Proper size stick for your height?

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
your going to get a lot of different responses on this....im 5'11'' and play forward and why stick is about a inch under my chin on skates...have tried even a inch longer and it feels weird to me.

i have gathered that its a comfort thing more than anything but i would say the "proper" length would depend on the lie of the stick and the players heigth

BadHammy*

While you're on skates, from the neck to your mouth is generally an acceptable range. However, what's most important is your preference, ya know, what works for you. I prefer a longer stick, about up to my mouth on skates. The drawback of that length is that it's harder to do pull in moves and slap shots in motion can be tricky.

Basically, use what feels right.

Rush22*

I think most players these days are using sticks that are far too long. There are many factors that going into stick height other than you own height. The lie of your stick is huge, if you have an improper lie you may be forced to use a stick that is either too long or too short for you. You position also matters, defensemen can get away with using a longer stick because it helps for poke checks and defensemen usually are not handling the puck in tight areas. I have always been taught that the stick should come up to your chin when standing in skates, I go with that rule and it works for me.

HowToHockey

This length guide might help. here is a picture as well

hockeyStickLength.jpg

This is how the stick would look on skates and from my experience this is what would be referred to as long, short and normal in length

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
This length guide might help. here is a picture as well

hockeyStickLength.jpg

This is how the stick would look on skates and from my experience this is what would be referred to as long, short and normal in length

I use something just under the average and, in my experience, most people refer to my stick as quite long. People tend to tell me that within an inch or so of the chin, in either direction, is normal.

Briere Up There*

I use a stick that's 2 inches under my chin in skates.

I'm going back to a longer stick though, it's not like I'm Johnny Dangles. I'd rather have more flex. Something at my chin probably.

HowToHockey

I use something just under the average and, in my experience, most people refer to my stick as quite long. People tend to tell me that within an inch or so of the chin, in either direction, is normal.

Yeah, I guess I could have done the picture a bit better, anything from the chin to nose I think is an average length, it's the in-between zone.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I'm 6'0 I use a 55 - 56" stick...

I play with a guy who is 6'4 and he is an ex-ECHLer and he uses a a 52" stick...
When he stick handles, its like textbook all the time...
When he backchecks, he has no problems as his arms are more than long enough already...

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
I know it's personal preference but I still think a ton of people who use longer sticks would GREATLY benefit from a shorter stick, but most will never try it. They're in their comfort zone and that's their preference but it pains me to see guys during games/pickups who are using a stick that's probably 6 inches, or more, too long for them.

I use a stick that's an inch or so below my chin on skates and it's still probably and inch or two too long. My stickhandling improved immensely after cutting just 2" off my stick. I'm 5' 10" and my stick is 56".

My opinion: Start at the chin in skates and try lengths from there to find what you like. If you're using wood sticks you'll obviously have to start long and go to short, but that's a fairly inexpensive experiment to sacrifice a cheap woody. You can always add butt end extensions to composites if you cut it down too far.

Just a personal note: If I made that long/avg/short chart I'd go with Long at the nose, Average at the Chin and short maybe at the collarbone. Forehead would be Insanely Long.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
I know it's personal preference but I still think a ton of people who use longer sticks would GREATLY benefit from a shorter stick, but most will never try it. They're in their comfort zone and that's their preference but it pains me to see guys during games/pickups who are using a stick that's probably 6 inches, or more, too long for them.

I use a stick that's an inch or so below my chin on skates and it's still probably and inch or two too long. My stickhandling improved immensely after cutting just 2" off my stick. I'm 5' 10" and my stick is 56".

My opinion: Start at the chin in skates and try lengths from there to find what you like. If you're using wood sticks you'll obviously have to start long and go to short, but that's a fairly inexpensive experiment to sacrifice a cheap woody. You can always add butt end extensions to composites if you cut it down too far.

Just a personal note: If I made that long/avg/short chart I'd go with Long at the nose, Average at the Chin and short maybe at the collarbone. Forehead would be Insanely Long.

I've experimented with all sorts of stick lengths, believe me. I've used ones anywhere from my neck to my nose and everywhere inbetween. I think some quick stickhandling improved with a stick around the chin but I was also less productive with it. I felt I had the puck less and was often waiting for it to come to me. With a stick around me lower lip I feel I steal a lot more pucks and even skate a bit faster while keeping my head up as I can always see the puck in my peripheral. Well, not always, but its easier than with a short stick where the puck is in my feet.

However, I don't necessarily think that stickhandling is easier with a shorter stick but it is definitely conducive to different sorts of stickhandling moves. With a longer stick I find it's easier to put the puck into deadzones between bodies and keep it. I find I don't have to make as many moves because it's easier to find that dead space and just make an easy tap and then catch up to the puck. I also find it's easier to bait people into trying for the poke check which opens up more space for yourself.

I find a short stick gives me slicker and quicker hands but makes me a less productive player. I also find it easier to shoot with a stick thats at my lower lip.

kingscourt26

Jul 19, 2010
your going to get a lot of different responses on this....im 5'11'' and play forward and why stick is about a inch under my chin on skates...have tried even a inch longer and it feels weird to me.

i have gathered that its a comfort thing more than anything but i would say the "proper" length would depend on the lie of the stick and the players heigth

I get back pains if it's anywhere lower than my chin. When I buy a stick I generally stand on my tip toes and buy one that reaches my chin.

To the OP, it varies depending on position. For D, you typically want a longer stick since you'll be doing less maneuvering and more reaching to defend and swipe at pucks. Forwards tend to use shorter sticks to maneuver around D and pull the puck in close to prevent getting it taken away.

Rush22*

I know it's personal preference but I still think a ton of people who use longer sticks would GREATLY benefit from a shorter stick, but most will never try it.

I see this a ton too. Most of them use a longer stick to increase shot velocity (having more flex) and to increase reach in the defensive and neutral zone. The thing is most of them have poor form when shooting and could shoot much harder with a short shaft if they learned to get low and use more weight transfer when shooting. Good visions and anticipation can close the gap between you and the puck when you are defending as well.

Just as a reference Sidney Crosby, the best player in the world, uses a stick that comes up just above his chest in skates.

Chances are if you feel you need a longer stick is that you are not skating low enough and play too upright in your stride. Get that deep knee bend going, skate low and keep your center of gravity low and you will find vast improvements in your game.

Rush22*

I get back pains if it's anywhere lower than my chin. When I buy a stick I generally stand on my tip toes and buy one that reaches my chin.

To the OP, it varies depending on position. For D, you typically want a longer stick since you'll be doing less maneuvering and more reaching to defend and swipe at pucks. Forwards tend to use shorter sticks to maneuver around D and pull the puck in close to prevent getting it taken away.

That is an issue with your skating. You should be bending your knee and not your back to get lower to the ice.

Watch Alex Ovechkin skate, he almost looks like he is sitting in a chair mid-stride. He keeps his weight under his legs and keeps his center of gravity low.

This will help you change directions quicker, it will allow you to skate faster, it will allow you to play the puck easier.

Dinoz

Jan 31, 2011
Batcave
Alot of the NHLers have their stick to the collarbone.
But its just personal.

Others like it longer others shorter.

I have it to the chin with the skates on.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008

Datsyuk uses a long stick at times. Around his nose, and he has some of the best hands in the NHL. Shorter stick does not automatically equal better stickhandling. It's personal preference and people can play well with all lengths. I believe Datsyuk's prostock is about a lie 5 to 5.5 as well. So it's not like its long because it's a super low lie.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'm semi-rehashing what some others have already said, but . . .

Most NHL forwards use a stick cut to roughly their collar bone on skates, pay close attention to the players when they're standing at the bench and you'll often be able to get a good idea of how long their sticks are. For whatever reason most lower level players seem to use sticks a few inches longer than this, more in the chin to nose range on skates. There are some NHL forwards who use longer sticks (chin to nose) as well, such as Datsyuk, Stamkos and Semin, so it's really just personal preference. Some people just do not like shorter sticks, but I think a lot of people never even try a stick cut to below their chin on skates, IMO if you've never tried a short stick you really should cut an old wood stick down to adam's apple or so height and give it a go a couple times at stick and puck to see if you like it.

Personally I like my stick cut to just slightly above my collar bone on skates (like 1/2" above, still below my adam's apple), I shoot and stickhandle the best with a stick at this length, it just feels natural. If you like a cut down stick but feel like you don't get enough flex, just use a lower flex stick.

IMO, for rec league forwards:
- To the nose on skates = on the long side
- To the chin on skates = average
- To the collar bone on skates = on the short side

But if you look at NHL forwards:
- To the chin/lips on skates = on the long side
- To the collar bone/adam's apple on skates = average
- Below the collar bone on skates = on the short side

As for dmen, those that play a more offensive game will tend to use forward length sticks, those that are most concerned with their defensive game will sometimes use a longer stick to give them more reach, but it does IMO come at the cost of stickhandling and to a certain extent shooting (think Willie Mitchell).

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
NJ
Its all about personal preference, if you are a forward that controls the puck a lot, you should have a shorter stick, but a dman may want a taller one for extra length on poke checks and breaking up plays.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Datsyuk uses a long stick at times.

He's also a freak of nature at times. I should say my opinions on length are in relation to beer leagues I see. NHL'ers get to use whatever the hell they want because they have the skill. Nobody's ever said Datsyuk or Hossa are horrible players. :P

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga

Datsyuk uses a long stick at times. Around his nose, and he has some of the best hands in the NHL. Shorter stick does not automatically equal better stickhandling. It's personal preference and people can play well with all lengths. I believe Datsyuk's prostock is about a lie 5 to 5.5 as well. So it's not like its long because it's a super low lie.

Toby Enstrom uses a stick that is almost taller than he is at 5'10 it is right around his eyes but he uses it well

kingscourt26

Jul 19, 2010
That is an issue with your skating. You should be bending your knee and not your back to get lower to the ice.

Watch Alex Ovechkin skate, he almost looks like he is sitting in a chair mid-stride. He keeps his weight under his legs and keeps his center of gravity low.

This will help you change directions quicker, it will allow you to skate faster, it will allow you to play the puck easier.

I do bend my knees. I've been playing for a while and have always used a stick at my chin in skates. Anything shorter, my body isn't used to it. It's probably that I've developed my game around my stick length so any changes cause discomfort.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
It's definitely personal preference and I use one of the shorter sticks you'll see. I'm 5'8" and on skates, it comes well under my chin, somewhere up around my chest. I surely can't dangle with the puck away from me, but I skate very low and with the puck close to my body so no one can take it from me. I just got used to how well I could stick handle with a short stick years ago and have never been able to go back. It definitely hurts my slapper, but I rarely wind up anyway. Much better for shooting in tight ranges and passing... :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad