Proposal for Sabres trade with Dallas Stars

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Core pieces to this trade:

BUF: Evander Kane (if he says he'll sign an extension), 8OA
DAL: 3OA pick 2017

Dallas needs immediate scoring help, especially with Sharp, Hemsky, and Hudler all needing new contracts before next season. Next year they will have ~$20 mil in cap space, and Kane would look great on a Spezza/Seguin centered line.

Obviously Kane isn't worth 3OA straight up, so picks or even a D in Bogosian/Kulikov/Franson can be thrown in to sweeten the deal.

Purely speculation by me, and that's why I am gonna ask, is Kane+ worth anything close to 3OA?

Maybe throw in Ullmark and Niemi/Lehtonen to make the deal look even better for the Stars

Final Trade:
BUF: Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, Linus Ullmark, 8OA
DAL: 3OA, Kari Lehtonen/Annti Niemi

Then Sabres take Heskainen 3OA, Dallas takes Glass/Middlestadt/Makar/Vesalainen 8OA.

Last edited:

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Core pieces to this trade:

Obviously Kane isn't worth 3OA straight up, so picks or even a D in Bogosian/Kulikov/Franson can be thrown in to sweeten the deal.

Kulikov and Franson are UFA and Bogosian's contract sours a deal to whoever is taking him.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Bogosian does indeed have positive trade value, as little as it may be. A 26 year old RHD with 534 games of experience who has been a top 4 D throughout virtually all of his career has value. His contract is both a hinderance and a positive depending on which team it is. For a team with no RHD acquiring Bogo valuing him as a top 4 RHD, his three years left would be looked at as a positive. For the Sabres who have soured on him his contract is looked at as an albatross. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As for the proposal, a re-signed Kane + 8 OA is definitely good value to move up 5 spots. It's the whole re-signing part which makes it unrealistic, if anything Kane would want to test the open market. But if he said yes I will extend long term in Dallas then 8 OA and Kane is easily worth #3. Kanes a 25+ goal 25 year old LW1. He's worth far more then a 5 spot jump in a weak draft.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Hmmm - I think Kane if he has the year next year he had this year may have more value at next year's TDL - a 1st round pick in the 20-30 range. He may have that value now, not sure. To a team that thinks they can re-sign him - Vegas, LA, Anaheim - maybe he has a bit more value.

I want Makar so I'm all for trading up - but if it's all the way up to #3 then my choice becomes harder, Hischier or Patrick could fall to 3, and Heiskanen would be there for us and I really don't know who I'd decide on between Heiskanen and Makar. I think Makar is going to be a star but there's some risk to him seeing as he's played at a much lower level than others.

I'd do 8OA and Kane for 3rd in a heartbeat.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
There doesn't seem to be a huge gap between 8OA and 3OA this year. I think Kane is overpayment to move up 5 spots.

If the Sabres feel Makar or Heiskanen is the second coming, they might disagree. But I don't assume either of them plays in the NHL next year, and the Sabres are in a position where they have to start winning now. I'd rather use one or both of those chips to acquire current NHL defensemen.

As for the goalies and Bogo, seems cluttered and I'm not sure why Dallas is interested in expanding the deal.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
So Kane to move up five spots and have first dibs at the defenseman of our choice? Yeah, I do it because I don't see Evander Kane extended long term anyway.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
If i were Dallas i would rather pick 3OA and add Kane via free-agency (or some other better scorer).

I don't think Dallas minds losing Sharp, Hudler and Hemsky, they were all part of the team that failed this season.

Unless Lindy Ruff as some last favour for Buffalo signed this deal months ago without anyone noticing, it wouldn't go down. Why in the hell would Dallas want to do this?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Sabres need to deal with Kane this off-season, sign him which i don't even think is possible or advisable, or trade him. If we keep him, we have a good season, we're in a playoff spot in March or very close to it, we aren't trading Kane and hurting our chances of making the playoffs. So we lose him as a UFA, nothing in return. Bad asset management. He's coming off a good season, trade him for what you can or sign him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
So...one of the top even strength scorers in the league last year, the best goalie prospect we have who will actually sign with the organization and an overpriced bad dman for an overpriced terrible goalie and moving up 5 spots in a draft where there isn't even a HOLY CRAP THIS TOP THREE!! Situation.

It has everything.

Getting worse at even strength, getting worse in goal, adding terrible salary in a place where you don't want any (backup goalie!) and the only thing coming back of value is a total unknown whose value may or not be any more than the pick I'm moving anyway.

HOW MANY TIMES CAN I SIGN

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
And the Stars do it why?

Adding a 26 year old middle pairing dman who if he rediscovers his game can be a solid #3 dman with snarl, a cheap solid NHL backup goalie and one of the best ES goal scorers in the entire league along with being a LW1 who has averaged 30 goals per 82 games since being a Sabre, and they not only just drop 5 spots but also lose Lehtonen who has absolute negative value. At least Bogo has a chance to recover, Lehtonen is done and is complete trash.

Remember part of this proposal is contingent on Kane extending. It can't be official at the time of the draft but I'm sure they can get a solid verbal. If Kane is giving an iron clad verbal agreement that he will extend his deal with Dallas in this scenario (or if he would extend if Buffalo wants to keep him) then this trade is absolutely horrid for Buffalo. A solid much as some contingent of Sabre fans hate Kane, he is a legitimate LW1 and a 25-30 goal scorer. He has been nothing but solid as a Sabre. Like I said since he put on our sweater he has averaged 30 goals per 82 games. That's extremely valuable.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Giving up Kane to jump 5 spots in a mediocre draft?

I'd much rather move him for a late 1st+ tweener defensive prospect.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Kane traded to Vegas for a 3/4 defenseman makes too much sense. Star power for Vegas, and they have the money and glitter for Kane.

We'll still get the 2nd best D prospect in the draft, probably

Proposal sucks.

Wait for expansion draft and see how things play out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad