Proposal: PROPOSAL: Pavelski to Pens

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I was thinking something along the lines of Sutter+Spaling+a defender+maybe a little depending on the defender

(I put proposal again in the title because last time I made a thread I just titled it Spaling to SJS and a lot of people got angry.)

Anyway what would you add to that if anything?

Appreciate your input and thoughts. Don't let **** fans deter you from coming and sharing your thoughts and opinions. Some People take this too seriously like it's some sort of ultimate champion internet tough guy belt that's on the line.

Anyway, Welcome

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I checked their roster; I don't really see anyone that fits the bill. Brown maybe, but I haven't seen him in a while and it looks like he's hurt. He can't be worse than Adams, can he?

Last time I saw Brown, he was what Sill was supposed to be. I wouldn't be opposed to him, but I'd want to ditch Adams/Sill

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pavelski really isn't what we need at all.

Yeah, historically amazing playoff performers that are the heart and soul of their team and can play wing and center just as good with high talent players is exactly what this team has in abundance. Oh and he is signed to a cap friendly deal.

The real issue is the Sharks will probably trade every player in their line-up outside of Couture before trading Pavelski.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The Pens honestly won't trade Pouliot and if they did he'd be the centerpiece of the deal.

Pouliot + Spaling + 2016 3rd

That's not worth it for the Sharks then. Spaling is likely worth a 2nd or third himself so that is Pouliot+2nd/3rd+3rd for a 40 goal scorer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's not worth it for the Sharks then. Spaling is likely worth a 2nd or third himself so that is Pouliot+2nd/3rd+3rd for a 40 goal scorer.

I'm sure if Pavelski was going to be traded, it would be in the off season where we'd be more inclined to add a player like Sutter if we could replace him in UFA. Not to mention the fact we only have a second in this year draft.

Pouliot + Sutter + 2nd in 2016, I'd be cool with after the season.

We also realistically don't have the cap space to pick-up Joe unless we are moving other pieces out.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm sure if Pavelski was going to be traded, it would be in the off season where we'd be more inclined to add a player like Sutter if we could replace him in UFA. Not to mention the fact we only have a second in this year draft.

Pouliot + Sutter + 2nd in 2016, I'd be cool with after the season.

We also realistically don't have the cap space to pick-up Joe unless we are moving other pieces out.

I was thinking this would be in the offseason. Sorry for not pointing it out in the OP.

This is given Pavelski has a season where he scores 35/40 goals (what he is on pace to do.)

Figured it would give the Pens another scoring winger. Also what would it take to get your 1st in 16 also?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, historically amazing playoff performers that are the heart and soul of their team and can play wing and center just as good with high talent players is exactly what this team has in abundance. Oh and he is signed to a cap friendly deal.

The real issue is the Sharks will probably trade every player in their line-up outside of Couture before trading Pavelski.

I think he's best at center and playing with other talented players. He won't get that here.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think he's best at center and playing with other talented players. He won't get that here.

Pavelski is better defensively at center but is better offensively at wing. The reason all Sharks fans wanted him at center over wing was because our top 6 was great but our bottom six included Brown and Scott. Now Hertl has shifted to center and Pavelski will excel at wing.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
And it would still be worth it because he's a very good center. And that situation could be temporary only.

In other words, you take the deal and ask questions later.

I would do something like this, even though I highly doubt Pavelski is going ANYWHERE...

Sutter
Spaling
Martin

for

Pavelski
Scott

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz-Pavelski-Downie
Scott-Lapierre-Farnham

Harrington-Letang
Ehrhoff-Despres
Pouliot-Bortuzzo

That's a sexy lineup! :D

That defense is atrocious. Our PK would be garbage and our overall D would be bottom 10 in the league.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I was thinking something along the lines of Sutter+Spaling+a defender+maybe a little depending on the defender

I like the way you think but I don't think San Jose's management team would. :laugh:

But sure, send him on over! Those guys are all yours.

Pavelski really isn't what we need at all.

Have you seen the C depth Chicago and STL have? We need that. The problem is we'd need some wingers to go with it.

Kunitz - Sid - Perron
Beauner - Geno - Hornqvist
Scoring LW (Deadline) - Pavelski - Downie

would put us in the discussion of "teams deep enough to compete with Chicago, LA, STL, and to lesser degree Boston (meaning Boston isn't quite as deep but still has good C up and down their lineup)".

I don't know exactly how those lines would shake out, but that's three 1st line quality C, and yes, we do need that (if we can get it). Every team needs it. Because that third line scoring would be the difference between winning and losing if Fleury is even "not bad this series". That gives our opponents the "so... we actually don't have enough good D to match up with those three lines" problem. Better than we had with Staal by a wide margin. Staal can't carry Pavelski's jock.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I like the way you think but I don't think San Jose's management team would. :laugh:

But sure, send him on over! Those guys are all yours.

Have you seen the C depth Chicago and STL have? We need that. The problem is we'd need some wingers to go with it.

Kunitz - Sid - Perron
Beauner - Geno - Hornqvist
Scoring LW (Deadline) - Pavelski - Downie

would put us in the discussion of "teams deep enough to compete with Chicago, LA, STL, and to lesser degree Boston". I don't know exactly how those lines would shake out, but that's three 1st line quality C, and yes, we do need that (if we can get it). Every team needs it. Because that third line scoring would be the difference between winning and losing if Fleury is even "not bad this series".

Neutralizing Sid in the name of a third line seems counterintuitive to me, but perhaps my embracing the dark side of the force will allow me to embrace things that some people might call counterintuitive.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Neutralizing Sid in the name of a third line seems counterintuitive to me, but perhaps my embracing the dark side of the force will allow me to embrace things that some people might call counterintuitive.

I don't see how it netrealizes him -- I think if Kunitz can muster enough energy in the playoffs to just be a good puck hound and forget everything else, Sid and Perron could be effective. They may get shut down some games but that's the point. Then who do you have to shut down Geno and Horny? Oh, you have another good pairing? How about 25G LW - Pavelski - Downie? Yah, you're out of D aren't you... Pens score (the goals we don't usually score in teh playoffs). That's how the Hawks and other good teams out west do it. They Depth you into oblivion.

It's like the Hawks... it's ridiculous. When they're healthy they can have guys like Patrick Sharp playing 3C. STL... they could have a guy like Oshie or Stastny playing 3C or even Lehtera is better than the likes of Sutter / Goc / Max L. So long as you have at least one winger on each line who can hit twine and some toughness and/or net-front on each line... you can go far. Our problem with getting a Pavelski is, you have to give up some D to get his scoring winger, in all probability. So, pipe-dream. We'd have to Goligoski the Sharks in order to have a good shot at building the winger depth we'd need for a true 3C playoff run. By that I don't mean a D necessarily but underpay so there's a nice asset left over to get the other guy.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see how it netrealizes him -- I think if Kunitz can muster enough energy in the playoffs to just be a good puck hound and forget everything else, Sid and Perron could be effective. They may get shut down some games but that's the point. Then who do you have to shut down Geno and Horny? Oh, you have another good pairing? How about 25G LW - Pavelski - Downie? Yah, you're out of D aren't you... Pens score (the goals we don't usually score in teh playoffs). That's how the Hawks and other good teams out west do it. They Depth you into oblivion.

It's like the Hawks... it's ridiculous. When they're healthy they can have guys like Patrick Sharp playing 3C. STL... they could have a guy like Oshie or Stastny playing 3C or even Lehtera. So long as you have at least one winger on each line who can hit twine and some toughness / net-front on each line... you can go far. Our problem with getting a Pavelski is, you have to give up some D to get his scoring winger, in all probability. So, pipe-dream. We'd have to Goligoski the Sharks in order to have a good hot at building the winger depth we'd need for a true 3C playoff run.

The Hawks or Blues would never move a Sharp or Oshie to 3C to have a Kunitz and a Bennett in the top six.

The point to having Sid and Geno is to exploit the fact that they're better than their peers, not use their respective linemates to neutralize the difference in the name of balance.

Build the team around Sid and Geno and then from there. If you don't get that right and instead go for some 3C model with heavy money allocated to defense, then you're better off trading Malkin, because there's really no point to having him AND Sid.

It's always amazed me. We've never actually TRIED to employ a 2 superstar C model properly, and it's already been declared dead.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The Hawks or Blues would never move a Sharp or Oshie to 3C to have a Kunitz and a Bennett in the top six. .

THey wouldn't have to because they're loaded at those positions too (which is another thread called "building through the draft"). But I understand where you're coming from. But Pavelski is a whole other breed from the type of 3C we usually talked about, including Staal. He's a game breaking type asset.

If you had the cap room to add another solid winger, you could make do and this team would be much better offensively than it ever was with Staal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
THey wouldn't have to because they're loaded at those positions too (which is another thread called "building through the draft"). But I understand where you're coming from. But Pavelski is a whole other breed from the type of 3C we usually talked about, including Staal. He's a game breaking type asset.

If you had the cap room to add another solid winger, you could make do and this team would be much better offensively than it ever was with Staal.

Two years ago, when the other pieces were there, I could've gotten behind that.

Now, an asset like Sutter and 6M in cap space . . . I think there are better investments than Pavelski UNLESS the plan is to use him at W in the top six.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

(I put proposal again in the title because last time I made a thread I just titled it Spaling to SJS and a lot of people got angry.)

Anyway what would you add to that if anything?
Not including Pouliot here, but other than that we needed a hug like this now. Thank you.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
And it would still be worth it because he's a very good center. And that situation could be temporary only.

In other words, you take the deal and ask questions later.

I would do something like this, even though I highly doubt Pavelski is going ANYWHERE...

Sutter
Spaling
Martin

for

Pavelski
Scott

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz-Pavelski-Downie
Scott-Lapierre-Farnham

Harrington-Letang
Ehrhoff-Despres
Pouliot-Bortuzzo

That's a sexy lineup! :D

Except for the fact that that defense is going to suck it up.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I was thinking of the defender to be Pouliot. Or Harrington+2nd/3rd.

I can't see this coach/management moving Pouliot. Shero wouldn't for Kesler. And while I'd love to get Pavelski to Pittsburgh, I wouldn't move Pouliot as part of a package to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad