Primeau or montambault?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Too soon to tell but i'd go with Primeau. Monteambeault will be 28 next season. Even if he is the real deal it will probably be short lived. Primeau will be 25 he has more time left. If he flops we have other guys in the pipeline.
We can get an established player at tdl next year for Montembault. His value will be as high as Monahan was.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I’ll take the qualitative over the quantitative 10/10 myself.

Sure if you’re such a hard line quantitative reasoning person, I’d imagine this would bore you.

For me, the lack of evidence makes it more interesting. I don’t see how ‘lack of sufficient evidence’ would correlate to an uninteresting hypothetical so directly. Just as I wouldn’t see a surfeit of evidence making said hypothetical MORE interesting. For example, a Price or Theodore hypothetical would be far less interesting than this one.

I agree with the Price/Theodore example as there is a clear correct answer. The issue with the question posed in this thread is that everyone's answer is entirely meaningless as this exercise will only illicit replies that will separate those who prefer recency bias over larger bodies of work and vice versa. Goaltending progression/development is virtually impossible to predict therefore all decisions are based entirely on the two criteria that I laid out. I find that to be thoroughly uninteresting and am probably wasting too much time even explaining this lol.

This thread is pandering to recency bias not unlike most social media hot take spam.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
We can get an established player at tdl next year for Montembault. His value will be as high as Monahan was.

Goalies generally command limited returns in trades and Montembault with zero playoff experience and a short resume as a starter on a bad team will absolutely be worth less than a late first round pick.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I like Primeau more than Monty, but no sane GM, if they had to pick right now, would pick Primeau. Not even I.

I think it would be insane to give the #1 job to a guy like Primeau right now. He is in a perfect spot rn with Monty being the number 1, but both of them getting a good split of games.

We have the luxury of having good goalies again. We can simply enjoy the ride.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Goalies generally command limited returns in trades and Montembault with and a short resume as a starter on a bad team will absolutely be worth less than a late first round pick.
But Montembault is a better goalie than many starters playing for much better teams, despite not much experience and zero playoff experience. Scouts watch his technique and character, I think he now have a name in nhl but I could be wrong.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Gun to my head I think I'm taking montembeault. Perfect stop gap at the least while our goalie prospects cook. And best case he continues to get better.

Montembeault is the safer pick, but primeau I see a higher ceiling....would sting to lose him. Thank God this is all hypothetical

Reactions: HabsQC

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I agree with the Price/Theodore example as there is a clear correct answer. The issue with the question posed in this thread is that everyone's answer is entirely meaningless as this exercise will only illicit replies that will separate those who prefer recency bias over larger bodies of work and vice versa. Goaltending progression/development is virtually impossible to predict therefore all decisions are based entirely on the two criteria that I laid out. I find that to be thoroughly uninteresting and am probably wasting too much time even explaining this lol.

This thread is pandering to recency bias not unlike most social media hot take spam.
Well lol I don't know but this is the most cynical reading you could give a pretty innocuous question such as this. It's as meaningless as any other thread on here. It's a hockey forum.
Why not indulge in some fun speculation? You're acting like there's serious consequences here with this indulgence in decadent frivolity lol.

Claiming recency bias as if it inexorably invalidates this hypothetical again is just needlessly cynical. If Primeau was more proven than the hypothetical is less fun as it's an easier decision to make. I'm sure the OP is aware of Primeau's relatively small body of work.

You're gambling on Primeau's pedigree--his former status as one of the better goalie prospects around a few years ago along with his youth. Again, the reasons that you're stating this thread to be so distasteful are ironically what makes the hypothetical so interesting.

This is what hockey boards should have more of and less browbeating imo. It's supposed to be fun lol.

Reactions: Shabs and HabsQC

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
But Montembault is a better goalie than many starters playing for much better teams, despite not much experience and zero playoff experience. Scouts watch his technique and character, I think he now have a name in nhl but I could be wrong.

I like him as well but when you step back and look at it from an outside perspective there is no team that would pay a 1st round pick for him. I think he is viewed as a back up goalie playing starter minutes by default and his value would be closer to reflecting that assessment. I think he is better than that as well but when negotiating goalie trades it is just very difficult to get fair value for them as they are often better than the return that they command, especially without the underlying stats and experience/accomplishments that playoff teams are looking for.

There is a good chance imo that he would be able to change that outlook on a better team but his numbers and and overall body of work just wouldn't give Hughes any leverage.

I am very happy with our goaltending situation as I think that Monty and Primeau could potentially be a high end tandem for the next few years with Dobes as a legitimate option in case of injuries and Fowler continuing to develop in college then later in Laval. Volohkin and Miller are also wild cards who could make some noise as well.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Both are ideally stopgaps, when ideally one of our promising youngsters pan out.

Ideally.

And yeah, I focus on ideally, cause I hope we don't build forward with Montembault/Primeau in mind.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
His value rise from year to year. Next year he'll be better. To what degree I don't know, his progression suggest he'll have better stats next year.
Maybe. In that case if he improves into a solid starter, do we really want to trade him? Solid #1 goalie can be hard to find.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Too early.
Agreed.........no need to get ahead of ourselves.
I like the idea of both pushing each other kinda like the Bruins have in their 1A 1B type tandem.
At this point................we do not have to choose.

I really like both goaltenders on the team.
Sam has been steady for the habs during a tough time, and Primeau now seems to have some confidence, and his work behind the scenes with the goalie coach are really coming thorugh.

This...........is a pleasant problem guys.
Now, can we get some more scoring!!

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Primeau has the highest ceiling. When he’s on, I feel like Price is still gk’ing. It’s all about finding that consistency for him.

That said, I apologize to Motormouth, I wasn’t familiar with his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad