Prince of Persia lost crown

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Anyone else looking forward to this? I think this could be an under rated Gem in 2024.

I don't think It's going to get the level of attention it should because you got other stuff like FF7 Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, Paper Mario thousand year door and Stellar Blade among others coming this year.

But Prince of Persia looks really good I think we might have a gem on our hands.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Game looks really good. Sucks its on EGS and not Steam. Also sounds like you gotta make an Ubisoft account and login in there as well to play it. If it ever comes to Steam i think id give it a try.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I played the demo and its pretty good. Its just kind of long and I dont like that theres no save point in the demo as far as I saw.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm disappointed that the return to 2D wasn't accompanied by a return to the classic 2D gameplay, but not surprised. It looks inspired by other recent games more than its own legacy, but I get it. It was made for younger gamers, not those of us who remember and love the originals.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I feel kinda bad because i bitch and moan at Ubisoft endlessly for making the same 3 games with just a different coat of paint. (Far Cry, Assassin's Creed and then taking one of those IPs and giving it a new coat of paint) So they do with this and my first reaction is to go "nope, still not buying it, i'll just play it on Ubisoft+." Which i guess still isn't bad since they get some money?

About 4 hours in and i have to say it's legitimately great. Ubi essentially stole a bunch of stuff from other Metroidvanias, combined them and in a lot of regards made it better. The mobility as somebody mentioned feels heavily inspired by Dread, but the devs chose to use pretty much all of that as tools for combat as well. The slide you can do can be used as a launcher to do do air combos, the air dash upgrade you get can be used to extend them, etc etc.

The other thing i'm a huge fan is the memory shard system. Metroidvanias in recent history have gotten better at making the game more accessible. Mostly in the sense of the map and allowing you to mark rooms as a reminder to go back later when you have the right tool/set of tools to properly explore it. Prince of Persia takes this a step further with memory shards, Shortly after starting the game you'll be granted this. What it does is by hitting down on the d-pad, the thing will take a snapshot of the screen as it is currently along with marking it on the map. Essentially it acts as a way to get around the whole "wait, why did i put a marker here?" problem most people tend to run into. These are accessibility tools i can get behind as even for someone who has played a ton of this subgenre. That being said they are not infinite as you only get a dozen to start and then any upgrades you happen to stumble on. Once you use them all you have to delete old ones too.

combat is surprisingly engaging too even though it's the basic parry/super parry/unavoidable attack loop and i would argue it's tougher than shit like Dread since enemies can and will delete almost your entire healthbar if you miss a parry or mistime a dodge.

Definitely recommend if you're into Metroidvanias or are looking for something a little more engaging/stimulating

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I bought it. So far I really like it, my only complaint is a lack of challenge. But Im only a couple hours in, so there’s plenty of time for them to amp up the difficulty or add unique challenges off the beaten path.

Reactions: Andrei79

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I bought it. So far I really like it, my only complaint is a lack of challenge. But Im only a couple hours in, so there’s plenty of time for them to amp up the difficulty or add unique challenges off the beaten path.

Well, you can scratch the ‘no challenge’ complaint. :laugh:

This game gets downright MEAN in the best way, teaching you all sorts of abilities, then demanding you figure out how to combine them for success. Bosses have gone from push-overs to multi-phase bastards that require old-school patter memorization. And they added these Xerxes tokens for you to find, which are basically ‘oh, you think you’re cool, huh’ extra challenges.

I think Im about half way through. Short of a catastrophic back half, I think its a good bet this will land in my 2024 top ten. What a great start to the year!

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm right on the fence and hesitating to pull the trigger, despite initial interest, personally. I dunno, something about it just feels a little soulless and lacking in identity to me at the moment (Ubisoft being behind it doesn't help). Maybe unfair, but the general vibe feels less love-letter and more "people seem to eat this kind of thing up, let's do it too" to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad