Post-Game Talk: Primeau loses his shutout with a minute left.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Celebrini, Lindstrom, Eiserman, Demidov, Iginla, Catton, Helenius, one of these will surely be available where Habs select when you consider teams ahead will select defensemen. So a quality forward will be available.

So watching the Habs not fold their tent makes it fun and gives you a glimpse into what this team could be when they add some more skill.

I also want to note that the Sens won, so they remain ahead of the Habs. So a win without moving up the standings serves both the pro tank and those not obsessed with that.
Who are we kidding? We're definitely taking another defenseman, because we love to suck offensively.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
After 72 games last year, Habs had 62 pts and played .431 hockey.

After 72 games this year, Habs have 68 pts and have played .472 hockey.

Not a big jump, but a jump nonetheless. And a lot of 1-goal games. So add some skill, keep that fight and this team will progress even more.
And without Dach, without Dvorak, without Monahan in the last 20+ games...

after some moves this summer, i feel we're gonna like that team on the ice.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Not to mention for 3 months, we were missing Newhook, as well.
True true. He too needs the reps to find his game. That backcheck on the 2 on 1 tonight displayed his impressive speed. He's playing well lately, i hope he hits the ground running next year.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Bull Shit.
This game would have been ugly without Xhekaj.
Harris and Struble were a lot worse than Arber and David.
Yea it probably would, he was physical for sure, but that doesn't change the fact that he had a lot of miscues defensively, especially in the third. I'm not here trying to put one player vs the other like some do, I just call it like I see it. I want Xhekaj to succeed as much as any other fan, which is one of the reasons why I pay more attention to him when he's on the ice. He brings something this team needs, I get that, but he still has to get a lot better in the Dzone.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    770.1 KB · Views: 2

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yea it probably would, he was physical for sure, but that doesn't change the fact that he had a lot of miscues defensively, especially in the third. I'm not here trying to put one player vs the other like some do, I just call it like I see it. I want Xhekaj to succeed as much as any other fan, which is one of the reasons why I pay more attention to him when he's on the ice. He brings something this team needs, I get that, but he still has to get a lot better in the Dzone.
Yeah you are magnifying mistakes that happen to all Kids.
His net play was far more on the positive side of the meter.
His coached summed up his game very well.
He's still learning how to play on the edge.
Most of the mistakes came as the team sat back.
It would have been nice if the forward group could have helped relieve the pressure.
We wouldn't even be mentioning his errors.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Matheson on the PP frustrates me. But overall, I'm happy with him. He has his deficiencies, but if a defenseman puts up 51 pts on the season, I could live with his flaws.
Some gets overly frustrated with him and with good reasons at times but let's just remember that Karlson also is taking risks and making defensive blunders. Matheson is not Karlson but high points def have to take risks and will make us whine. Though, 50+ points for a D with that much mobility at that price... meh, just find him a partner that completes him, like a right handed Markov or a 27 year old Savard...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wonder what is holding Marty back from playing Slaf with Suzuki as a duo when the opportunity arises.
Maybe they don't want to affect Caufield's MoJo more than it already is.
Hartley and Brunet both think it's inevitable. Slafkovsky has become the shoulder our Captain can lean on.
They don't see Caufield as the right fit for them once we start pushing as a winning team.
Been saying that for a while now.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Thought that was a fun game. Primeau played well again. We have 2 pretty great goalies.

Love how tough our D is. Struble & Xhekaj in particular are not fun to play against. Montreal definitely frustrated the Flyers.

Suzuki hit 30 goals. Slafkovsky extended his point streak to 9 games. Both good things. Kids are playing well & with confidence. 3rd was a bit dicey, but they showed a lot of fight.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I wonder what is holding Marty back from playing Slaf with Suzuki as a duo when the opportunity arises.
Maybe they don't want to affect Caufield's MoJo more than it already is.
Hartley and Brunet both think it's inevitable. Slafkovsky has become the shoulder our Captain can lean on.
They don't see Caufield as the right fit for them once we start pushing as a winning team.
Been saying that for a while now.

No, Caufield will drop back to 2nd line probably with Dach. Suzuki & Slafkovsky are both possession players who are excellent off the rush. Caufield is a rush player. He & Dach should be a great duo if Dach can stay healthy.

If we draft Lindstrom, I can see him fitting in with Suzuki & Slafkovsky.

Reactions: Rapala and jrom

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I feel that, for this line to be dominating, they'd need a Dach on the right. I know Dach should center the 2nd line but that's the type of righty we need at CC's position. Anderson lost its step or Gally lost his legs.

I believe the priority really is finding that winger, then everything would fall in place.

I think that these Caufield concerns are way overblown and that the 1st line for the most part looks just fine to me. If we can win the lottery an upgrade on Cole for the 1st that's great, but I think it's the 2nd line they're looking to fix.

Cole will look much better next season, and will be back to his old goal scoring self.

You can quote me on it.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Yeah you are magnifying mistakes that happen to all Kids.
His net play was far more on the positive side of the meter.
His coached summed up his game very well.
He's still learning how to play on the edge.
Most of the mistakes came as the team sat back.
It would have been nice if the forward group could have helped relieve the pressure.
We wouldn't even be mentioning his errors.
Maybe me paying more attention to his game is magnifying his mistakes, I'll give you that. I really do want him to do well though because I know there'll be a lot of competition for playing time next year

Reactions: Runner77 and Rapala

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Matheson is racking up the points, better try to trade him to a GM that doesn’t pay attention at his -26 while the next closest D is Guhle at -9….

Reactions: Redux91

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think that these Caufield concerns are way overblown and that the 1st line for the most part looks just fine to me. If we can win the lottery an upgrade on Cole for the 1st that's great, but I think it's the 2nd line they're looking to fix.

Cole will look much better next season, and will be back to his old goal scoring self.

You can quote me on it.
The point is that left wing will require a role player. A role Cole will never be able to fill.
I'm not the one who will be questioning Hartley and Brunet's understanding of what it will take.

Maybe Gaston's though. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad