Pro Tank Thread "You said that we'd be better now, better now. But you always let us down."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
I liked Gillis but it was time for change. As far as having competent people around, I have no problem with Weisbrod or anyone else on the team at this point but that will be subject to change after this year. As far as getting rid of people that challenge, I see that merely as showing strength of conviction and that’s really the only way I can see that not knowing enough about the inner dynamics of the organization.

What has John Weisbrod ever done to suggest he is competent at his job as assistant General Manager?

Certainly his role has increased after the dismissal of Linden but we never hear a peep out of him.

I believe his official duties haven't even been discussed with the public, if at all?

Read that he was somewhat involved with the amateur scouting (who isn't), its as though he's just another shoulder for ownership and Benning to pat when making final decisions. Another yes man.

Since we don't really know what Weisbrod's official duties are we can only judge his performance with that of Jim Benning, which up until this point has been nothing short of poor and extremely disappointing. And that's being rather kind IMO.

What has John Weisbrod ever done to add anything of substance besides recommending that the Canucks look at acquiring his ex pats, Granlund and Baertschi? Both have proven worthwhile but are nothing to write home about and won't be contributing to the team once its able to contend for the Stanley Cup.

Overall roster acquisitions during managements tenure have planted the team in the basement. Last overall in the NHL over the past 3 seasons. Thats damning evidence, don't see how this can instill any confidence in management. Last place is last place.

Contracts targeted and signed since the Benning and Weisbroad tandem took over have been among the leagues worst.

Linden....well Linden is no longer here and we still haven't heard a proper explanation as to why he is gone? I would assume that competent management would at least initially address the issue, take the heat head on, deal with the punches and move along.

The fact that it was handled as unprofessionally as it was is another strike against this groups ability to run a NHL team appropriately and competently.

As you mentioned we really don't know the inner dynamics within the walls of Rogers Arena but I think its fair to say that from the outside looking in, after 5 years, its hard to argue that this management group isn't among the worst in the league since they took the reigns.

I will say that this teams ability to tank while trying to dually contend is among some of the best I've ever seen.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
What has John Weisbrod ever done to suggest he is competent at his job as assistant General Manager?

Certainly his role has increased after the dismissal of Linden but we never hear a peep out of him.

I believe his official duties haven't even been discussed with the public, if at all?

Read that he was somewhat involved with the amateur scouting (who isn't), its as though he's just another shoulder for ownership and Benning to pat when making final decisions. Another yes man.

Since we don't really know what Weisbrod's official duties are we can only judge his performance with that of Jim Benning, which up until this point has been nothing short of poor and extremely disappointing. And that's being rather kind IMO.

What has John Weisbrod ever done to add anything of substance besides recommending that the Canucks look at acquiring his ex pats, Granlund and Baertschi? Both have proven worthwhile but are nothing to write home about and won't be contributing to the team once its able to contend for the Stanley Cup.

Overall roster acquisitions during managements tenure have planted the team in the basement. Last overall in the NHL over the past 3 seasons. Thats damning evidence, don't see how this can instill any confidence in management. Last place is last place.

Contracts targeted and signed since the Benning and Weisbroad tandem took over have been among the leagues worst.

Linden....well Linden is no longer here and we still haven't heard a proper explanation as to why he is gone? I would assume that competent management would at least initially address the issue, take the heat head on, deal with the punches and move along.

The fact that it was handled as unprofessionally as it was is another strike against this groups ability to run a NHL team appropriately and competently.

As you mentioned we really don't know the inner dynamics within the walls of Rogers Arena but I think its fair to say that from the outside looking in, after 5 years, its hard to argue that this management group isn't among the worst in the league since they took the reigns.

I will say that this teams ability to tank while trying to dually contend is among some of the best I've ever seen.
If you go back a couple of posts, you’ll see that I stated that I’m fine with this management looking at where we’re at now but will re-evaluate after this season. Now, I could regurgitate the countless arguments that have gone back and forth here, but what’s the point? I’m enjoying the games and the new look of the team, hope we continue to progress.
What about you? See any reason for optimism? Or is your mind made up?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If you go back a couple of posts, you’ll see that I stated that I’m fine with this management looking at where we’re at now but will re-evaluate after this season. Now, I could regurgitate the countless arguments that have gone back and forth here, but what’s the point? I’m enjoying the games and the new look of the team, hope we continue to progress.
I don't think optimism is the right word here. I definitely am enjoying that they've been in every game to this point but really its a small sample size. I think it's more just to enjoy it while it lasts. As soon as more injuries hit to any of Boeser, Horvat (with EP out), Sutter (with Beagle out), Tanev or Edler this team plummets like we expected from the start.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I don't think optimism is the right word here. I definitely am enjoying that they've been in every game to this point but really its a small sample size. I think it's more just to enjoy it while it lasts. As soon as more injuries hit to any of Boeser, Horvat (with EP out), Sutter (with Beagle out), Tanev or Edler this team plummets like we expected from the start.
I don’t know, I’m feeling more confident about our depth this year. We have some nice pieces on the farm. Our prospect pool looks better than has for awhile.

Reactions: Jimbo57

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I don’t know, I’m feeling more confident about our depth this year. We have some nice pieces on the farm. Our prospect pool looks better than has for awhile.
Up front I totally agree to an extent. Losing any winger all year outside of Boeser is realistically replaceable for injury stints. But without EP in the lineup Bo is the only true offensive centre with a track record to roll with. With both out you'd be relying on Sutter for offense and then throwing Gaudette basically to the wolves to have to sink or swim. On the blueline, we have no one to replace Edler or Tanev at all. If one's hurt that likely means that MDZ or Gudbrandson become the go to shut down guys which is a real disaster waiting to happen.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Up front I totally agree to an extent. Losing any winger all year outside of Boeser is realistically replaceable for injury stints. But without EP in the lineup Bo is the only true offensive centre with a track record to roll with. With both out you'd be relying on Sutter for offense and then throwing Gaudette basically to the wolves to have to sink or swim. On the blueline, we have no one to replace Edler or Tanev at all. If one's hurt that likely means that MDZ or Gudbrandson become the go to shut down guys which is a real disaster waiting to happen.
Take a couple of key players away from any team and it will change things. That’s where team play becomes really important imo.
I’m very hopeful that Gaudette and Juolevi become key pieces and I’m not writing off some of the other young guys we have at the farm and elsewhere.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Take a couple of key players away from any team and it will change things. That’s where team play becomes really important imo.
I’m very hopeful that Gaudette and Juolevi become key pieces and I’m not writing off some of the other young guys we have at the farm and elsewhere.
I think you're missing the point. We have bottom-middle 6 forward depth and bottom 4 defensive depth but nothing to properly cover for the top 3 forwards nor the top 2 defencemen. The good teams have generally a player that can step up when the loss of a major star is injured- we simply don't have that luxury yet. I think both Gaudette and Juolevi will be important parts of this team as well but using them immediately to cover for the 5 players I mentioned (lets exclude Sutter here) is not good for their development or the team. Look at last night, Gaudette in theory took over from EP, but his ice-time was more in line of a 4th liner for the night.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I think you're missing the point. We have bottom-middle 6 forward depth and bottom 4 defensive depth but nothing to properly cover for the top 3 forwards nor the top 2 defencemen. The good teams have generally a player that can step up when the loss of a major star is injured- we simply don't have that luxury yet. I think both Gaudette and Juolevi will be important parts of this team as well but using them immediately to cover for the 5 players I mentioned (lets exclude Sutter here) is not good for their development or the team. Look at last night, Gaudette in theory took over from EP, but his ice-time was more in line of a 4th liner for the night.
I think you’re overestimating the depth on many teams. Take the Oilers, just because it’s easy and handy. Take McDavid out and what happens? I’m sure there are many more examples if I chose to go through the league. We’re not there yet but I’m confident that we’re on the right track. It was Gaudette’s first game last night with little ice time and I didn’t think he looked out of place. We’re you expecting more?
I thought Granlund did a great job stepping up for Beagle. I was also encouraged by our defence the last couple of games.
Again, take five key players out for any length of time from most teams and watch what happy.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I think you’re overestimating the depth on many teams. Take the Oilers, just because it’s easy and handy. Take McDavid out and what happens? I’m sure there are many more examples if I chose to go through the league. We’re not there yet but I’m confident that we’re on the right track. It was Gaudette’s first game last night with little ice time and I didn’t think he looked out of place. We’re you expecting more?
I thought Granlund did a great job stepping up for Beagle. I was also encouraged by our defence the last couple of games.
Again, take five key players out for any length of time from most teams and watch what happy.
The Oil are a poor example honestly. I was more thinking along the lines of the true contenders. Like Kadri moving up if Matthews of JT go down, Penguins having Brassard as a safety net on Malkin and Sid. Nashville having 4 true guys who can play top pairing if absolutely necessary. As for Gaudette I somewhat was not in his play but in the opportunity he would get. When you think he's replacing EP I was stupidly under the impression he'd be getting at least somewhat close to his minutes. It was mentioned in the game day thread that because he was on the line with Goldy and Louie, their minutes drastically dropped last night as well.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
For me it is, I only watch the games and i don’t do tweets, facebook or pay much attention to all the media types that do the Canucks.
What about you? Got some insider stuff?

Well from the fact that he cannot speak and is doing far more bad moves then good moves I've deducted that Jim Benning is not all that smart.
From that follows a far less positive reading of the "undercurrents" of Canucks happenings.

Was just curious to find that you feel the opposite is the "only way."

Reactions: Jack Burton

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC

Actually I am pleased that the team is playing well to start the season. On board with a few of the coaching decisions on who to dress, special teams looking good thus far. His ice time distribution will bite the team in the ass though soon enough. At some point Tavev and Edler will break down and then it will be a painful juggling act with the defensive pairings as there is no depth in the system ready to step in. Again, 5 years later depth still lacking.....non existent.

When a team is able to add a potential superstar to the mix, all looks well and wonderful as Pettersson has shown in a short period of time that he is a special player and the sky is the limit for him. But one can't overlook all the mistakes and poor decisions made by this management group which won't change my opinion that this management should be replaced for the betterment of the franchise.

So yes, there has been some progression made and there are a few pieces that will be difference makers on the club moving forward.

Benning and Weisbrod as a tandem have had half a decade to figure out how to properly manage a NHL franchise.

I don't believe they've shown enough to warrant more time to fix this team as they are part of the problem not the solution.

One thing we should be able to agree on is that this team needs another lottery pick.

Kakko is looking very good, would be pretty damn happy if the Canucks could add this forward to the mix.

Tank on.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Actually I am pleased that the team is playing well to start the season. On board with a few of the coaching decisions on who to dress, special teams looking good thus far. His ice time distribution will bite the team in the ass though soon enough. At some point Tavev and Edler will break down and then it will be a painful juggling act with the defensive pairings as there is no depth in the system ready to step in. Again, 5 years later depth still lacking.....non existent.

When a team is able to add a potential superstar to the mix, all looks well and wonderful as Pettersson has shown in a short period of time that he is a special player and the sky is the limit for him. But one can't overlook all the mistakes and poor decisions made by this management group which won't change my opinion that this management should be replaced for the betterment of the franchise.

So yes, there has been some progression made and there are a few pieces that will be difference makers on the club moving forward.

Benning and Weisbrod as a tandem have had half a decade to figure out how to properly manage a NHL franchise.

I don't believe they've shown enough to warrant more time to fix this team as they are part of the problem not the solution.

One thing we should be able to agree on is that this team needs another lottery pick.

Kakko is looking very good, would be pretty damn happy if the Canucks could add this forward to the mix.

Tank on.
I wish you happy tanking, I’m cheering for wins. I don’t like losing.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad