Proposed Rule Change -(Icing)

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I propose a rule change on icing, that being if the puck crosses the red line directly into the trapezoid, icing is waived. Reason being, the Goalie can play the puck within the trapezoid, so if the puck enters within the front lines of the Trapezoid (eight feet from each goal post) then the goalie is forced to either play the puck, possible turnover or the offense has a chance to recover and set up for an offensive play. Either way, I believe it would increase the excitement of the game and possibly give it an offensive uptick. It would also force teams at the end of the game to play hard when the goalie is pulled and a shot is taken and just misses the net. Time keeps on ticking giving the game leader just a little advantage also.

Your thought?

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Any changes to the icing rule would be to make it more punishing, not less.
how would this make it more punishing? it keeps play from being stopped and gives the offense a chance to recover and set up a potential scoring chance.

Also, it would allow the defense to change when they have been on the ice for a long time, since play would continue, and last it would force teams who pull their goalie to play the entire rink, instead of just the red line in, when the puck is shot the length of the ice.(provided it enters the trapezoid as specified.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Another suggestion with the irrefutable logic that somehow, purely having more goals would increase "excitement".

I counter with making all goals worth 2. Add a 3 point line. Goals scored in the neutral zone are worth 3. Add a free throw for penalties. Shot on open net from your own crease. Boom. Instant excitement.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
how would this make it more punishing? it keeps play from being stopped and gives the offense a chance to recover and set up a potential scoring chance.

Also, it would allow the defense to change when they have been on the ice for a long time, since play would continue, and last it would force teams who pull their goalie to play the entire rink, instead of just the red line in, when the puck is shot the length of the ice.(provided it enters the trapezoid as specified.

Obviously it wouldn't make icing more punishing....
I didn't think that even need explaining on a hockey forum.

Reactions: mikeyfan

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Also, it would allow the defense to change when they have been on the ice for a long time.

lol

We don’t want that! Are you new at hockey? No so long time ago it was possible and the no change rule after icing fixed that « problem ».

It actually creates more offense and goals because the team being under pressure can’t just clear their zone like they would do on PK. So the play keeps going.

Reactions: mikeyfan

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
i'd rather just remove the trapezoid than try to further complicate icing. make dump and chase harder on teams.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Proposed rule change - icing

Bring back touch icing

Imagine that

People here would lose their shit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad