Proposal to "fix" penalties.

sigamy

Jun 27, 2016
I've been watching hockey since mid 1980s. I grew up in Pittsburgh and suffered through our terrible teams, the Lemieux era, second bankruptcy, and now Crosby era. So, as a Pens fan, I want speed and skill to rule the NHL. I always have.

I understand when folks say we are complainers, cry-babies, we employed Matt Cooke, etc. Trust me, I get it.

But...man, the NHL is a joke. I'm tired of the sliding scale of what is and is not a penalty based on the date on the calendar. Do other sports do this? Don't the NHL leaders understand how much this makes the league look like a joke?

We hear that the Refs don't want to "decide the game". What???!!!! What a lame excuse for not having to make any decisions. The Ref would be simply reporting on what the PLAYER did. the PLAYER would be deciding the game, not the ref.

So...my proposal. Now, this will never happen due to the dinos in charge but I'd like to hear opinions:

1. Change to 3 types of penalty groups: Interference, Roughing, and Major.
Interference Penalties include: trip, hook, interference. These are 1 minute.

Roughing: slash, cross-check, elbow, kneeing, high sticking. These are 2 minute.

Major: basically same as today. 5 minutes, multiple goals.

2. Call every penalty. Every day. Every minute of every game. Guess what? They did this after the lockout and players adjusted. The game got better. Clutch & grab was gone. Goons were gone.

3. Call more coincidental minors. Two guys going at it in front of the net? take them both off. 4v4 is good fun.

Move past this notion that by calling a legitimate penalty, that the Refs are "deciding the game". They are not. The player committing the infraction is to blame. Not to mention that only 11 teams have PP% over 20%.

We should be arguing over "bad" calls, like in baseball or football. We should not be stuck in 2017 trying to decide why a guy gets punched in the face after a scrum and nothing is called. #HockeyPlay

ToastedFlower*

Nov 15, 2014
Florida
I've been watching hockey since mid 1980s. I grew up in Pittsburgh and suffered through our terrible teams, the Lemieux era, second bankruptcy, and now Crosby era. So, as a Pens fan, I want speed and skill to rule the NHL. I always have.

I understand when folks say we are complainers, cry-babies, we employed Matt Cooke, etc. Trust me, I get it.

But...man, the NHL is a joke. I'm tired of the sliding scale of what is and is not a penalty based on the date on the calendar. Do other sports do this? Don't the NHL leaders understand how much this makes the league look like a joke?

We hear that the Refs don't want to "decide the game". What???!!!! What a lame excuse for not having to make any decisions. The Ref would be simply reporting on what the PLAYER did. the PLAYER would be deciding the game, not the ref.

So...my proposal. Now, this will never happen due to the dinos in charge but I'd like to hear opinions:

1. Change to 3 types of penalty groups: Interference, Roughing, and Major.
Interference Penalties include: trip, hook, interference. These are 1 minute.

Roughing: slash, cross-check, elbow, kneeing, high sticking. These are 2 minute.

Major: basically same as today. 5 minutes, multiple goals.

2. Call every penalty. Every day. Every minute of every game. Guess what? They did this after the lockout and players adjusted. The game got better. Clutch & grab was gone. Goons were gone.

3. Call more coincidental minors. Two guys going at it in front of the net? take them both off. 4v4 is good fun.

Move past this notion that by calling a legitimate penalty, that the Refs are "deciding the game". They are not. The player committing the infraction is to blame. Not to mention that only 11 teams have PP% over 20%.

We should be arguing over "bad" calls, like in baseball or football. We should not be stuck in 2017 trying to decide why a guy gets punched in the face after a scrum and nothing is called. #HockeyPlay

Easiest way to fix "scoring" and the safety of players, CALL ACTUAL PENALTIES, guess who's gonna change the players boneheaded and obstructing plays, the coach. Who wants to take 10 penalties a game, not a single team. So all the scum plays from ANY team would be rectified. We forget the likes of Torres and Burtuzzi ending careers.... If the DoPS doesn't step in this off season were looking at some nasty injuries in the near future. The face Ekblad has been head hunted just because it makes Florida a bubble team is atrocious. Will it take McDavid getting concussed due to targeting just as Crosby was Stekled?? Giving teams the ability to play WITHIN the rules, not clutch grab and interfere 200ft up and down the ice. The players who are not skilled to stay without these types of plays will flame out quickly as did the goons in the later 00's. Sadly some of these players took longer than other to leave the league and caused some pretty nasty injuries that were thankfully not career ending, such as the Cooke "hit" on Karlsson, i mean the attempted murder of his career. Just classless, disrespectful and reckless plays have got to leave the game or its going to be injury central.

As a fan of hockey, not just the Pens this cup final has been atrociously called, let alone the entirety of the last 4-5 years. This cup final has to be the last straw of non officiating refs, players shouldn't be head hunting (Subban) because he's frustrated. Is this the Pens vs Flyers series again? Players shouldn't be trying to sucker punch opponents, (Ekholm,Preds)(Malkin,Pens). What does this say for the kids playing in lower leagues coming up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad