Salary Cap: Projection of McAvoy and Pastrnak next contracts? (Poll)

What does McAvoy and Pastrnak next contracts look like?

• Total voters

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Today Svechnikov got a 8 year 62 million dollar extension. 7.75m per

A player that has never scored more than 65 point before.

While Pasta has already won the award for co top scorer in the league. Has scored 95 points just a few seasons ago.

This past off season many top calibre defensmens got paid some big bucks. Werenski even got 9.5m per.

So what does this mean for Pastrnak and McAvoy next deals?

Richard Lather

Jan 28, 2020
I think you're looking at 9.5 to 10 million for both of them. Yes this offseason has been nutty for some contracts, both Pastrnak and McAvoy have very proven track records.

You're looking at two players that are easily in the top 5 of their positions in the league, they're due to be paid that way.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Why should Pasta get less than Point (9.5m per) for example?
Especially when Bergeron and Marchand are either retired or not as productive and there's not much in the pipeline. No need to take a discount. I really hope Pasta loves Boston, because honestly, I wouldn't blame him if he left for a better team when his contract is up.

Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I voted 8 to 9 but if Pastrnak hits unrestricted free agency and bolts town he's getting 10 million plus per year.

This is a league with by my count 27 players who have cap hits of 9 million or more. And most of them are lesser players than David Pastrnak.

This upcoming year is a UFA year for Pasta believe it or not. He could of been a UFA as early as this summer. Unless his production goes in the tank, he'll enter the 2023 UFA class going into his Age 27 season as a former Rocket winner and one of hockey's most consistent goal scoring threats. Anything below 9 for Pasta in Boston I don't think is realistic at all. On the open market he'll easily command 10 million plus.

McAvoy won't be a UFA but the Bruins will be buying a pile of UFA years on his next deal. All but the first year of the contract. Given what the likes of Werenski and Nurse got, I think McAvoy easily commands a deal over 8 million per. He's every bit as valuable of a player, maybe even moreso, than Nurse, Werenski, Hamilton, etc. McAvoy is a Top 10 D-man in the league IMO, I'm not sure those other guys are.

But that's all market comparable stuff. I said the same stuff about Marchand comparing him to guys like Tarasenko and figure 7.5 would be his range and he took a million less per year. If Pasta and McAvoy love the Bruins and Boston, they could very well take less to have a more competitive team as other stars have done here in the recent past.

If they could get both for say 18 million between them, I think that is a great deal for Boston.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think it probably costs you around $20M for both of them, depending on the lengths of the deals.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I voted 8 to 9 but if Pastrnak hits unrestricted free agency and bolts town he's getting 10 million plus per year.

This is a league with by my count 27 players who have cap hits of 9 million or more. And most of them are lesser players than David Pastrnak.

This upcoming year is a UFA year for Pasta believe it or not. He could of been a UFA as early as this summer. Unless his production goes in the tank, he'll enter the 2023 UFA class going into his Age 27 season as a former Rocket winner and one of hockey's most consistent goal scoring threats. Anything below 9 for Pasta in Boston I don't think is realistic at all. On the open market he'll easily command 10 million plus.

McAvoy won't be a UFA but the Bruins will be buying a pile of UFA years on his next deal. All but the first year of the contract. Given what the likes of Werenski and Nurse got, I think McAvoy easily commands a deal over 8 million per. He's every bit as valuable of a player, maybe even moreso, than Nurse, Werenski, Hamilton, etc. McAvoy is a Top 10 D-man in the league IMO, I'm not sure those other guys are.

But that's all market comparable stuff. I said the same stuff about Marchand comparing him to guys like Tarasenko and figure 7.5 would be his range and he took a million less per year. If Pasta and McAvoy love the Bruins and Boston, they could very well take less to have a more competitive team as other stars have done here in the recent past.

If they could get both for say 18 million between them, I think that is a great deal for Boston.

good points. Bruins do have a bit more control over McAvoy

but with Pasta.. I doubt he will provide a hometown discount this time. The last contract situation, dragged out until the last second. And word was Pasta was not pleased as he thought he was worth more than 6.66 m per (and he was right)

It is probably in the Bruins best interest to offer Pasta 9m per out of the gates. Initiate this offer to his agent. Otherwise if Donny/Jacobs try to lowball offer him (like 8m per) this time around. My guess is that he entertains offer through FA. At this stage, Donny would have to trade him, otherwise lose a player like that for nothing. All in all would be a bad situation (to lose a player like Pasta)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I put 8-9 mill only because every time I think DS will have to pay max money to someone, he always seems to get them to sign deals under their value or what you would expect they could easily get on the open market

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I think they take home town discounts because Boston has great sponsors. They probably make a lot from other sources when they are a Bruin.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
While I have McAvoy in at 8.75-9.25, I think Pasta will likely get more than that unless he has a really down season or two. This next contract will be his shot at a big payday. It's nice that he says he doesn't play hockey for the money, but he is going to want something in the vicinity of his value. Provided Pasta has a good couple seasons, I think 10-10.5 is what the Bs are looking at paying if he gives them a hometown discount. Should they pay that? Look at the prospect pool, the Bs struggles with even strength scoring, the aging core, and realize the answer is "absolutely, they need to keep him." Pasta on the open market easily gets 11 per, likely more by the time his current contract is up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad