Proposal: Proposals Thread: Fix this broken club

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
FORWARDS
Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($6.000m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / Artem Anisimov ($3.283m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m)
Cody Eakin ($1.650m) / Boyd Gordon ($3.000m) / David Moss ($2.750m)
Antti Pihlstrom ($0.750m) / Mark Arcobello ($0.725m) / Matt Hendricks ($1.850m)
Luke Gazdic ($0.721m) / Anton Lander ($0.750m) /
Adam Lowry ($0.828m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m) / Justin Schultz ($2.500m)
Martin Marincin ($0.730m) / Jeff Petry ($3.250m)
Andrew Ference ($3.250m) / Matt Greene ($4.800m)
Oscar Klefbom ($0.894m) /
GOALTENDERS
Viktor Fasth ($2.900m)
Ben Scrivens ($2.300m)

Trade 1:
To WPG: 2014 1st round pick + David Musil
To EDM: Dustin Byfuglien + Adam Lowry

Why for Edmonton we need a power forward and more importantly someone who provides net front presence in the worst way, Buff is one of the best in the league in front of the net, hasn't had as much opportunity to show it given he's been playing defense for the most part. They have a lot of size in there line-up so they can part with both for a potential impact center in the draft.

Trade 2:
To DAL: Sam Gagner
To EDM: Cody Eakins

A little speedier and is better on the forecheck than Gagner and is more defesively responsible. Gagner is more capable of carrying the offensive load than Eakins and adds more punch to Dallas which could use a bit more especially if Peverly is going to be out for a while. Eakins would fill a similair role to Higgins in Vancouver, adding a little needed offensive punch to a 3rd line lacking in offense. Eakins adds utility like Hendricks that he can slide into center if needed.

Trade 3:
To CBJ: Jordan Eberle + Martin Gernat
To EDM: Fedor Tyutin + Artem Anisimov

For Edmonton addresses both of our primary needs in top paid d and a big two way center, but both fall short of being ideal or high impact long term solutions, but should still fill the role adequately. For CBJ they want to add more skill and an impact player and Tyutin is someone who they could potentially stand to lose with Murray there + Jack Johnson and potentially re-signing Nikitin. Anisimov is more expendable with Johanson and Jenner stepping up in a big way.

UFA signings:

• David Moss ($2.75 million for 3 years)- chance to play with Gordon again and a bit of an overpay and a little longer than one would like but not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things
  • Matt Greene ($4.8 million for 2 years)- big overpay but we need a respectable D to cover top minutes as it seems like every other game one of Petry or J. Schultz are having an off night adds stability and a physical presence which we badly need. Similair player to Boychuk minus the big shot so it should provide a little more comfort to Ference or we could pair him with Marincin to provide stability for the young D.
  • Antti Pihlstrom ($0.8 million for 2 years)- plays a high speed game and is gritty and physical, a player I like quite a bit more than Joensuu, I would just loan out Joensuu to some team in Europe to finish off his contract. If he won't oblige through waivers and to the AHL he goes.
  • Marc Arcobello- technically a UFA

I had another version in my head which I'm sure people on this board would like more, but penciling in upper tier UFA's given our struggles just isn't realistic. I am considering standing pat to no longer be an option, Hall must be quickly approaching the end of his rope, if we have to trade him our rebuild might as well start over again.

So thoughts on the lines:

Hall- Nuge- Buff:
Hall and Nuge dominate the play lots of give and go's; Buff just needs to play big, helps on the boards, and has to be a continual pest and threat in front of the net. Hall and Nuge tend to play with Eberle or more recently Yak a lot which typically involves trying to get an ideal set-up for a good shot which is hard to do consistently any shot with a rebound and Big Buff infront of the net is a threat to go in.

Perron- Anisimov- Yak:
A country man for Yak to play with who has good skill and above average attention to detail on the defensive end, with Perron and Anisimov on the line it would be a bit more forgiving in terms of mistakes by Yak ending up in the back of our net, and while Anisimov isn't a bulldozer or really gritty he is a big guy who can't just be pushed around like a Gagner or Arcobello.

Eakins- Gordon - Moss:
Gordon + Moss is a solid foundation for a checking line and the tough kind of minutes and defensive zone starts that Gordon gets fed, while I like the chemistry Gordon and Hendricks have, Hendricks just isn't a scoring threat often enough to justify a spot on the 3rd line. Eakins adds more offense to the line, but is still a capable member to support the duo.

Pihlstrom -Arco/Lander- Hendricks:
The only way I see Arco and Lander re-signing here is if they are promised a spot on the 4th line, I think if we tell them we won't pick up a center for the 4th line and they just have to compete against each other for the job at training camp we could convince both to sign. Pihlstrom is a great energy line player, doesn't have world class hands but is really fast and quick on the forecheck and plays with a lot of tenacity, it's kind of funny that he would be the 4th Finn (Hartikainen, Joensuu, and Petrell) to play on our 4th line but I'm hoping the 4th time is the charm. The basic premise of the line is all 3 players are hard working players Pihlstrom has the speed to force the direction the play goes and then Hendricks is the 2nd man on the forecheck coming in hard to paste who ever is the recipient of the pass. I seen Washington utilize this with Chimera hard on the forecheck with Wilson 2nd man in, to devastating effect. The line could change the tempo of the game like our 4th line really hasn't been able to do for quite a while and putting fear into D and creating turnovers has a contagious effect and should benefit the other lines as well. Eakins doesn't like small 4th line, but if we had size on every other line like we have it should be less of an issue.

D should be pretty self explanatory Tyutin is a solid stable defenseman who can help both offensively and defensively and Matt Green is someone we are all familiar with who can mash and bang his health is a concern but D like him are always in demand we overpay cause it's the only way I think he would consider it especially if we are only offering a short team deal. None of our pairings are world class but if we have 3 pairings that are decent we should be able to hold our own.

I know, I know, TLDR, but I like to provide some justification for my thoughts.

Tyutin is a very good option and i believe local boy Johnny Boychuk can be had, thanks to a few rhds knocking on the door for more ice time.

I believe Johnny Boychuk can be available this draft... Price would be about equivalent vlue to a late first early second DP. No roster players on the oilers would be of interest to Boston but they might take a prospect and pick.

Vermette would be a good pickup. He can do pretty much anything

I wonder what it would take to get David Krejci.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
there are a couple of no brainer targets this summer

1) Moss - proven chemistry with gordon, size grit, affordable

2) Bolland - proven two way player who has 10 points in 17 games, had 37 points with the hawks. He is a 3rd line center who can provide defensive responsibility to a 2nd line. He is the kind of unsexy player we need 3 or 4 more of. Should be had for 3.5 mill

He is +3 despite playing with two slugs (Clarkson and Raymon). When he is not on the ice with Clarkson, the leafs score two goals for every goal against. when they are on the ice together, the other team score 4 goals for every goal the leafs score. The blame is on Clarkson as he has this effect on every linemate he plays with.

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
there are a couple of no brainer targets this summer

1) Moss - proven chemistry with gordon, size grit, affordable

2) Bolland - proven two way player who has 10 points in 17 games, had 37 points with the hawks. He is a 3rd line center who can provide defensive responsibility to a 2nd line. He is the kind of unsexy player we need 3 or 4 more of. Should be had for 3.5 mill

He is +3 despite playing with two slugs (Clarkson and Raymon). When he is not on the ice with Clarkson, the leafs score two goals for every goal against. when they are on the ice together, the other team score 4 goals for every goal the leafs score. The blame is on Clarkson as he has this effect on every linemate he plays with.

Haven't you heard about Bolland's contract demands?

"Bolland has six goals and four assists in 15 games and is eligible for unrestricted free agency after this season. Sportsnet reported Wednesday that he is seeking a seven- or eight-year deal worth $40 million to stay in Toronto."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...uffers_injury_setback_amid_contract_talk.html

Huge pass.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

"Bolland has six goals and four assists in 15 games and is eligible for unrestricted free agency after this season. Sportsnet reported Wednesday that he is seeking a seven- or eight-year deal worth $40 million to stay in Toronto."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...uffers_injury_setback_amid_contract_talk.html

Huge pass.

These poor players having to make due under this harsh new CBA, one in which a David Bolland can ask for $40 million with a straight face.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
I've wanted Jordan Staal on the Oilers for years. He brings the size we're sorely lacking in the top 6, he's a natural C, and has something to prove. Although he hasn't been there very long, it's looking like he's not working out in Carolina.

He's definitely got a bad contract and there's no way to argue otherwise. $6M a year till 2023 is pricey but Carolina has a lot of bad contracts right now and they likely need to get rid of someone. Does anyone else think that maybe a package of Gagner+ (combination of a prospect and a draft pick) along with Carolina eating a bit of the salary might do it. IMO It's worth considering as long as Carolina eats some of the salary otherwise it's a big no.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I've wanted Jordan Staal on the Oilers for years. He brings the size we're sorely lacking in the top 6, he's a natural C, and has something to prove. Although he hasn't been there very long, it's looking like he's not working out in Carolina.

He's definitely got a bad contract and there's no way to argue otherwise. $6M a year till 2023 is pricey but Carolina has a lot of bad contracts right now and they likely need to get rid of someone. Does anyone else think that maybe a package of Gagner+ (combination of a prospect and a draft pick) along with Carolina eating a bit of the salary might do it. IMO It's worth considering as long as Carolina eats some of the salary otherwise it's a big no.

I'd take Staal as well. I don't care about his cap hit. I just want to see actual hockey players on this team that don't get pushed out of the way with a wave of the hand.

That being said, I highly doubt Gagner and a prospect gets it done, unless Carolina is fed up with him.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
I'd take Staal as well. I don't care about his cap hit. I just want to see actual hockey players on this team that don't get pushed out of the way with a wave of the hand.

That being said, I highly doubt Gagner and a prospect gets it done, unless Carolina is fed up with him.

I'd be willing to add.....a draft pick, 2nd rounder or some other prospect. I'm sure you can work something out. Jordan Staal's production isn't exactly better than Gagner's so yeah we'd add but it shouldn't take a huge over payment to get him.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Tyutin is a very good option and i believe local boy Johnny Boychuk can be had, thanks to a few rhds knocking on the door for more ice time.

I believe Johnny Boychuk can be available this draft... Price would be about equivalent vlue to a late first early second DP. No roster players on the oilers would be of interest to Boston but they might take a prospect and pick.

Vermette would be a good pickup. He can do pretty much anything

I wonder what it would take to get David Krejci.

I'd Imagine Jordan or Yak ++

Also, agree on Vermette. He has had some very good low key years

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
My ideal offseason (continued this from another thread)

First priority:
Trade 4th overall (assuming its not Ekblad) for Bogosian
Trade Eberle + Gernat for B Schenn + B Coburn
Sign Kulemin

Hall-RNH-Yak
Perron-Schenn-Arcobello
Kulemin-Gordon-Lander
Hendricks-xxx-xxx

Coburn-Bogosian
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz

Notes:
-Arcobello would step into the 2RW role, and although hes a big step down from Eberle, he provides some grit and 2 way skill
-The entire second line provides grit and 2 way skill
-3rd line has good shutdown ability, and can provide offense
-Coburn and Bogosian provide size and shutdown ability, and allow the other D to play in their comfortable spots. Klefbom is in the AHL for a bit, and gets first call if any injuries occur

Sethis

May 9, 2004

Huge pass.

I wouldn't take him on that term, but if we could get him to a 3 or 4 year deal at 4 mil per, I'd be happy with it. Dude has a little bit of crazy to him, is excellent defensively, and has been central to two cups (scored the cup winning goal FFS). I look at him as the modern day Mike Peca. He just got overshadowed by all the talent in Chicago.

He's exactly what we need on this team as a bridge 2nd line C. His lack of offense would be mitigated in a large way by our wingers, and really isn't that far off of Gagner's production historically. Nuge-Bolland-Gordon-Lander would make us the most solid we've been at center ice since 2006. If our 1st this year is a C, he likely pushes Bolland one spot down the depth chart on an ELC contract before Gordon's contract is up.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Not true.

Skinner, Ward, and the Staals are on the market as reported by credible sources, which is why everyone is making proposals for them.

Barely.

Dreger is the only one I've heard say that, and he's BY FAR the worst of all of the so-called "insiders" employed by the major networks.

And when he starts putting in his own thoughts and opinions, he's not even worth listening to at all.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Staals have been massively underwhelming for me. They strike me as guys who have cashed in, and each have their Cup already, they always look so uninspired when they play. The most average star centre combo in the league. Amazing that a team with so many supposed quality, veteran NHL players can appear to be so mediocre if not downright disappointing. They seemed to be trapped in a vortex of irrelevance and indifference there in Carolina. And don't get me wrong I'd welcome one of them for sure (preferably Jordan), but at what price.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I wouldn't take him on that term, but if we could get him to a 3 or 4 year deal at 4 mil per, I'd be happy with it. Dude has a little bit of crazy to him, is excellent defensively, and has been central to two cups (scored the cup winning goal FFS). I look at him as the modern day Mike Peca. He just got overshadowed by all the talent in Chicago.

He's exactly what we need on this team as a bridge 2nd line C. His lack of offense would be mitigated in a large way by our wingers, and really isn't that far off of Gagner's production historically. Nuge-Bolland-Gordon-Lander would make us the most solid we've been at center ice since 2006. If our 1st this year is a C, he likely pushes Bolland one spot down the depth chart on an ELC contract before Gordon's contract is up.

He's a 3rd line center at best, but the biggest problem with shoehorning him into the #2 slot is that he's injured all the time, so he would leave a huge hole when he inevitably gets injured.

As for the Staals, not a fan of either of them. Both overrated and not worth the cost it would take to get them.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Staals have been massively underwhelming for me. They strike me as guys who have cashed in, and each have their Cup already, they always look so uninspired when they play. The most average star centre combo in the league. Amazing that a team with so many supposed quality, veteran NHL players can appear to be so mediocre if not downright disappointing. They seemed to be trapped in a vortex of irrelevance and indifference there in Carolina. And don't get me wrong I'd welcome one of them for sure (preferably Jordan), but at what price.

Jordan Staal has played fantastic this year. The points have never always been there for him, but he's an ideal No.2 or 3 C.

Eric Staal also has played well.

These two are not the problem in Carolina whatsoever. The reason why Carolina is missing the playoffs is 1) Cam Ward has been inconsistent, and save for a few select games, has looked awful, although injuries have played a role. There's no way in hell he's on that team come summertime. Calgary may take a shot on him.

The other problem is the D is always in a state of flux, so they need to build off of Sekera, and the bottom six needs fixing/depth. If they deal a Staal, Semin, or Skinner, wrong move. Khudobin in net as a starter could be a nice add, and they'll go from there.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hope those idiots use the Clarkson money on Bolland. $4.5 - $5.0 over 4 or 5 years term? The guy would be a welcomed addition to this team.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Hope those idiots use the Clarkson money on Bolland. $4.5 - $5.0 over 4 or 5 years term? The guy would be a welcomed addition to this team.

If a team like Toronto, who is arguably just as bad as us with elite goaltending, won't pay him 4.5......

and if a team like Chicago, a cup contender, can't afford him at 3.375 (meaning he's expendable)

and considering his injury issues

and considering he was far down the depth chart when he left Chicago

I think it would be a big mistake at anything over 3.375. He's the perfect No.3 C when healthy, I'd rather have him at 3.375 than Gordon at 3 by far, but at that price? No way.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Eberle, Yakupov, Petry, 2014 1st round pick for Weber, Del Zotto, Stalberg.

2015 1st round pick, Ference, Gagner for Eller, Moen, Emelin.

Sign Downie and Kulemin.

Hall-RNH-Downie
Kulemin-Eller-Perron
Stalberg-Gordon-Hendricks
Moen-Lander-Pitlick
Arcobello

Marincin-Weber
Nurse-Emelin
Del Zotto-J.Schultz
Klefbom

Scrivens
Fasth

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I want Drew Stafford ... not sure what the cost would be, but I think he would be a good addition. I think he would be good on RNH's wing.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I wonder is anyone could be poached out of Boston. During the game on TSN last night, the Bruins really want to re-sign Iggy, but can't offer him a contract right now because so much salary is on the table for next season. They also have a ton of NTC/NMC, 10 in total :amazed:

Dan Paille, Gregory Campbell, and defenceman Adam McQuaid are their best players currently not under any clauses and any 3 of them could be up for grabs as Boston needs to clear some salary.

Anyone of them would be good foot soldiers to have.

Paille-Gordon-Campbell would be a great 3rd line

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
I wonder is anyone could be poached out of Boston. During the game on TSN last night, the Bruins really want to re-sign Iggy, but can't offer him a contract right now because so much salary is on the table for next season. They also have a ton of NTC/NMC, 10 in total :amazed:

Dan Paille, Gregory Campbell, and defenceman Adam McQuaid are their best players currently not under any clauses and any 3 of them could be up for grabs as Boston needs to clear some salary.

Anyone of them would be good foot soldiers to have.

Paille-Gordon-Campbell would be a great 3rd line
Add Johnny Boychuk to that list. I'd love him on the Oilers maybe a 2nd and Musil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad