Proposal: Proposals Thread: Fix this broken club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Continue here.

From the last thread:

Yakupov reminds me nothing of Hull. Sometimes I wonder... how the hell opinions can be so drastically different when we all watch the games closely night after night, not just the Oilers but other teams around the league too. Yak is his own player, it's hard to compare him due to his size especially... he's got great hands, an elite shot, very good passing and is by no means whatsoever a weak skater. He's got to develop his sense for the pro game, I think that is due in large part to the non existent veteran leadership and poor coaching they have. The learning environment is piss poor, combine that with his personality and cultural background, I think it's been extra hard for him these past 5 months to adapt and get better. I think he'll be alright though, maybe not in Edmonton, but I think the potential is there for him to be a top 20 forward and an elite winger in the league.

Who cares how old he is, he's regressing people used the same damn argument for Gagner and look where that got us. Look RNH may be good one day but I don't see how this team can wait that long. Everyone wants the team to improve but no one wants to make a difficult move to get us a legit top pairing d man under 25.

He really, really doesn't IMO. I think his hands are his weakest part of his game. It's always off the end of his stick, which always lead me to believe that his stick is WAY too short for him.

He's also an average skater, he can't blow by guys like Ovi does.

From the sounds of things.. looks like the CAR fans have soured on the Staal bros..

We want size, grit and skill down the middle.. they provide just that..

Yak (to pair up with Semin) + Gagner + 2015 1st could work..

Gives them Gagner + Lindholm as 1/2 down the middle and plenty of cap space to fetch a good Dman..

it would tie up close to 50% of cap space into our top 6 though so might not be do-able.

I am sure you thought Duchene was regressing as well after his 3rd season right? Oh and btw Duchene after 3 seasons 219 GP 150 PTS .68ppg age21 RNH 162GP 119 PTS .73 PPG age 20. Nice to think you can summarize the rest of his career and determine his value as a number 3 dman :help: But Josi is sure fired to continue and improve and be even a better player without being behind Weber for easier minutes. Thank god you're not the GM.

Agreed, raab has never been a RNH fan and from day 1 wanted Couturier and his bias shows through quite heavily. RNH is clearly part of the solution, not part of the problem.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
With the CDN $ lagging slightly compared to years previous, the cap may not go up as much as previously predicted, which means the teams near the ceiling may not have as much breathing room in the offseason as anticipated.

Chicago and Boston both have a lot of money tied up next season so they could be good targets for poaching a couple defensemen.

Sheldon Brookbank and Andrej Meszaros would be 2 great guys to target to bring to help fill out our D.

Brookbank-Petry
Meszaros-Marincin
Ference-Shultz

Those 2 may be a bit pricey for us to sign, but with most of the forwards locked up, and our goaltending sorted for now (and cheap), they'd be worth it, especially Brookbank

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
With the CDN $ lagging slightly compared to years previous, the cap may not go up as much as previously predicted, which means the teams near the ceiling may not have as much breathing room in the offseason as anticipated.

Chicago and Boston both have a lot of money tied up next season so they could be good targets for poaching a couple defensemen.

Sheldon Brookbank and Andrej Meszaros would be 2 great guys to target to bring to help fill out our D.

Brookbank-Petry
Meszaros-Marincin
Ference-Shultz

Those 2 may be a bit pricey for us to sign, but with most of the forwards locked up, and our goaltending sorted for now (and cheap), they'd be worth it, especially Brookbank

Sheldon Brookbank is garbage, if you think he's good it's only cause they are able to hide his weaknesses in Chicago. He's a bottom pairing option at best, on a really solid defensive group he wouldn't play at all (barring injury).

Meszaros has been up and down and injury prone the argument can definetly be made that he would be a shrewd pick-up.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sheldon Brookbank is garbage, if you think he's good it's only cause they are able to hide his weaknesses in Chicago. He's a bottom pairing option at best, on a really solid defensive group he wouldn't play at all (barring injury).

Meszaros has been up and down and injury prone the argument can definetly be made that he would be a shrewd pick-up.

Brookbank is a third pairing D-man in Chicago and is sheltered in where and when he playes

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
What would guys think of picking up niskanen in the off season?

I actually wouldn't mind granted that a.) We get him a legit partner and b.) his play is what it is.

Regarding b.), it's clarifying that he's actually playing tough minutes and doing well. He's not getting soft minutes, relying on his partner and being average or subpar defensively.

Regarding a.), it's the hope we don't pair him with Nikita ******* Nikitin and hope that they can form a legit top-pairing. We trade or sign someone to handle tough minutes with him.

The Penguins dropped $10M on Paul Martin and Z to fix their D. You have to do what you have to do, and if we want to stop being the joke of the NHL, we'll need to spend money. If Niskanen can provide us with a D-man who can play tough minutes, then you pay for him.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I would actively shop Ebs, Yak, 2 prospect D, and 2014/15 first and second round picks to fill the holes we have. Obviously, I wouldn't move all 6 assets, but probably 3 or 4. If that still can't get a decent deal, then I don't know what I'd do. Probably build around the young D corp, and move Hall and Ebs when the time is right.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What would guys think of picking up niskanen in the off season?

He's one of the guys I'd pursue the hardest this coming FA. If we could put together a package for a #1 D man (or close to it) to pair Niskanen with that'd be great. That should be our top priority in the offseason. Throw money at guys like Niskanen/Fayne and put together a package for a #1 D. I think this team could really turn it around if we just had a legit top pairing to log big minutes. The less time we give the other scrubs the bigger our chance to win.

#1D-Niskanen
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz

What quality D-men could realistically be available and at what price?

Hall for OEL?
Hall+Petry+1st for Weber?
Eberle for Bieksa?
Perron and Klefbom for Hamhuis?

Just spitballing here.

Who would you target?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail
I am sure you thought Duchene was regressing as well after his 3rd season right? Oh and btw Duchene after 3 seasons 219 GP 150 PTS .68ppg age21 RNH 162GP 119 PTS .73 PPG age 20. Nice to think you can summarize the rest of his career and determine his value as a number 3 dman But Josi is sure fired to continue and improve and be even a better player without being behind Weber for easier minutes. Thank god you're not the GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil
Agreed, raab has never been a RNH fan and from day 1 wanted Couturier and his bias shows through quite heavily. RNH is clearly part of the solution, not part of the problem.

I'm not saying RNH is bad, I'm saying that he's our best trading chip. Would you guys not agree that RNH is comparable to Reinhart or Bennett? If we draft one it's arguable that RNH becomes movable because Reinhart or Bennett will be able to replace what he brings to the team. In saying that I'd prefer to move the 1st before moving RNH, but I'm trying to be realistic as no team is going to give up a top pairing d man under 25 for a pick.

Also on Josi, he's playing 26 minutes a night in Nashville, facing slightly tougher competition then Weber and has a better Corsi then Weber. He's 23 turning 24 and is signed until 2020 on a 4M deal. Basically he's extremely valuable and I think you'd find a lot of Nashville fans dissapointed with a RNH for Josi+ deal.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I'm not saying RNH is bad, I'm saying that he's our best trading chip. Would you guys not agree that RNH is comparable to Reinhart or Bennett? If we draft one it's arguable that RNH becomes movable because Reinhart or Bennett will be able to replace what he brings to the team. In saying that I'd prefer to move the 1st before moving RNH, but I'm trying to be realistic as no team is going to give up a top pairing d man under 25 for a pick.

Also on Josi, he's playing 26 minutes a night in Nashville, facing slightly tougher competition then Weber and has a better Corsi then Weber. He's 23 turning 24 and is signed until 2020 on a 4M deal. Basically he's extremely valuable and I think you'd find a lot of Nashville fans dissapointed with a RNH for Josi+ deal.

No RNH is not comparable to Bennett or Reinhart. You find tons of people saying Ekblad who is the clear #1 in this draft would go 5 or 6 in last years draft.

Reinhart is probably closer to Skinner than RNH, and Bennett closer to Kadri.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Keep and motivate your veteran players? But I guess we are too late for that. They've all been run out of town

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Sign a few UFA dmen like Nikitin or Niskanen (depending on who's available) and not dmen like Orpik or Fraser

Sign a 2C in the vein of Roy, Stastny, Brassard (depending on who's still available)

Jettison Ryan Jones. Try and get a few David Moss type bottom 6 wingers. Re-sign Ryan Smyth on the cheap to play 4LW. I'd like to see a 4th line next year of Smyth-Lander-Pitlick.

Do not rush Nurse, Klefbom, Gernat, Musil, or Davidson into the NHL. If Fedun is re-signed he should get a look.

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
I'd ship out Ference, revamp the defence, and name Hall captain.

Whether or not Ference is shipped out, one similarity in rebuilding along the Chicago, Pittsburg or most other models is that they name their young, up and coming leader (Hall) as captain early. This instills the fact that it is HIS team, and the young people HAVE to take the lead if it is going to work. At the very least we will know what we have.

I'm not saying we have a Crosby or Teows here, but the future leaders have to lead.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
No RNH is not comparable to Bennett or Reinhart. You find tons of people saying Ekblad who is the clear #1 in this draft would go 5 or 6 in last years draft.

this. i've heard some pundits, Guy Flaming, say that in most years, Bennet would be hard press to make the top 10. If they can't get Ekblad they should be doing everything the can to move the pick for a decent D or 2C. Actually taking the pick should be plan C.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I don't see why he needs a C sewn onto his shirt to be able to do that? Will that instantly make vet guys like Gordon and Hendricks who bust ass EVERY shift respect him?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Here's what I'd do this summer. I wouldn't be liked in Oil Country but I think fans would forget about it once the team started winning.

Trades:

To Win: Schultz, Klefbom, Condtional 2015 1st(Not top 10 or Edmonton can delay until 2016) for Bogosian
To Nashville: RNH for Josi+Wilson
To LA: Gagner for Clifford+Vey

Sign Statsny 8.5M for 5 years
Resign Petry 3 years 3.5M
Sign Greene 3 years 2.5M
Sign Kostka 1 year .75M

Hall(6)-Statsny(8.5)-Yakupov(3.75)
Wilson(2)-Reinhart/Bennett(3.75)-Eberle(6)
Clifford(1)-Gordon(3)-Perron(4)
Gazdic(.635)-Hendricks(1.8)-Pitlick(.9)
Smyth(1)

Forward Total: 42.335

Josi(4)-Bogosian(5.142)
Marincin(.73)-Petry(3.5M)
Ference(3.25)-Greene(2.5)
Kostka(.75)

Defence Total:19.872

Scrivens(2.3)
Fasth(2.9)

Goaltending: 5.2

Total: 67.407M

Last edited:

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Not a trade proposal, but I would start benching Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Schultz if they continually make stupid decisions on the ice.

These kids have been getting the "free pass" for too long. Consistently screw up? Sit up in the press box. I don't care if you're a first overall pick.

Oh, and I would hire an entire new strength and conditioning staff. They don't play, but I think you're fooling yourself if you think the Oilers strength and conditioning is anywhere near the level of the other 29 clubs in the NHL.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

I'm not sure if your actually being serious here. Reinhart is at 1.75 PPG in the Dub, while RNH had 1.5 PPG. Reinhart made Team Canada as a 17 year old and played important minutes, RNH didn't even make the team. Reinhart is already 6'1" 185 lbs and doesn't weight train, RNH is 6'1" and 185 lbs after trying to gain weight.

Bennett is closer but is bigger and more physical then RNH ever was in junior. Also Bennett has a better wrist shot then RNH which is saying something because his is good. And like RNH he was relatively unknown at the start of the year and has kept getting more attention as the year has gone on. Should be interesting to see what he does going forward.

And no Ekblad isn't the clear #1 in this draft, I think #1 is between Reinhart and Bennett, could easily see Ekblad sliding to 3rd depending on how the draft order ends up. And if Guy Flaming said Bennett wouldn't be a top 10 pick in next years draft he's never seen the kid play. He'd easily be in a discussion with the big 8 from next year most likely top 5 along with Reinhart, Ekblad going from 6-10 I'd agree with.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
2nd tier bandaids won't help this team, tambo tired it, mact has tried it. We have two choices, trade at least one or more of our top players to get some top players back in areas of need or sit on our ***** and get our heads beat in for another 4 years until we hope that some of our D prospects end up being really good.

All indications are its going to be the 2nd choice, oh the oilers will try and do the usual, fill holes with bargian players they have to over pay for but it will fail as usual.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
this. i've heard some pundits, Guy Flaming, say that in most years, Bennet would be hard press to make the top 10. If they can't get Ekblad they should be doing everything the can to move the pick for a decent D or 2C. Actually taking the pick should be plan C.

That's what I've been saying. Pretty straight forward really.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I'm not sure if your actually being serious here. Reinhart is at 1.75 PPG in the Dub, while RNH had 1.5 PPG. Reinhart made Team Canada as a 17 year old and played important minutes, RNH didn't even make the team. Reinhart is already 6'1" 185 lbs and doesn't weight train, RNH is 6'1" and 185 lbs after trying to gain weight.

Bennett is closer but is bigger and more physical then RNH ever was in junior. Also Bennett has a better wrist shot then RNH which is saying something because his is good. And like RNH he was relatively unknown at the start of the year and has kept getting more attention as the year has gone on. Should be interesting to see what he does going forward.

And no Ekblad isn't the clear #1 in this draft, I think #1 is between Reinhart and Bennett, could easily see Ekblad sliding to 3rd depending on how the draft order ends up. And if Guy Flaming said Bennett wouldn't be a top 10 pick in next years draft he's never seen the kid play. He'd easily be in a discussion with the big 8 from next year most likely top 5 along with Reinhart, Ekblad going from 6-10 I'd agree with.

Nothing I have ever read from you has given me any reason to consider your opinion to be in higher regard than Corey Pronman, Guy Flaming, or any of the multitude of scouts and pundits whose job is to succesfully scout and prognosticate junior hockey players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad