Proposed MLS Divisional Alignment 2020

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The two current conferences are starting to become unwieldy. So in 2020, I have proposed a 3-conference, 6-division alignment.

Eastern Conference:
Atlantic Division:
Montreal Impact
New England Revolution
New York City FC
New York Red Bulls
Philadelphia Union

Southeast Division:
Atlanta United FC
D.C. United
Inter Miami CF
Orlando City SC

Central Conference:
Great Lakes Division:
Chicago Fire
Columbus Crew SC (it looks like they are staying from what I have read, correct me if I'm wrong)
FC Cincinnati
Minnesota United FC
Toronto FC

South Central Division:
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
Nashville
Sporting Kansas City

Western Conference:
Northwest Division:
Portland Timbers
San Jose Earthquakes
Seattle Sounders FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Southwest Division:
Colorado Rapids
LA Galaxy
Los Angeles FC
Real Salt Lake

This would apply for the 2020 season at least. Further expansion might cause some teams to change divisions.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
With the league growing still and multiple teams looking like they’ll be added in the next few years, it’s probably best to wait and see where these teams are going

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Let's hope they stop with all this crap and make it one standing, one conference.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It works everywhere.
It's comparing apples and oranges. Traveling across England is like traveling across Michigan. A league with the United States and Canada just can't have 1 giant conference like Euro Football.

3 conferences also wouldn't work for playoffs. If anything, they would just add divisions to the 2 conference layout.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I mean one final standing, one conference, you can play more matches in the season vs. local 'rivals" but come playoff time it's wide open.

Look at the stupid MLB standings now. Why are the Yankees and Oakland the 3rd and 4th best team in baseball not even in the playoffs?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Single-conference format works if you're playing a balanced schedule. They're not playing 50 games and they're not playing 25 games.

If you're not playing a balanced schedule, you've got to schedule in groups, so just align in groups. No one finishes 25th.

Reactions: sabremike

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Expand to 40 teams, 20 teams per conference, 38 games regular season, each team plays only conference opponents home and away.

Opposing conference teams meet only in the MLS Cup Final. Which are to be determined by two teams on top of the table rather than have playoffs within the conference.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Expand to 40 teams, 20 teams per conference, 38 games regular season, each team plays only conference opponents home and away.

Opposing conference teams meet only in the MLS Cup Final. Which are to be determined by two teams on top of the table rather than have playoffs within the conference.
I liked it until the end. I think you kind of have to have the playoffs because it brings in so much money.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The playoffs bring so much money? Where? Lots of empty seats and very small tv ratings come november and december.

Too many teams in them also reduces the interest for the regular season, at the moment we have the worst system possible.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
The playoffs bring so much money? Where? Lots of empty seats and very small tv ratings come november and december.

Too many teams in them also reduces the interest for the regular season, at the moment we have the worst system possible.
My idea makes regular season much more important and would more than compensate for loss of playoff games with more regular season games.

Reactions: New Jersey

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In theory yes. Think how much travel it is for a team like San Jose or Seattle to have to travel across the country for a game then come back then go back.

In theory yes. Think of how much travel it is for a team like Orlando or Miami to have to travel across the country for a game then come back then go back.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Personally I think TFC brand Montreal need to be in the same division. It's such a great rivalry

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
In theory yes. Think of how much travel it is for a team like Orlando or Miami to have to travel across the country for a game then come back then go back.
I get it and having 2 leagues is an awful idea because there’s no where near enough support for 2 separate leagues also you’re further proving my initial point

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I get it and having 2 leagues is an awful idea because there’s no where near enough support for 2 separate leagues also you’re further proving my initial point
What do you mean by 2 leagues? Do you mean conferences? The travel issue you brought up isn't really an issue though, there's 6 teams in states that border the Atlantic and 6 the Pacific. Travel isn't going to be any different for those teams there might be some teams that travel less but that happens in every sport in America cause of its size. If they did a 22 team league, you play each team once so 42 game season. Make the playoffs just the top 4 with home and away ties the semifinals and a 1 game final at a preselected city.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What do you mean by 2 leagues? Do you mean conferences? The travel issue you brought up isn't really an issue though, there's 6 teams in states that border the Atlantic and 6 the Pacific. Travel isn't going to be any different for those teams there might be some teams that travel less but that happens in every sport in America cause of its size. If they did a 22 team league, you play each team once so 42 game season. Make the playoffs just the top 4 with home and away ties the semifinals and a 1 game final at a preselected city.
Like hatterson said, this would be essentially two leagues. I was talking about the 40 teams where there is absolutely no way America could support that.

In America, every sport has playoffs. If you want to gain popularity you can’t just copy some other league. You have to appeal to your audience and Americans want playoffs.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Like hatterson said, this would be essentially two leagues. I was talking about the 40 teams where there is absolutely no way America could support that.

In America, every sport has playoffs. If you want to gain popularity you can’t just copy some other league. You have to appeal to your audience and Americans want playoffs.

How is having a 22 team league where everyone plays each other twice two leagues? I agree 40 teams is just ridiculous as I don't see 40 markets who could support a team. Not sure why Miami is even getting a team as they won't sell out a single game down there, that market is toxic for pro teams unless you have a Lebron James on the team.

I still had a playoff in my format. It was like the old baseball way where it was just two semifinals and then the finals. If you keep adding teams the regular season will expand then with more teams the playoffs too and the season would run way too long.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
How is having a 22 team league where everyone plays each other twice two leagues? I agree 40 teams is just ridiculous as I don't see 40 markets who could support a team. Not sure why Miami is even getting a team as they won't sell out a single game down there, that market is toxic for pro teams unless you have a Lebron James on the team.

I still had a playoff in my format. It was like the old baseball way where it was just two semifinals and then the finals. If you keep adding teams the regular season will expand then with more teams the playoffs too and the season would run way too long.
I think the playoff format now is fine. That’s my problem. It rewards you for the regular season by offering a bye in the first round but also provides the opportunity for a Cinderella story like Seattle the last three years. Seattle is my favorite team and so has been my favorite storyline. I like that there’s the possibility that upsets can happen. If it’s just 4 teams then that’s not an upset. Also i think the first round is the most competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad