Pronman Chooses Wahlstrom at #6 for Us - Chychrun vs Hronek/Cholowski = Toss Up

Lovonov

Jun 7, 2018
So Pronman was a guest on Craig Custance's regular podcast this week.

Pronman and Craig briefly touched on the controversial topic of the 2016 defender picks being side by side, valuing the two together. I agree with Pronman that Chychrun is probably the higher ceiling player, but Cholowski is definitely undervalued in comparison. Cholowski can skate better, but cannot match Jakob's defensive skills. Hronek could also be the dark horse winner among the 3 as far as talent and NHL success.

Pronman also chose Wahlstrom for the Wings at #6, with the top 5 going as...

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Hughes
5. Kotkaniemi
6. WAHLSTROM

What do you guys think?

The more I wonder, the more I see Wahlstrom being the obvious choice if he is available. We have Hronek, Cholowski, Lindstrom, Hicketts, and Lindstrom. One of them will stick, and become a solid top 3 defender on our team. While I argue that the D going in the top 10 will be very elite, I think Wahlstrom will surpass them in value.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
It should be noted that Pronman wasn’t mocking Wahlstrom to us, he was just taking the stance of using his big board, who would he pick if he ran each team.

He said he still expects us to draft a D.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
No thanks. Wahlstrom will be a hell of a player, but if Dobson and/or Bouchard are available, you take one of them. I can only speak for myself, but I think the overall consensus around here is take Dobson/Bouchard.

As for Chychrun/Cholowski/Hronek, it's a toss-up at this point. I have a feeling Hronek will be the best of the 3 due to offensive upside. Chychrun has proven he, at minimum, can play at the NHL level. I like Cholowski, but he needs to prove something at the pro level before I put him on the same level as the other 2. I'd rank them as : 1-Hronek, 2-Chychrun, 3-Cholowski in terms of NHL ceiling, and 1-Chychrun, 2-Hronek, 3-Cholowski in terms of chances of success at the NHL level. A lot can change over the next few years.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
No thanks. Wahlstrom will be a hell of a player, but if Dobson and/or Bouchard are available, you take one of them. I can only speak for myself, but I think the overall consensus around here is take Dobson/Bouchard.

As for Chychrun/Cholowski/Hronek, it's a toss-up at this point. I have a feeling Hronek will be the best of the 3 due to offensive upside. Chychrun has proven he, at minimum, can play at the NHL level. I like Cholowski, but he needs to prove something at the pro level before I put him on the same level as the other 2. I'd rank them as : 1-Hronek, 2-Chychrun, 3-Cholowski in terms of NHL ceiling, and 1-Chychrun, 2-Hronek, 3-Cholowski in terms of chances of success at the NHL level. A lot can change over the next few years.

Couldn't agree with you more, unless Tkachuk is available, but I'm dreaming.

Reactions: RedWingsfan55

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Pronman and Craig briefly touched on the controversial topic of the 2016 defender picks being side by side, valuing the two together. I agree with Pronman that Chychrun is probably the higher ceiling player, but Cholowski is definitely undervalued in comparison. Cholowski can skate better, but cannot match Jakob's defensive skills. Hronek could also be the dark horse winner among the 3 as far as talent and NHL success.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Hughes
5. Kotkaniemi
6. WAHLSTROM

What do you guys think?

The more I wonder, the more I see Wahlstrom being the obvious choice if he is available. We have Hronek, Cholowski, Lindstrom, Hicketts, and Lindstrom. One of them will stick, and become a solid top 3 defender on our team. While I argue that the D going in the top 10 will be very elite, I think Wahlstrom will surpass them in value.
Wahlstrom shouldn't be higher than Dobson or Tkachuk

Reactions: MikeyDee

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Pronman does not appear to think highly (or as highly) of dobson, and or bouchard. He said their is a big drop off after hughes in terms of the defenseman available.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Pronman does not appear to think highly (or as highly) of dobson, and or bouchard. He said their is a big drop off after hughes in terms of the defenseman available.
Pronman mostly looks at high end skill because he believes the goal of the draft is finding a star, and even the slightest chance of becoming one has huge value. This means guys who are more two-way players or play a simpler game usually get lower ranks than they normally would.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It's that if Hughes hits, he'll be far more successful than Dobson or Bouchard if they hit.

Highest ceiling of them all.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Hughes
5. Kotkaniemi
6. WAHLSTROM

What do you guys think?

I think this list is pathetic and there is not a chance in hell that Arizona takes Kotkanami. They are loaded with young centers.

Wahlstrom would be a shit pick with Dobson and Bouchard there.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Pronman is kind of a joke. I think there is almost zero chance that only one D gets taken in the first 6 picks and that it would be Hughes out of all of them.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Pronman says he sees Wahlstrom as a 30 goal guy. We haven’t had a 30 goal scorer in 10 years. We are pretty barren of elite talent.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pronman is kind of a joke. I think there is almost zero chance that only one D gets taken in the first 6 picks and that it would be Hughes out of all of them.

Looks like it’s pretty much just his top 6 prospects and not a mock draft.

OP was kinda misleading, not really sure there’s anything new to discuss here.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is almost the complete opposite of how Bob McKenzie described the scouts he polls' opinions right now. He said they have Dobson first. When he described their take on Hughes' potential, he said something like "zero defensive presence." It didn't sound very flattering.

Pronman is out to lunch, again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad