Speculation: Projecting 2017-18

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The rules are simple with what Calgary has today in its system who are the top 7 players on the team in the order of importance to the team. No trades, no future draft picks. What is on the club today.

Last edited:

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
1. Gaudreau
2. Bennett
3. Brodie
4. Monahan
5. Hamilton
6. Gillies
7. Gio

moon*

1. Brodie
2. Monahan
3. Bennett
4. Hamilton
5. Gaudreau
6. Gio
7. Shinkaruk/Poirier

I know it is cheating to put two guys at 7 but I think we really need one of them to turn out to be a top 6 winger. If I had to choose one I think Shinkaruk is more likely to be the guy that fills that role.

Left off the two young goalies because it is too hard to predict if either is going to do anything at the NHL level.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Your funny Range. I am suprised you didn't poke fun at me liking Wotherspoon .. lol

I wouldn't get on you for that, maybe if you suggested we trade him straight up for Schultz...

My actual list though, no jokes:

1. Gaudreau
2. Brodie
3. Bennett
4. Monahan
5. Hamilton
6. Gio
7. Poirier

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
1. Gaudreau
2. Brodie
3. Bennett
4. Monahan
5. Giordano
6. Hamilton
7. Gillies

Feel Gillies would rank higher had he played the whole season, really think he's the real deal and may have worked his way to our #1 goalie with all the turmoil in net this year. I'm not nearly as worried about the state of our crease as some. I also think Ortio is just now getting out of his funk and we are seeing the team play a lot more confidently because of it. I know only a couple games, but I do think he's a capable goaltender. Had he been given the chance earlier in the season. I think the whole 3 goalie situation had him messed up in the head a bit and totally threw him off his game.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Looking at everybody’s list of top 7 players in terms of their importance to the club I see that most if not all have identified with the core of the hockey club. Now where they rank ranges but that’s to be expected when you ask for opinions.

When compiling my list I look at the roles that need to be filled to put together a contender and move from there. The most difficult positions to fill league wide and thus the most important players are first and second line centers and top pairing defencemen. There is a huge difference between the Bozak’s and Desharnais’ of the league and effective first and second line centers.

Centers and Defencemen take longer to develop in the NHL and more often than not lag behind their Winger counterparts. Both positions are allot more complex than the wing. A true test of that is to see Sam who was put on the wing to start his career. IMO both Sean and Sam are likely to develop greatly in the next 2 years while Johnny plateaus a little.

1. Sean Monahan- My first and second choices are pretty much indivisible at this point as development will dictate who is the true #1. I rank Monahan first because his hockey IQ appears to be higher and yes many will debate this point. Sean is a calm cool customer and is very serious about the sport he plays. Sean wants to be that leader that everybody looks to. He will not be happy being until he has taken his game and improved it until he feels his talents and skills have been exhausted. His dedication to his craft is what I think separates him from Sam.
  2. Sam Bennett- Sam has the heart of a champion. His unbridled desire to play and excel is among his best qualities. Sam is the guy you want to knock down that brick wall as he won’t quit until he succeeds. Sam wants to play his opponents into the ice.
  3. TJ Brodie- Brodie is one of a handful of defensemen in the league that can even attempt to fill a roll like Scott Neidermayer. Will he eventually one day be mentioned in the same breath?… Only time will tell. Brodie is the heart of the back end with his slick passing, skating and the ability to recover from bad situations not to mention his solid defensive play.
  4. Dougie Hamilton- Dougie has the size to dominate defensively, and skill to always be a threat offensively. Despite Hamilton’s rough start to this season he has shown he is able to adapt and move his game forward.
  5. Johnny Gaudreau- Johnny is the heartbeat to the team in so many senses. The energy he exudes infects the team. His ability to dangle is already making him a legend league wide. Johnny will turn a dangerous first line into an unending nightmare for other teams. Johnny is not given the credit he should be due for how solid he is on his skates.
  6. Jon Gilles- Jon does not need to be Carey Price, Holtby, Bishop or Lunquist for Calgary. He just has to compare with Crawford, or Niemi though I think he will be allot more.
  7. Gio- Every team needs a leader and though Gio will likely be playing less minutes it won’t take away from his leadership skills and what I expect to still be excellent hockey skills. For Calgary to be able to take a run at the cup Gio’s minutes will need to be reduced so he has all he needs in the tank for the cup runs.

Honorable Mentions:
Mikael Backlund – Back’s has turned into a very good 200’ center. Now that the high expectations have been taken off his shoulders he has embraced his role on the team. Back’s has the talent to make the Flames an offensively dangerous team in the top 3 lines.

Kylington- One day a ways down the road this young man has the potential to force management to make a decision on which D to keep and which one is expendable.

Poirier/ Shinkaruk/Klimchuck – One of these players needs to reach for the brass ring to become part of the Flames offensive machine.

Needs for the team:

As a whole the club needs a crisper higher tempo passing game with speed.

Johnny is not the man designed to be the quarterback for the PP. Brodie needs to be that man with his ability to skate, pass, and hockey IQ. This should be one of Brodie’s challenges.

The club needs to become better at drafting and developing top 6 forwards.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
did some quick analysis since I was curious how things would look if we counted everyone's vote (giving 7 points to a #1 vote and 1 point to a #7). Here are the results...

Gaudreau - 82
Brodie - 74
Bennett - 65
Monahan - 58
Hamilton - 37
Giordano - 27
Gillies - 17
Backlund - 2
Poirier - 1.5
Shinkaruk - 0.5

Last edited:

Ad