• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I would say Ovie and Buff, but despite what people say it is close.

Prime Pronger was much better than people clearly remember, and prime Smyth was still a 30g/70pt point player.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The two RH shooters are the far more "play driving" type guys imo. So them, pretty comfortably.

Smyth was fantastic at what he did, but never really struck me as a pure "play driver". Same for Pronger, who was a dominant physical defenceman at both ends of the ice...but i still don't really remember him as a big transition beast. He was more of a threat at either end of the ice than in the middle of it.

Where Ovechkin has shown he's got an ability to generate a lot of his own offense, if he has to...and just supplement it with PP tee offs. And Byfuglien at his absolute peak however brief, was a real wildcard. He could play a physical role, a rover role, a transition role, or just be a generally gigantic human being role.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The two RH shooters are the far more "play driving" type guys imo. So them, pretty comfortably.

Smyth was fantastic at what he did, but never really struck me as a pure "play driver". Same for Pronger, who was a dominant physical defenceman at both ends of the ice...but i still don't really remember him as a big transition beast. He was more of a threat at either end of the ice than in the middle of it.

Where Ovechkin has shown he's got an ability to generate a lot of his own offense, if he has to...and just supplement it with PP tee offs. And Byfuglien at his absolute peak however brief, was a real wildcard. He could play a physical role, a rover role, a transition role, or just be a generally gigantic human being role.

Not as a puck carrier, but Pronger's first pass out of the zone was as good as anyone.

Reactions: ESH

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not as a puck carrier, but Pronger's first pass out of the zone was as good as anyone.

I think the question is maybe about how the "first pass" has evolved. You're right though. Pronger made a career of taking pucks away from people, and quickly making that pass so somebody else could start moving the play in the right direction.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Smytty is a god in Edmonton, but it'd need to be a different player in order to offset ov vs other forward. Like Doug Weight+Pronger or something.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I liked Smyth but he doesn't belong with the other 3 imo. I'd take ovi and buff, and I reaaallllyyy like pronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad