worldly and running Draisaitl alongside is giving Draisaitl excellent sniping opportunity in high quality areas on the ice. Getting more shot opportunities is critical for the team's best snipe show. Great to have this option for tight games or momentum drivers when the team needs a lift.

Nugent Hopkins can hold down the second line support when Tippett runs the stack. If/when this team can add another big, scoring top six winger I think this team will be really scary with the match up issues they will have available.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
Pulj should have gotten an assist on that
I know I'm late with this. But I made a gif for twitter, so I'll put it here too.
not-puljujarvi.gif

You can see PJ swings his stick trying to get it in the net, but misses. The Jets player passes it to McDavid, unfortunately.

Reactions: nally

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
I know I'm late with this. But I made a gif for twitter, so I'll put it here too.
not-puljujarvi.gif

You can see PJ swings his stick trying to get it in the net, but misses. The Jets player passes it to McDavid, unfortunately.
Man, Snoopac, thank you for that...awesome! STILL THOUGH...hahaha, Pulj made the play happen, regardless of whether he touched the puck...so give him an assist. : P

Reactions: SnooPac

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
not-puljujarvi.gif

Tongue half way out though. Trademark thing. :laugh:

Reactions: SnooPac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad