Proposal: Proposal Pens move Guentzel with retention to Seattle for Tanev and Wright and pick.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Tanev has 2 years left and can be that 3rd line LW. Pens need a rebuild and getting a young center helps the cause. Seattle has the big time LW who Francis knows very well and moves the Kraken close to the real playoff team.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I understand why Seattle would say no and I'm not high enough on Wright to say yes so...no from both side.s

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This proposal is poorly thought out. Wright is a prospect at that stage where, as he is developing gradually, an acquiring team isn't going to just assume he has a career to match his draft pedigree, but the trading team needs to value him commensurate with his draft stock. So there's unlikely a fit with any prospective trade partners. This needs to play out a few more years so that everyone can see what Wright really is, I suspect.

None of that addresses the fact that while Guentzel is supremely talented, he is still a pending free agent. The Kraken are not going to be buying, period, and certainly won't be giving up premium futures to try and hit a home run. They presently sit outside the playoff picture. If anything, I think they might sell someone like Wennberg.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Don't think either team do this, Pens probably won't go for a non-roster player as the main piece in a return.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
This Oilers fan hope Seattle does this deal 😂.
While I believe Shane Wright is the Johnny Manziel of hockey; Tanev is a pain in the ass and Guentzel is not enough to get Seattle into the playoffs with their February schedule looking pretty tough

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Tanev has 2 years left and can be that 3rd line LW. Pens need a rebuild and getting a young center helps the cause. Seattle has the big time LW who Francis knows very well and moves the Kraken close to the real playoff team.
Wright getting moved for a rental? Keep dreaming.

Reactions: fr1to

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Pittsburgh has to be the ones adding if they think they're getting Wright, let alone Tanev and anything else.

Reactions: hn777

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He'd have to come signed for that type of compensation. As a rental... major overpay. So Pens would need to let Seattle fully negotiate his next deal prior to making that trade.

And even then... No pick. No way. Just Tanev + Wright would be full payment. Tanev is good. Wright may become good.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Shane wright alone is worth more than gunetzal. End of story

Lol no he's not.

This proposal is poorly thought out. Wright is a prospect at that stage where, as he is developing gradually, an acquiring team isn't going to just assume he has a career to match his draft pedigree, but the trading team needs to value him commensurate with his draft stock. So there's unlikely a fit with any prospective trade partners. This needs to play out a few more years so that everyone can see what Wright really is, I suspect.

None of that addresses the fact that while Guentzel is supremely talented, he is still a pending free agent. The Kraken are not going to be buying, period, and certainly won't be giving up premium futures to try and hit a home run. They presently sit outside the playoff picture. If anything, I think they might sell someone like Wennberg.

This is exactly what they should be doing. Sell off Wennberg to get some futures back for him and then promote Wright to take his spot. If they want Guentzel, go after him in UFA.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Lol no he's not.

This is exactly what they should be doing. Sell off Wennberg to get some futures back for him and then promote Wright to take his spot. If they want Guentzel, go after him in UFA.
Shane wright is 20 years old ppg center in ahl. Projected to be a #1c and is team controled. He was former 4th overall.

Guentzal is a tremendous player. Who is almost 30 years old and eho will cost 8+ million and is starting to get to end of his prime and move into decline.

You dont trade high end young cost controled players for high end old players. Money, control and players prime playing time all factor in

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Shane wright is 20 years old ppg center in ahl. Projected to be a #1c and is team controled. He was former 4th overall.

Guentzal is a tremendous player. Who is almost 30 years old and eho will cost 8+ million and is starting to get to end of his prime and move into decline.

You dont trade high end young cost controled players for high end old players. Money, control and players prime playing time all factor in

This is 100% correct. That doesn't mean he's more valuable than Guentzel. He's absolutely not.

I'm a fan of both teams. The Kraken wouldn't trade Wright for Guentzel because it's moronically stupid to trade a prospect like Wright for a rental in Guentzel, especially when they're not contending. That doesn't make Wright more valuable than Guentzel, it just means that Seattle would absolutely not trade Wright for Guentzel.

Purely in terms of value, I think a fair "Guentzel to Seattle" trade would be Tanev, Evans and their 2024 1st for Guentzel. They wouldn't do it because it doesn't make sense for them to be spending assets on rentals, but that's just what I'd call a "fair" value package. I'm skeptical Wright would pull off the equivalent of a Ryker caliber prospect and a mid 1st if the Kraken traded him.

Last edited:
Reactions: wej20

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
When was the last time a player with Wright's potential was moved for a rental? (Or at least - a player that highly drafted this soon after being drafted).

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think many see Guentzel as a rental. Seattle makes this move they sign him. Secondly, Seattle has a top 3 winger that they probably doesn't have a shot if he is a FA, Lastly Wright is a good prospect and that would be the cost to land a top 3 winger. Tanev makes the money work as Pens retain. But Guentzel is worth that package.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think many see Guentzel as a rental. Seattle makes this move they sign him. Secondly, Seattle has a top 3 winger that they probably doesn't have a shot if he is a FA, Lastly Wright is a good prospect and that would be the cost to land a top 3 winger. Tanev makes the money work as Pens retain. But Guentzel is worth that package.

Not for Seattle. It's just not where the team is at. They'll keep their top prospects and sign whoever they can in FA.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
This is 100% correct. That doesn't mean he's more valuable than Guentzel. He's absolutely not.

I'm a fan of both teams. The Kraken wouldn't trade Wright for Guentzel because it's moronically stupid to trade a prospect like Wright for a rental in Guentzel, especially when they're not contending. That doesn't make Wright more valuable than Guentzel, it just means that Seattle would absolutely not trade Wright for Guentzel.

Purely in terms of value, I think a fair "Guentzel to Seattle" trade would be Tanev, Evans and their 2024 1st for Guentzel. They wouldn't do it because it doesn't make sense for them to be spending assets on rentals, but that's just what I'd call a "fair" value package. I'm skeptical Wright would pull off the equivalent of a Ryker caliber prospect and a mid 1st if the Kraken traded him.
So basically Seattle is not a "Jake away" from making huge noise worth losing a top prospect like Wright. Makes sense.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Loved Turbo, hated his contract, would rather not continue to bury a guy like Sam Poulin in WBS who's close to ready- at the very least he's ready for a brief call up since he's scoring his way to getting a look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad