TSN: Projection: Chris Kunitz on the 1st line... of Team Canada?

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Linky-link

Up front it was no surprise that Sidney Crosby was centring the top line, flanked by wingers Chris Kunitz and Steven Stamkos.

Torn on this. Maybe because I'm a Pens fan and I like Kunitz. Obviously there's chemistry with Crosby and maybe that's what's important but it doesn't seem right that Kunitz be one of the 12 Canadian forwards in that lineup. I could see Neal.

Thoughts?

kling66

Jun 29, 2010
I think it would be a smart thing to do for Canada. Chemistry can be a huge thing in such a short tournament. If they would just pick the 12 best forwards to play they might end up with a worse result.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I think it would be a smart thing to do for Canada. Chemistry can be a huge thing in such a short tournament. If they would just pick the 12 best forwards to play they might end up with a worse result.

It's not like Kunitz is some slug, either. The guy's been a steady 50-60 point man over his NHL career and posted 52 points in 41 games in the shortened 2012-13 season.

People wouldn't give a second though to the notion of Jamie Benn or Logan Couture playing for Team Canada, yet Kunitz's 0.69 career points per game isn't far off Couture's 0.71 or Benn's 0.73. That's not to say Kunitz is as good as either, and both clearly have a much bigger upside than Kunitz, but when put into context it really isn't that far-fetched for Kunitz to wear the red & white.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Interesting and I could see it. I mean when the other winger is Stamkos, you don't need some super star to be on Sid's left. That line needs a puck retrieval with skill and that is exactly Kunitz.

They didn't have Letang on defense which would bum me out. Let's hope he has a monster start to the season and slides onto the team.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Love Kunitz, but no I don't think he should be on Team Canada.

Crosby has played with a ton of these guys enough that I don't think chemistry will take long to build. Put him on a line with Tavares or Giroux and Stamkos and they'll be scoring every shift. (exaggerating my American friends but you get the point)

Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux >>> Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos

kling66

Jun 29, 2010
Love Kunitz, but no I don't think he should be on Team Canada.

Crosby has played with a ton of these guys enough that I don't think chemistry will take long to build. Put him on a line with Tavares or Giroux and Stamkos and they'll be scoring every shift. (exaggerating my American friends but you get the point)

Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux >>> Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos

On paper that line is clearly better, but who knows if it's better on ice? What if those players have almost no chemistry and end up playing worse than what the KCS-line would?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
On paper that line is clearly better, but who knows if it's better on ice? What if those players have almost no chemistry and end up playing worse than what the KCS-line would?

Yeah it's certainly possible. Plus, the "too many cooks in the kitchen" may apply. I'd imagine both Giroux and Sid want the puck all the time. Sure these guys will take a back seat for their country but it will still be an adjustment to become a "complimentary player" on their line when they are used to calling the shots. I'm not saying it will definitely be an issue, but it's still possible. That said, I'm not sure I care that much if Kunitz is or isn't on the team.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012

It's possible, but I think once you get players of such an elite caliber as those guys, they have hockey IQ and experience such that they can construct and communicate a gameplan and figure out what they want to do pretty quickly.

I'm just playing Devil's advocate really though. You know Crosby just instinctively knows where Kunitz is on the ice at all times.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i'll admit that i love seeing the response from Canadian hockey bloggers/writers on twitter - their collective faces are melting, especially the ones from Edmonton. too bad, there's so much vitriol aimed at Koon, it ain't his fault - you know, there's a management 'brain-trust' in place that's responsible for putting together the team.

edit: for the record, i don't think he should make the team, but if he did the twitter/blog 'outrage' would be awesome. i'd imagine detroit-level bitterness from supporters of Hall, Ladd, Benn, ect.

Last edited:

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
There will be flames thrown if Kunitz makes the team, no doubt. It is definitely too bad.

If he does make the team, I hope he has a great tournament.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
i'll admit that i love seeing the response from Canadian hockey bloggers/writers on twitter - their collective faces are melting, especially the ones from Edmonton. too bad, there's so much vitriol aimed at Koon, it ain't his fault - you know, there's a management 'brain-trust' in place that's responsible for putting together the team.

Luckily, I still have strong doubts Kunitz makes the team. Canada made the mistake of taking role players over best players in 2006 (though they also made the mistake of also overvaluing experience).

Kunitz making the team would be a mistake. Yes, he has chemistry with Crosby, but that chemistry is on NHL ice under Bylsma's system. Who knows if it will translate to international ice under Babcock. I'd trust the higher skill players to better adjust their game.

And heaven forbid Team Canada selects Kunitz, and then Crosby gets injured. Not only would team Canada lose Crosby but they just wasted a roster spot on Kunitz then.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Probably not the wisest plan, honestly.

I feel like you simply take the best players in a short tournament, like this. And owing to the large rink... those with the most creativity/skill. I love Kunitz... but the national team has better players at it's disposal. Though I doubt it would make or break them, one way or the other. He's no slouch.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I could see it. God knows Sid had issues establishing chemistry last Olympics, and a lot of his game is predicated on knowing where people are going to be.

If making sure they get the most out of Sid is a priority for the Team Canada brass, it might be smart to put Kunitz on one side of him and a guy who's capable of carrying the mail when Sid gets double-teamed on the other.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I could see it. God knows Sid had issues establishing chemistry last Olympics, and a lot of his game is predicated on knowing where people are going to be.

If making sure they get the most out of Sid is a priority for the Team Canada brass, it might be smart to put Kunitz on one side of him and a guy who's capable of carrying the mail when Sid gets double-teamed on the other.

Having the best finisher in the game who's capable of carrying the puck ain't a bad RW option.

It'd be entertaining to see Giroux there as well.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
And heaven forbid Team Canada selects Kunitz, and then Crosby gets injured. Not only would team Canada lose Crosby but they just wasted a roster spot on Kunitz then.

This is exactly what I have been thinking all along. They had a bit of trouble in Vancouver finding line mates that had chemistry with Sid, so I can see why Kunitz would be in consideration, but I was pretty surprised when he was invited to the camp.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
For chemistry sake, no biggie. I'm more surprised they didn't have Letang on their team given the larger ice surface.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not. They already have Subban and Letang, despite the seeming consensus on this board, has more question marks than Subban does. Especially after this past post season. I think Subban is even being penciled in for the bottom pairing, as is. There just really doesn't seem to be any logical spot for Letang.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad