Advice: Problems with turning clockwise and one legged balance

Andread95

May 5, 2015
Since it's my first post here i wanted to say hello to everybody :)
I've been learning how to play hockey and skate since a few month and it has been really fun!
But there's one thing that keeps me from fully enjoying the game.
I'm pretty confident with tight turns and stopping counterclockwise, but can't even manage to perform a simple turn clockwise.
I always end up with my right skate on the inside edge, and moving behind my left foot instead of ahead of it, like this /\, instead of //.
I can't even manage to perform a simple slalom drill, like this shown here in 0:50 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLKlUpxPrhA
or one foot balance exercises on my right foot because i always end up with it on the inside edge.
When i take off my skates the toes in my right foot start to hurt.
After the last few skating sessions and countless attempts to do a proper turn i am experiencing pain in my right groin.
The ice rinks in my area have already closed, so i switched to inline, but the problems stayed the same.
My skates are bauer vapor x60r for inline and bauer supreme 140 for ice.
My right foot is 2mm smaller than my left foot.
Thanks for reading and any suggestions regarding my problem :help:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I'd suggest you probably have more knee bend going on on the outside leg than the inside. You've really got to get the bend going on the inside leg, get that inside skate forward but put more weight on and power through with that outside skate.

You will just be a lot stronger and balanced on one skate than the other and will be taking the same posture or stance on your strong side turn when turning to your weaker side. You really have to consciously work on changing it over or mirroring it to the other side.

I see too many people trying to do stuff way to fast and hard at the expense of technique. You need to slow it right down and concentrate on the technique, then when you get the hang of it start to try and build some power and speed.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
My biggest breakthrough in skating was taking some one on one proper power skating lessons. He spent a lot of time on gliding and turning and doing other stuff to even up my weak and strong sides and balance. Once the gap between the two closed up, the weak side turning and cross overs and the like evened right up with the strong side. It's still not 50/50, but it's not far off (is anyone 50/50?), most noticeable in being able to play, take or catch the puck or take passes off the skate, when you are just on one skate.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Sounds like my initial problem (still currently but less so). Of you being so used to using one side that you simply don't trust your weak foot. Putting all your stress of turning against your strong side (similar to favouring one leg when the other is injured) is likely causing your groin to hurt.

You will need to practice shifting weight and balancing on your weak foot (without turning first) before trying to turn. Either do straight pushes and just start off short strides until you get long strides on the weak foot. You can start with supporting boards or the walker type devices depending if you can stand on the weak foot or not.

Also maybe take your stance lower, if you are tipping over. Easier to balance yourself if your center of gravity is lower.

Andread95

May 5, 2015
Thanks for all responses. :) I'ill try to do more balance exercises on my weak foot, hope it will help.

@windycity do you know any balance exercises except for pistol squats and single leg hops that i could do at home?

btw, i've got one more question. I wrote in my first post that my right foot is slightly smaller than the left. Could it be the reason for some balance problems? My heel is locked in place on both feet and i can't slide anything down. But the skate feels kinda bigger on the smaller foot and i have slightly more side-to-side movement in it.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Thanks for all responses. :) I'ill try to do more balance exercises on my weak foot, hope it will help.

@windycity do you know any balance exercises except for pistol squats and single leg hops that i could do at home?

btw, i've got one more question. I wrote in my first post that my right foot is slightly smaller than the left. Could it be the reason for some balance problems? My heel is locked in place on both feet and i can't slide anything down. But the skate feels kinda bigger on the smaller foot and i have slightly more side-to-side movement in it.

lookup fitnessblender.com as they have some good balance stuff as well as other workouts, not hockey specific though. I also just bought a balance board - look at hockey shot.com for that.

Lastly, pretty much everybody has one foot that is slightly smaller than the other so unless your situation is more extreme I doubt that is an issue.

Andread95

May 5, 2015
sorry for the bump, but i've just managed to do my first proper turn to the right!
here are some drills that have helped me out, maybe someone is experiencing the same problem:

- skating on just one leg
- skating with one skate ahead of the other in a straight line
- forward swizzles but using the outside edges
- lots of squats!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad