Prime: Patrick Kane or Stamkos

Better prime: Stamkos or Kane

• Total voters

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
They both have four finishes in the top 10 for points.

Comparing the seasons in which they finished in the top 10 for points, I'd say Kane's best season was better, but Stamkos' top four seasons are equal or close to equal to Kane's best four in terms of offensive output, with goal scoring favoring Steve. However, Kane had worse support in his best four seasons than Stamkos had in his. Therefore, I'd give the advantage in each player's best four seasons to Kane.

Edit: Then again, Stamkos has a major advantage in the goal scoring department and probably played less sheltered minutes.

It's a tough call, but I'll give the edge to Kane based on his peak.

Last edited:
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They're pretty close. Stamkos from '09-10 to '13 led the league in goals and points, was 1st in GPG and 3rd in PPG after Crosby and Malkin, was a Hart runner up, 2 time Richard winner, and had point finishes of 2nd, 2nd, 5th and 5th and PPG finishes of 3rd, 3rd, 6th and 7th.

Kane from '13 to '16-'17 was 2nd in points to Crosby, tied for 3rd in goals with Crosby and behind Ovechkin and Pavelski, 3rd in GPG behind Ovechkin and Stamkos and 3rd in PPG behind Crosby and McDavid. He won the Art Ross, Hart, Pearson and Smythe, finished 1st, 2nd and 5th in points and 1st, 4th, 4th and 5th in PPG.

Stamkos was healthier and the better goalscorer, but Kane had less help and was the better play driver. Stamkos was better defensively and a center, but not a notable defensive player and if anything Kane brought more of a centers game to the offense. Kane's peak season was probably better, dominating the Art Ross race, but 60 goals is arguably more impressive historically.

I might give Stamkos the slight edge in the regular season in terms of impact, simply for health, but overall I think they were a wash per game. The separator is the playoffs, where Kane has been one of the best performers of this era, sitting 3rd in points, 5th in goals and 6th in PPG among those with at least 50 games, while Stamkos has largely been a disappointment with only 35 points in 49 games.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Never been a real big fan of stammer. Always thought of him as more of a post 2013 ovi type player rather than someone who really controls and dictates the play. He's the second best goal scorer of this generation though so I guess it depends on what you want out of a player

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not really sure how anyone votes Stamkos here considering Kane clearly has the best peak season and has been far more dominant in the playoffs.

Treent1

Jun 5, 2017
Stamkos has had Art Ross level players on his line throughout his career. Kane has done more with less

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad