Speculation: Projecting lines for 2017-18

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What's the deal with Jankowski? Is he expected to make the team or stay in the AHL?

You know I've asked myself that question multiple times. I really have no clue. If he isn't making the team it's because there are 3 centers above him, and the only center not above him is probably being used in his contract year to see what value he brings back at the TD. What's your offer for Jankowski? Big smart great defensive center (In fact Jankowski was seen as NHL ready in terms of size, it was his offensive game that had huge question marks), yet Jankowski put up an excellent rookie season as far as scoring went in the AHL. We need a RHS winger that is a sniper and has a strong AHL track record.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
You know I've asked myself that question multiple times. I really have no clue. If he isn't making the team it's because there are 3 centers above him, and the only center not above him is probably being used in his contract year to see what value he brings back at the TD. What's your offer for Jankowski? Big smart great defensive center (In fact Jankowski was seen as NHL ready in terms of size, it was his offensive game that had huge question marks), yet Jankowski put up an excellent rookie season as far as scoring went in the AHL. We need a RHS winger that is a sniper and has a strong AHL track record.

Around trade deadline this last season I remember thinking Aberg for Jankowski, reasoning being that at the time both seemed to be sort of lost in the depth charts and that it would've filled organizational needs for both teams.

Now that being stuck in the AHL isn't likely the case for Aberg anymore since Neal is gone, I'm not so sure.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Around trade deadline this last season I remember thinking Aberg for Jankowski, reasoning being that at the time both seemed to be sort of lost in the depth charts and that it would've filled organizational needs for both teams.

Now that being stuck in the AHL isn't likely the case for Aberg anymore since Neal is gone, I'm not so sure.

That's exactly who I'd want if Jankowski was to be traded. I understand the winger thing, but the thing is Jarnkrok can always be moved back to wing, in fact I think Jarnkrok might be better there, he's not a particularly good faceoff man, nor has the stamina to be a full time center.

If an Aberg for Jankowski trade went down:
JOFA
Smith-Bonino-Fiala
Hartnell-Jankowski-Jarnkrok
Watson-Sissons-Gaudreau/Salomaki

Wouldn't look too bad.

I think both teams will fit better with this sort of deal, Jankowski is overshadowed both present and future by Monahan, Backlund, and Bennett. Jankowski very soon if developed properly could overshadow Bonino. Aberg has the chance to play top line, where I mean he could get a chance with Nashville, but far less likely.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
That's exactly who I'd want if Jankowski was to be traded. I understand the winger thing, but the thing is Jarnkrok can always be moved back to wing, in fact I think Jarnkrok might be better there, he's not a particularly good faceoff man, nor has the stamina to be a full time center.

If an Aberg for Jankowski trade went down:
JOFA
Smith-Bonino-Fiala
Hartnell-Jankowski-Jarnkrok
Watson-Sissons-Gaudreau/Salomaki

Wouldn't look too bad.

I think both teams will fit better with this sort of deal, Jankowski is overshadowed both present and future by Monahan, Backlund, and Bennett. Jankowski very soon if developed properly could overshadow Bonino. Aberg has the chance to play top line, where I mean he could get a chance with Nashville, but far less likely.

Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to that.
Yeah, nothing against Jankowski, but Poile protected Jarnkrok for a reason. I think they really value his "buddy factor" with some of the other players? Chemistry is so hard for us to understand as fans, but I think they have a strong desire to keep certain players together if possible.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Yeah, nothing against Jankowski, but Poile protected Jarnkrok for a reason. I think they really value his "buddy factor" with some of the other players? Chemistry is so hard for us to understand as fans, but I think they have a strong desire to keep certain players together if possible.

I was talking about Aberg, not Jarnkrok. I wouldn't want to trade Jarnkrok.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I was talking about Aberg, not Jarnkrok. I wouldn't want to trade Jarnkrok.
Oh. I couldn't shift my eyeballs 2mm to the right of the centers listed, I guess. Sorry for my lack of reading comprehension.

Well, Aberg being the case, I guess I don't know why the Flames would consider it. Not that I know anything about Jankowski, but he's a little younger, bigger, and did about as well in his 1st AHL season as Aberg managed in his 3rd? :dunno:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Don't see any reason why we'd touch that, either. We've just decided to give him a chance in the top-9 and he did pretty well in the playoffs. But obviously we need more from him.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
My line projections for next season:

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson
Fiala-Bonino-Smith
Hartnell-Jarnkrok-Aberg
Salomaki-Sissons-Watson
McLeod-Gaudreau

I think that gives us good balance. The top line will get a chance to replicate their success from this season. Smith gets a good shot at bouncing back to 20+ goal form with Fiala's speed opening up the ice, and we see how Bonino looks with a couple of pretty fast guys on his wings.

Hartnell has good size and grit, and Aberg has decent size to help cover up Jarnkrok's ... smallness. While Jarnkrok has good defensive awareness, and Hartnell creating chaos around the net should help cover for one of Jarnkrok's biggest weaknesses, his slow release. Aberg should add a little speed to the line as well.

The middle six is going to be a jumble right now, though, until someone shows some chemistry. And I expect Sissons to push Jarnkrok as well, with the potential for them to swap spots at 3C and 4C.

SauceMyBiscuit

Aug 22, 2015
Atlanta, GA
My line projections for next season:

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson
Fiala-Bonino-Smith
Hartnell-Jarnkrok-Aberg
Salomaki-Sissons-Watson
McLeod-Gaudreau

I think that gives us good balance. The top line will get a chance to replicate their success from this season. Smith gets a good shot at bouncing back to 20+ goal form with Fiala's speed opening up the ice, and we see how Bonino looks with a couple of pretty fast guys on his wings.

Hartnell has good size and grit, and Aberg has decent size to help cover up Jarnkrok's ... smallness. While Jarnkrok has good defensive awareness, and Hartnell creating chaos around the net should help cover for one of Jarnkrok's biggest weaknesses, his slow release. Aberg should add a little speed to the line as well.

The middle six is going to be a jumble right now, though, until someone shows some chemistry. And I expect Sissons to push Jarnkrok as well, with the potential for them to swap spots at 3C and 4C.

Isn't Aberg the same size as Jarnkrok?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
We've lost a bunch of scoring so I'm hoping to see Gaudreau/Salomaki-Sissons-Watson 4th line for scoring and for the first time franchise history have a productive 4th line. Also, defense needs to score almost like in the playoffs. Hope we can replace some scoring through changes in PP.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Isn't Aberg the same size as Jarnkrok?

Aberg is listed as 5'11", 196 lbs. Jarnkrok is the same height, ten pounds lighter. Aberg is also 23, while Jarnkrok is 25, so I still have a little hope he might put on another few pounds.

So, not a lot bigger, but I think 10 pounds is enough to make a difference.

Also, I didn't realize Jarnkrok was 5'11". He just seems small on the ice, while Aberg doesn't. At least, to me.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We've lost a bunch of scoring so I'm hoping to see Gaudreau/Salomaki-Sissons-Watson 4th line for scoring and for the first time franchise history have a productive 4th line. Also, defense needs to score almost like in the playoffs. Hope we can replace some scoring through changes in PP.

Aberg has a decent hockey i.q your sleeping on. Over 200 pro games under his belt.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Everyone has Bonino or Jarnkrok as the 2nd line center yet Sissons was the one to move up when Johansen went down.

Sissons in the playoffs, in a 3rd line role for most of it, was scoring at a 22 goal per season pace. Small sample size I know but I wouldn't discount him yet.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Everyone has Bonino or Jarnkrok as the 2nd line center yet Sissons was the one to move up when Johansen went down.

Sissons in the playoffs, in a 3rd line role for most of it, was scoring at a 22 goal per season pace. Small sample size I know but I wouldn't discount him yet.
I wouldn't discount him either. In fact, practically our whole lines 2-4 could be of equal value, mixing and matching whatever elements seem to have the best chemistry. Maybe Sissons turns out to play well with a more skilled guy on his wings, or in a similar fashion Watson keeps stepping up and can add a physical presence while contributing with Jarnkrok or Bonino. They usually get lumped onto a 4th line in roster projections, but they are both young and showed some good signs of progression last season. Lots of options.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I wouldn't discount him either. In fact, practically our whole lines 2-4 could be of equal value, mixing and matching whatever elements seem to have the best chemistry. Maybe Sissons turns out to play well with a more skilled guy on his wings, or in a similar fashion Watson keeps stepping up and can add a physical presence while contributing with Jarnkrok or Bonino. They usually get lumped onto a 4th line in roster projections, but they are both young and showed some good signs of progression last season. Lots of options.

Could definitely see both Watson and Sissons get some top 6 minutes this season. Both were great during the playoffs so hopefully that translates into their regular season play as well.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Would be a game-changer if he grew up to be 2C. But agreed, he's a solid player nonetheless and our center depth looks really good. As long as we have the wing depth to support we should have very solid 2-4 lines. Which should be our strength up front since we don't have much starpower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad