Pronman Grades the 2014 Draft - Gives the Wings a B+

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Pronman's final grades: Auditing the 2014 NHL Draft
"One of the most common criticisms of draft prospect analysis is “You need to wait five years.” I don’t agree with that, but it’s been five years since the 2014 NHL Draft, thus it is as good a time as ever to discuss how good respective clubs did in that draft. Grades are not based on how good a team did relative to draft slot. It’s purely based on how much talent a team drafted."

Credits the Wings for Larkin and a bit for Ehn.
Going by Holland's old standard (you want 2 NHLers from a draft), I suppose Pronman's grade is fair.

Wings drafted:
15-Larkin
63-Turgeon
106-Ehn
136-Perry
166-Vahatalo
196-Holmstrom
201-Kadeykin

15th overall - Larkin was a steal at 15. Probably the best non-top 5 pick of the draft other than Pastrnak and Pointe
63rd overall - Wings didn't have a 2nd round pick. Turgeon was taken 63rd. Sure, Pointe or Foegele look better. Or Mike Amado. But really, the third round is filled with flops. I think Turgeon might still have a shot at some kind of NHL career, by the way.
106th - If your 4th rounder plays in the NHL it's a win.

The Wings got nothing after that. Holmstrom might have had a shot were it not for injuries.
Kadeykin, a kid I liked, seems to have emerged in Russia at long last.

Considering position and who was available, I think Detroit deserves no less than a B.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think it's worth noting that the missing second round also cost us Jarnkrok who is better than half our current team. I would rate the draft a C+ just by association with that trade and another year stop gapping the pending rebuild.

However, I think pulling Larken at 15 brings up the grade. Grabbed a huge piece of the core with only 7 picks. Not terrible considering the next highest pick was 63.

Reactions: 2xJack

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think it's worth noting that the missing second round also cost us Jarnkrok who is better than half our current team. I would rate the draft a C+ just by association with that trade and another year stop gapping the pending rebuild.

However, I think pulling Larken at 15 brings up the grade. Grabbed a huge piece of the core with only 7 picks. Not terrible considering the next highest pick was 63.

Are people ever going to stop with Jarnkrok? Hes a bottom 6 player, hes not better than half the team either.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Jarnkrok would be tied for 3rd in scoring on our roster. Take away half his points and he is still outscoring Darren Helm
You aren't factoring in linemates, or the team overall. There's a lot more talent in Nashville, he isn't putting up the same points here as he is in Nashville just because that's how many points he has. On this team the entire season, I guarantee he isn't sitting at 3rd on the team in scoring.

Reactions: newfy

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
He is still outscoring over half our team if you take away half his points. Linemates factored.

Reactions: Lil Bert

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Are people ever going to stop with Jarnkrok? Hes a bottom 6 player, hes not better than half the team either.

Stop being offended by fans who called it right.

The Legwand trade was a stupid trade for a team in the Wings position.
Jarnkrok has been a solid player for a good team for how many years? And gave away a pick too.
We got 20 games or something out of Legwand.

Jarnkrok is at 12-15-27 this year in 800 minutes.
That would be tied for third on Detroit.

Reactions: 2xJack and Flowah

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You aren't factoring in linemates, or the team overall. There's a lot more talent in Nashville, he isn't putting up the same points here as he is in Nashville just because that's how many points he has. On this team the entire season, I guarantee he isn't sitting at 3rd on the team in scoring.

He probably has more points in Detroit because he'd probably play more than 800 minutes.
Larkin and Bertuzzi have about 1200 and 1100 minutes, respectively.
I bet Jarnkrok would be around 1000 on the Wings.

Jarnkrok's usage in Nashville
81 minutes PK
87 minutes PP
630 minutes at ES

Bertuzzi in Detroit
896 at ES
181 at PP
10 at PK.

Where Jarnkrok's production falls on Detroit.
Powerplay: 4.12/60 (3rd, behind Zadina, Fabbri and Hirose)
Even Strength: 1.81/60 (4th behind Larkin at 1.87)

On a team where Hirose and Glendening have had significant minutes in the top 6, not sure how anyone could assert Jarnkrok wouldn't be a major improvement.

Reactions: Mlotek

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

Jarnkrok has been a solid player for a good team for how many years? And gave away a pick too.

The Legwand trade was always stupid. But I can't believe people are still really pining over the loss of a bottom 6 forward. As if Detroit doesn't have enough as it is. Despite the hope that Jarnkrok would significantly become better than that never established.

Compare all the statistics you want. This team sucks without him and would suck with him.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The Legwand trade was always stupid. But I can't believe people are still really pining over the loss of a bottom 6 forward. As if Detroit doesn't have enough as it is. Despite the hope that Jarnkrok would significantly become better than that never established.

Compare all the statistics you want. This team sucks without him and would suck with him.

Wouldn't be bottom 6 on this team.
That's kind of the point.
Jarnkrok is a good NHL forward who can play any role. PK. Top 6. PP. Bottom 6.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I dont care what people think of the Legwand trade, it was bad. I'm not offended if you were such a smart fan that you called it right.

Saying that not having Jarnkrok is hurting the team or not having that second rounder is stop gapping the rebuild or that it somehow actually held the rebuild back is just fans being whiny. In reality, no one drafted near that second rounder has turned into anything and Jarnkrok doesnt move the needle on this team at all. Using that trade to grade a draft is ridiculous too.

Jarnkrok is having a career year right now and hes also not playing on the worst team of the last 20 years. Hes playing as the third wheel on the first/second line of a good team. He has one of the best defenses in the league getting the puck to him. Play him with Filppula and Hirose/Athanasiou with Nemeth and Biega getting him the puck and lets see how many points he has.

Its like people bury their heads in the sand and just say shit on here without thinking. Yes, obviously everyone can count and knows he has more points than a lot of the team. But its like they just choose to ignore hes playing with Forsberg, Johansen and Arvidsson types on a team that has 60 more goals than the wings. That offense wouldnt just magically translate if he were on the wings roster right now.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
"One of the most common criticisms of draft prospect analysis is “You need to wait five years.” I don’t agree with that, but it’s been five years since the 2014 NHL Draft, thus it is as good a time as ever to discuss how good respective clubs did in that draft. Grades are not based on how good a team did relative to draft slot. It’s purely based on how much talent a team drafted."

Going by Holland's old standard (you want 2 NHLers from a draft), I suppose Pronman's grade is fair.

Wings drafted:
15-Larkin
63-Turgeon
106-Ehn
136-Perry
166-Vahatalo
196-Holmstrom
201-Kadeykin

I think the Wings actually deserve a bit better than a C+ IF you account for draft position.

15th overall - Larkin was a steal at 15. Probably the best non-top 5 pick of the draft other than Pastrnak and Pointe
63rd overall - Wings didn't have a 2nd round pick. Turgeon was taken 63rd. Sure, Pointe or Foegele look better. Or Mike Amado. But really, the third round is filled with flops. I think Turgeon might still have a shot at some kind of NHL career, by the way.

The Wings got nothing after that. Holmstrom might have had a shot were it not for injuries.

Considering position and who was available, I think Detroit deserves no less than a B.

Actually he gave us a b+. In 2014 he gave us a c+. Might want to change the title if you can.

Reactions: MBH

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
It's funny how a decent bottom 6 player like Jarnkrok still gets pumped up and raved about how he would do so much better than our bottom 6 guys, all the while forgetting that literally no one does good when the team is inherently broken. Our forward core is for the most part just fine, and at the very least we have a decent bottom 6. The real problem is that we don't have a working second line, and 5 of our top 6 defensemen are playing over their heads, one pairing too high. Fix that and all of a sudden the "useless plugs" will appear decent again, when they don't have to cover up for each others non stop.

They don't need to be world beaters, just decent in the slot they're pinned on.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Jarnkrok is only having his 2nd real quality season at this point. He has been an average bottom sixer considering his relatively high time on ice. Sure he’s better than anyone on our bottom 6 now but we’re also the worst performing NHL roster in 20+ years.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

But do we get Larkin without the Jarnkrok trade? Does Jarnkrok stay in the AHL or go back to sweden? Is he a 40 point player or 20 point player on this edition of the Wings?

Seems impossible to ignore the butterfly effect of what coulda/woulda been if something 6 years ago had gone differently. I’d say anything that was even indirectly a factor in us landing Larkin was good for the rebuild though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wonder what happens if Dallas GM Jim Nill uses his brains, and picks Larkin at #13 instead of Julius Honka.

Are we going after Pastrnak at #14 ?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I dont get the impression anyone was offended, I think people are just sick and tired of threads being derailed by the same subject over and over and over again. This was a cool thread that you came up with and a I was excited to read a good back and forth about how we did in the 2014 draft. Now its going to turn into a rehashed argument that we have all heard 100 times about Janrkrok.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Wings drafted:
15-Larkin
63-Turgeon
106-Ehn
136-Perry
166-Vahatalo
196-Holmstrom
201-Kadeykin

I think a B+ is a fair grade. We hit a home run in the middle of the first round, and got one (maybe two) NHL players in the third round. Too bad Holmstrom didnt pan out, at one point I thought he was going to be a decent bottom 6 guy. Going into that draft, if you showed me the 2020 result and asked me to take it or leave it, I would take it in a heart beat. Definitely not an A draft, I think for an A you need to grab at least a couple high end players, but a solid B.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Jarnkrok would be tied for 3rd in scoring on our roster. Take away half his points and he is still outscoring Darren Helm

In a very much better team. Järnkrok is just another Helm, when we compare the points from multiple seasons.

But of course, other teams grass looks greener than our grass for you neganancies.

Reactions: newfy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad