Prime Messier vs Prime Malkin: Who do you take for a cup run?

Who do you take on your team for a cup run?

• Total voters

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If we're in an NHL that prime Messier is able to do what he was allowed to do in his prime, Messier and it isn't even close. (So I voted for him.)
But if we're comparing them under the constraints that they're both in their prime in the 2021 NHL Meta.... Malkin and it isn't even close.

deathb4disco

Oct 19, 2010
Flowery Branch GA
Anyone who say Malkin never saw Messier play or has something against Moose personally. He would single handedly beat teams. Drop the gloves, hit someone with a crushing check or score a goal he could do it all without being injured 1/2 year every year.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Chance are good that no one in history would have outscored Gretzky in 4 of those.

In is 2 non Gretzky cup, he was tie with 31 points in 22 games in 1990 (Simpsons winning with the most goals tie breaker) and in 1994 he was second with 30 points in 23 games behind one of the best playoff run of all time in Leetch.

Run like 34 points loosing to Gretzky 43 points is the equivalent of leading the playoff in some other years.

Healthy prime Malkin is hard to pass on.
There's only goal tie breakers for the art ross

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Anyone who say Malkin never saw Messier play or has something against Moose personally. He would single handedly beat teams. Drop the gloves, hit someone with a crushing check or score a goal he could do it all without being injured 1/2 year every year.

Except that Messier's physical game would be completely neutered in Geno's era, and outside of that Malkin is the more talented hockey player. On the flip side; if guys like Gretzky, Kurri, Lemieux, Dionne, Bure, Jagr, Fedorov etc.. could survive the 80s/90s, I'm sure Malkin would've been fine.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Messier only has 1 Conn Smythe, and has never led the playoffs in scoring. Based on his reputation as a monster playoff performer/leader, I was expecting more; especially with 6 Cup wins. But my memory of him is probably a bit inflated due to his legend,
Even the 2 Cups where he was clearly head honcho (without Gretzky) in 90 and 94, the Smythe went to other players.

Gotta go with Malkin here if talking about absolute peak performance.
Don't put too much stock in Conn Smythes. Crosby has 2 and only deserved one. It's often a popularity vote.
Messier was a playoff beast. You take him over Malkin 100% of the time.

Reactions: Voight

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Replace Malkin with Messier in 2009 and the Pens don't win the Cup.

That was easy.

The difference here is that Messier’s contribution was about way more than scoring, even though he did that too. Quite possibly the greatest leader the game has ever seen. His competitiveness and determination were infectious. Even when Mike Keenan was doing everything he could to piss off his players. Those are things you can’t see on a stat sheet. I know this site is anti-intangibles, but those things matter in hockey more than any sport. Malkin is a great player, but he’s no Mark Messier.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The difference here is that Messier’s contribution was about way more than scoring, even though he did that too. Quite possibly the greatest leader the game has ever seen. His competitiveness and determination were infectious. Even when Mike Keenan was doing everything he could to piss off his players. Those are things you can’t see on a stat sheet. I know this site is anti-intangibles, but those things matter in hockey more than any sport. Malkin is a great player, but he’s no Mark Messier.

Yeah, he would also attempt to injure the opposing star players to give his team a better chance to win.

deathb4disco

Oct 19, 2010
Flowery Branch GA
Except that Messier's physical game would be completely neutered in Geno's era, and outside of that Malkin is the more talented hockey player. On the flip side; if guys like Gretzky, Kurri, Lemieux, Dionne, Bure, Jagr, Fedorov etc.. could survive the 80s/90s, I'm sure Malkin would've been fine.
Give me a break he's not more talented at all, not a better leader, can't stay healthy and to say his physical game couldn't transfer over is absolute B.S. he would play on the edge just like Marchand and other guys of that ilk. He was not some simpleton gorilla who couldn't adjust. Guy is in the G.O.A.T. conversation Malkin doesn't even make the All star team most years.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
The Cup winning goal in game seven of '94 finals was scored by Messier. When he arrived to NY, Rangers went from 85 points to 105. After his trade it took Oilers 15 years to reach SC final again.

Reactions: deathb4disco

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
. On the flip side; if guys like Gretzky, Kurri, Lemieux, Dionne, Bure, Jagr, Fedorov etc.. could survive the 80s/90s, I'm sure Malkin would've been fine.

Jagr is one of the biggest, strongest and more durable athlete in history of hockey I feel like a bit of a strange name to list has an example that if he would survive an era X could has well.

I too find fully exaggerated how much of an issue it would have been for Messier to play without elbows or Malkin in the 80s/90s, both would have been a bit different player obviously but would have grown to be effective.

It is 2 of the best playoff player of all time here.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Tempted to say Malkin but picked Messier ultimately. It’s hard to say, because Messier proved that he could do it without Gretzky, but Malkin never had to do it without Sid.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
And drink a beer with Gary Coleman while wearing a skimp bath towel, subtly revealing his giant nuts. That’s gotta count for something. Malkin on his best day couldn’t pull this shit off.
gary-mark.jpg

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
And drink a beer with Gary Coleman while wearing a skimp bath towel, subtly revealing his giant nuts. That’s gotta count for something. Malkin on his best day couldn’t pull this shit off.
gary-mark.jpg

Not sure that photo is anything to brag about. But who knows, maybe it was a little chilly in the lockeroom.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad