"Projects"

Barnabyboy

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Concerning prospects, i hear the term "project" many times to discuss certain players. As a pens fan, i've heard that term used for Kevin Veilleux, and other examples over the years off the top of my head....Dan Focht(long time ago), Mike Rupp, Blake Wheeler

My question is, when i hear a prospect is a "project" i pretty much figure they arent gonna amount to very much in the NHL

Are there any examples of prospects who were coined "a project" that became a good NHL player?

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Mike Rupp, who you mentioned, is an interesting example of a project. He was drafted out of high school in 1998, I think, and re-entered the draft two years later (plummeting to the third round or so).

He scored two goals in game 7 of the 2003 cup final, securing victory for the Devils. So I'm sure the Devils would look at drafting this project in the third round and feel that he was a worthy pick. And yet I have no idea if he's still in the league, or with who. So does he count as a "project" who turned into a good player?

Yelnats Puc

Brust 'em up!
Aug 30, 2007
Ottawa
Mike Rupp, who you mentioned, is an interesting example of a project. He was drafted out of high school in 1998, I think, and re-entered the draft two years later (plummeting to the third round or so).

He scored two goals in game 7 of the 2003 cup final, securing victory for the Devils. So I'm sure the Devils would look at drafting this project in the third round and feel that he was a worthy pick. And yet I have no idea if he's still in the league, or with who. So does he count as a "project" who turned into a good player?
Mike Rupp

Not that great, 35 points in 227 games to date, and I wouldn't expect him to improve too greatly.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Andrei Kostitsyn was considered a project. He came from a non-traditional hockey country (Belarus) and was said to have a serious health issue (epilepsy).

I don't know if he can be considered a "good player" yet. A guy like Antropov (who I would consider the poster boy for a project becoming a good player) is further along in his development. However, he's a Top 6 forward with the Canadiens right now (he's 22 y/o).

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
Dustin Byfuglien is a bigtime project for the Hawks. He was picked in the 8th round in 2003. The jury is still out on whether he will ever be good defensively, but his offensive game is awesome. 23 points in 36 games as a defenseman (3 of those he played at wing I think), and he has only played 60-ish games total in the NHL so far I think. He started out with no commitment to being in shape and had many other negative intangibles, but he has always had good skills.

The Hawks seem to be big on projects. Akim Aliu looks like another one that is going to pay off. He is dominating in London right now from what I understand. If he gets his head on straight he will be at least a 2nd line power forward, maybe a first liner.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Dustin Byfuglien is a bigtime project for the Hawks. He was picked in the 8th round in 2003. The jury is still out on whether he will ever be good defensively, but his offensive game is awesome. 23 points in 36 games as a defenseman (3 of those he played at wing I think), and he has only played 60-ish games total in the NHL so far I think. He started out with no commitment to being in shape and had many other negative intangibles, but he has always had good skills.

The Hawks seem to be big on projects. Akim Aliu looks like another one that is going to pay off. He is dominating in London right now from what I understand. If he gets his head on straight he will be at least a 2nd line power forward, maybe a first liner.

I got to watch him last night vs. Plymouth. I honestly don't see what all the hype is, granted, this is the 1st time I've seen him. His skating looks akward, kind of hesitant almost, like he has to think about how to skate rather than it coming naturally. His Hockey sense looked alright when he had the puck, but when he was away he was always looking around on where to be and moving in and out of position. He does have good hands though, stickhandling is good, and he does shy away from physical contact.

As far as dominating, I didn't see it. If I didn't plan on paying attention to the guy, I never would have noticed him. Maroon and Ramano looked good, very good moves and playmaking, even McRae stood out as well. McRae looks like a pond hockey player though.

Sorry about the ramble, just thought I'd pass it along.

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
I got to watch him last night vs. Plymouth. I honestly don't see what all the hype is, granted, this is the 1st time I've seen him. His skating looks akward, kind of hesitant almost, like he has to think about how to skate rather than it coming naturally. His Hockey sense looked alright when he had the puck, but when he was away he was always looking around on where to be and moving in and out of position. He does have good hands though, stickhandling is good, and he does shy away from physical contact.

As far as dominating, I didn't see it. If I didn't plan on paying attention to the guy, I never would have noticed him. Maroon and Ramano looked good, very good moves and playmaking, even McRae stood out as well. McRae looks like a pond hockey player though.

Sorry about the ramble, just thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks for the info. I haven't talked to anyone that has seen him play recently so I am going off second hand information that I read online. This article that someone posted in the Hawks forum here seems to talk him up pretty good. I'm happy the Hawks took a chance on him. Hopefully he works out. I like that they spend a few picks on high risk/high reward guys like this.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/829/1/

Since being given a fresh start in London, Aliu has been the team's most electrifying player. Capable of turning defenders inside and out off the rush with big-league speed and moves, the 18 year-old's ability to find the open man ignites the team's attack. In 40 games, Aliu's 40 points are just two shy of his total all of last season, and he projects to score more points this year than he has in his OHL career to date.

Scouting Report: Blazing speed and acceleration; burns defenders to the outside by combining that speed with fantastic hands. Elite vision and passing ability. Never gives up on the play.

Theron

#beauty
Jul 19, 2007
Burlington, Ontario
it would be nice to see Aliu make it to the big game..

and him and Steve Downie could get reacquainted

thats ofcoarse if Downie dosent have another 20 game suspension he's fulfilling by then.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I haven't talked to anyone that has seen him play recently so I am going off second hand information that I read online. This article that someone posted in the Hawks forum here seems to talk him up pretty good. I'm happy the Hawks took a chance on him. Hopefully he works out. I like that they spend a few picks on high risk/high reward guys like this.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/829/1/

Since being given a fresh start in London, Aliu has been the team's most electrifying player. Capable of turning defenders inside and out off the rush with big-league speed and moves, the 18 year-old's ability to find the open man ignites the team's attack. In 40 games, Aliu's 40 points are just two shy of his total all of last season, and he projects to score more points this year than he has in his OHL career to date.

Scouting Report: Blazing speed and acceleration; burns defenders to the outside by combining that speed with fantastic hands. Elite vision and passing ability. Never gives up on the play.

I didn't see any of the scouting report in the game I saw him play. He actually looked pretty bored out there, not much hustle.

But, like I said, that was my 1st time seeing him, and it was only one game.

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
I didn't see any of the scouting report in the game I saw him play. He actually looked pretty bored out there, not much hustle.

But, like I said, that was my 1st time seeing him, and it was only one game.

I think one of the reasons he is a project is that he is inconsistent. I'm hoping you saw him on an off night.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
it would be nice to see Aliu make it to the big game..

and him and Steve Downie could get reacquainted

thats ofcoarse if Downie dosent have another 20 game suspension he's fulfilling by then.

"downie's syndrome" will probably be a healthy scratch that night as there will be an excess of babies with candy in the park across from the philly arena... gotta have your prorities i order and all :)

Barnabyboy

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, i forgot about Antropov and D. Penner. It just seems that when the Pens draft a "project" that means its a wasted pick.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
Akim has been the knights absolute best and most valuable player in the past 20+games. He's played HARD along the walls .. has been their best and most consistent scorer, played defense even (leading to discussions as to wether his future would be as a d-man). IF he keeps a consistent effort level( and continues maturing) I do see him ready for at least the AHL by next year. Good to see another great nigerian hockey player :)

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
I see a "project player" as one that has raw skills in certain areas but lacks in others, or one that requires a lot of development but has a very high upside. Just to use examples from my own team, Alex Steen and Nik Antropov would be examples of two "project players".

Saint Nik needed a lot of work all around, but after a lot of years of frustration he's become a great player for us, and probably the best forward on our team not named Mats.

Alex Steen is a different type of example of a "project player". The Leafs drafted a kid with great vision, speed, creative instincts and world class hockey sense. His first year over in North America was pretty good, netting close to 20 goals and finishing with 45 points. But Alex did lack in a few areas of his game, most notably on the defensive side of the puck. So last year he was put on the wing (he's a natural centre) to focus on a shutdown role for the entire season. Coming into this season, he's now one of the best players on the team away from the puck, and along with Matt Stajan leads the Penalty Kill. Although his production was down from his first year, he's still a much better player that he orignally was. Now he's being eased back into a more offensive role, while still being told to keep his defensive game up. He's responded well with 2 goals, and assist, and a SO winning goal in the last 3 games. He's also silently becoming a leader both on the ice and in the dressing room. He's getting involved almost on a daily basis with the media, and sticking up for his teammates. It helps that management has placed him besides Mats in the dressing room since day 1.

It may sound like a slow and tedious process, but if things continue the way they have there is no doubt in my mind Alex Steen, like Antropov, will continue to become one of the best forwards on this team. If all goes well you should one day see a fast, creative forward with great vision, that can play in any situation (whether it be clutch scorer late, shutting down the opponents best players, leading the PK or PP, etc...), at any forward position, and a great leader.

Edit; Just to add to this, Christopher DiDomenico is another example of a "Project". 2nd in the QMJHL in scoring at 18 years old, the 6th round pick still needs to fill out and improve his skating. But if he does, you get a great player.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I see a "project player" as one that has raw skills in certain areas but lacks in others, or one that requires a lot of development but has a very high upside. Just to use examples from my own team, Alex Steen and Nik Antropov would be examples of two "project players".

Saint Nik needed a lot of work all around, but after a lot of years of frustration he's become a great player for us, and probably the best forward on our team not named Mats.

Alex Steen is a different type of example of a "project player". The Leafs drafted a kid with great vision, speed, creative instincts and world class hockey sense. His first year over in North America was pretty good, netting close to 20 goals and finishing with 45 points. But Alex did lack in a few areas of his game, most notably on the defensive side of the puck. So last year he was put on the wing (he's a natural centre) to focus on a shutdown role for the entire season. Coming into this season, he's now one of the best players on the team away from the puck, and along with Matt Stajan leads the Penalty Kill. Although his production was down from his first year, he's still a much better player that he orignally was. Now he's being eased back into a more offensive role, while still being told to keep his defensive game up. He's responded well with 2 goals, and assist, and a SO winning goal in the last 3 games. He's also silently becoming a leader both on the ice and in the dressing room. He's getting involved almost on a daily basis with the media, and sticking up for his teammates. It helps that management has placed him besides Mats in the dressing room since day 1.

It may sound like a slow and tedious process, but if things continue the way they have there is no doubt in my mind Alex Steen, like Antropov, will continue to become one of the best forwards on this team. If all goes well you should one day see a fast, creative forward with great vision, that can play in any situation (whether it be clutch scorer late, shutting down the opponents best players, leading the PK or PP, etc...), at any forward position, and a great leader.

Edit; Just to add to this, Christopher DiDomenico is another example of a "Project". 2nd in the QMJHL in scoring at 18 years old, the 6th round pick still needs to fill out and improve his skating. But if he does, you get a great player.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Leafs fans need to wait a year or 2 longer, before Steen really puts up BIG numbers in the NHL.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Edler was a project when he was drafted and was brought along slowly and is becoming a solid NHL d-man at this point, but I'm not sure anyone really knows how good he can be at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad