Pro Tip: If the opposition knocks your net off pull the goalie!

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
There is no way for the Rangers to get a goal, the Leafs goalie should have gone to the bench for an extra forward.

This rule needs to change. Maybe make it if this happens the faceoff is in the opposition end

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Moore's momentum carried him into the net. He obviously did not take the net off on purpose. There should not have been a penalty on that play.

It shouldn't matter in the same way that an errant deflection with some stick movement frequently results in a delay of game.

If a player, completely unassisted by the opposition, runs into their own net then it should be an automatic delay of game. It's not reasonable to expect officials to read minds, it should come down to an expectation of control to determine intent much in the same way that errantly swinging your stick around your body can be judged as intent to injure if it hits an opponent.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
It shouldn't matter in the same way that an errant deflection with some stick movement frequently results in a delay of game. If a player, completely unassisted by the opposition, runs into their own net then it should be an automatic delay of game because intent cannot reasonably be determined when players are moving at such a high speed.

That's not how the rule works at all. The ref has to deem it as intentional.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why not just blow the whistle instead?
The whistle is only blown when the team who knocked the net off gets possession of the puck. Since Toronto had possession after it got knocked off they were skating towards the Rangers end and the ref didn't want to take away a possible scoring chance.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The whistle is only blown when the team who knocked the net off gets possession of the puck. Since Toronto had possession after it got knocked off they were skating towards the Rangers end and the ref didn't want to take away a possible scoring chance.
I know what the rule is but The whistle should be blown regardless of who has possession.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know what the rule is but The whistle should be blown regardless of who has possession.
Not unless it wipes out a scoring chance going the other way. What if a breakaway resulted after the net being knocked off as an example. It would be almost as bad when a goal is scored and the ref waives it off because he could not see the puck and was in the process to blow his whistle.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
But they don't do that by reading minds. There is an expectation that a player should be in control of their own body and their own equipment.

A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player who delays the game by deliberately displacing a goal post from its normal position.

The Referee shall stop play immediately when the offending team gains control of the puck. In the event that a goalpost is deliberately displaced by a defending player, prior to the puck crossing the goal line between the normal position of the goalposts, the Referee shall assess a minor penalty for delaying the game if the attacking player has not yet taken the shot or in the act of taking the shot at the open net (see 63.6).

Notice the word "deliberately".

When the net is accidentally displaced by an attacking player, and the defending side is in control of the puck and moving out of their zone, play shall be permitted to continue until such time as the nonoffending team loses control of the puck. The resulting face-off will take place at a face-off spot in the zone nearest the location where the play was stopped, unless it is in the non-offending team’s defending zone, and as such the ensuing face-off would be outside the blue line at one of the face-off spots in the neutral zone. It is possible for a goal to be scored at one end of the rink while the net at the other end has been dislodged, provided that the team being scored upon is the team responsible for dislodging the net at the other end of the rink.

Here's the part of the rule that pertains to this thread.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Notice the word "deliberately".

Here's the part of the rule that pertains to this thread.

And the problem is in determining what deliberate means which as far as I'm aware comes down to a reasonable expectation that a player was in control to the point where his actions are purely the result of his own will.

If I flail my stick around my body and hit an opposing player in the face, it's a deliberate action.

If I skate down the ice at top speed, slip and run into the goal it still was my intent because I initiated the motion and lost control without interference from another player.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
And the problem is in determining what deliberate means which as far as I'm aware comes down to a reasonable expectation that a player was in control to the point where his actions are purely the result of his own will.

If I flail my stick around my body and hit an opposing player in the face, it's a deliberate action.

If I skate down the ice at top speed, slip and run into the goal it still was my intent because I initiated the motion and lost control without interference from another player.

That's not at all how intent works regarding this rule, because the refs have never called a play like this a penalty. It's quite obvious that the word "deliberately" in this rule is referring to "intentionally" removing the net. As in, the ref has to make the judgment that the player(s) purposefully removed the net off the moorings.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
There is no way for the Rangers to get a goal, the Leafs goalie should have gone to the bench for an extra forward.

This rule needs to change. Maybe make it if this happens the faceoff is in the opposition end

There should be a two-minute penalty whenever this happens. That will also increase goal scoring.

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011
That's not at all how intent works regarding this rule, because the refs have never called a play like this a penalty. It's quite obvious that the word "deliberately" in this rule is referring to "intentionally" removing the net. As in, the ref has to make the judgment that the player(s) purposefully removed the net off the moorings.

I think he understands that. He's just trying to explain that it is very diffcult for a referee to tell if it was intentional or not. Therefore it should be an automatic 2 minute penalty if a defending player knocks off his own net without being pushed. It's the same concept as shooting the puck over the glass in your own zone. Of course this isn't intentional, but the referee can't tell this so every time it's a 2 minute penalty.

Just here to help because you're having a circular argument right now.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
A smart goalie probably would have done that instead of just standing in the crease with no net like a dumbass.

Most of the time the refs fix the net during play and let it continue. That would be a pretty dumbass move to let the refs fix the net and then have no goalie guarding the net in the 2nd period.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Not surprising that McBackup wasn't in a hurry to get himself back onto the Leafs bench.

He spends enough time there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad