Prime Jonathan Toews or Current Auston Matthews

Prime Jonathan Toews or Current Auston Matthews

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
No offense but I never understood the love for Toews? I really have never thought he was that good of a player. He might be a good leader and have good intangibles but other than that, is he really a top 100 player of all time?
ive always considered him slightly less than Kopitar and Zetterberg, a full step behind Bergeron and Datsyuk, and no better than O’Rielly/Kesler/Koivu except that he played at that level for longer than any of those three.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
No offense but I never understood the love for Toews? I really have never thought he was that good of a player. He might be a good leader and have good intangibles but other than that, is he really a top 100 player of all time?

Toews tangibles are already great, the intangibles are just icing on the cake. His on-ice impact is absolutely measurable, and unquestionably elite through his 2010-2015 prime.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

There was a period in the early-to-mid 2010s where they were the only forwards with a higher QoC than Toews.

As the Red Wings depth thinned out after the 2008 and 2009 peak, Babcock just asked more and more of them, and they kept delivering.
Exactly. I am a wings fan(a little biased) but having watched datsyuk play since I was 10(2002) for the wings, I can’t think of a better player in my lifetime with what HE brought offensively and defensively.

For people that don’t realize how good datsyuk was, search up Awood40(red wing YouTuber) on YouTube and he has like 10 datsyuk compilations. There’s things I’d never seen before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
It’s really not though? The best two way forwards of Toews generation were him, Kopitar, Bergeron, and I guess Datsyuk & Zetterberg(but that was the end of their primes really). Bergeron is clearly better than Toews defensively while Kopitar is better offensively. I just don’t see how it’s debatable that Toews was at worst the 3rd best two way forward of his era.
id actually have to agree, as you can basically eliminate the Red Wing Duo due to the, being older. However, the overlap allows me to be confident that they were better than Toews. I also think Marty St. Louis was better all around from that previous half generation.

That still leaves Toews as very much near the top for close to 20 years (Forsberg, Fedorov, Sakic come into play, or even Crosby as he is pretty well rounded and really elite on one end) but i still find him overrated.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
id actually have to agree, as you can basically eliminate the Red Wing Duo due to the, being older. However, the overlap allows me to be confident that they were better than Toews. I also think Marty St. Louis was better all around from that previous half generation.

That still leaves Toews as very much near the top for close to 20 years (Forsberg, Fedorov, Sakic come into play) but i still find him overrated.
I think all the comparisons to Crosby in his prime were obviously not right and he wasn’t that level of player. But I think the fact that he was overrated so much has caused people to underrate how good he actually was in his prime.

Reactions: Dingo

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People always say "stacked team" but were they, though?

No offense to the Hawks, of course, but I don't look at those rosters and think "wow, this team unfair." I see a roster with good depth and an outstanding core. Toews was part of that outstanding core.

I always said Toews and Derek Jeter are very similar. Jeter got crucified for playing on "stacked" Yankees teams, but look at their dynasty on paper and the roster is very good but not overwhelming. The only thing that stands out is Jeter with his 9 WAR.

Toews had a bit more help with the likes of Keith and Kane but he was one of the major reasons the Hawks were good, not the other way around.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The only cup the Blackhawks may have won with a current Matthews in place of Toews at the time was the 2010 cup
There is really no justification for that claim. Even if you believe Toews was better, cups are about a lot more than one player.
The following two cups were a completely different deployment strategy.
The impacts of deployment discrepancies are wildly exaggerated, and while the on-ice unit Toews was on tended to do well, that was only partially due to Toews himself. Toews fans tend to steal the credit from the other players and give it all to him.
The ONLY reason this worked is because Toews was such a two-way possession MONSTER that could turn the best-of-the-best in the NHL to mulch in terms of possession, scoring chance share, and goal differential.
Holy exaggeration Batman. :eyeroll:
Auston Matthews has simply not demonstrated the ability to do so.
That's not really true. What he doesn't have is the same defensive insulation.
The best two way forwards of Toews generation were him, Kopitar, Bergeron, and I guess Datsyuk & Zetterberg
Best defense and best two-way are different things, and gee, sure is weird that all of these supposedly best two-way forwards played with some of the best defensemen of the generation, eh?

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Exactly. I am a wings fan(a little biased) but having watched datsyuk play since I was 10(2002) for the wings, I can’t think of a better player in my lifetime with what HE brought offensively and defensively.

For people that don’t realize how good datsyuk was, search up Awood40(red wing YouTuber) on YouTube and he has like 10 datsyuk compilations. There’s things I’d never seen before.

Hawks fan here (obviously), and even hating the Red Wings Datsyuk was my favorite player for a VERY long time. I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that Datsyuk was more talented in all three zones than Toews. And there's arguments to be made that Zetterberg was just as good as Toews, possibly better at various points in their careers.

It's just a generational thing. Datsyuk and Zetterberg (along with the Red Wings themselves) were getting older and older. While that happened Toews, Bergeron, and Kopitar took over that mantle of "Best two-way forwards" and the Hawks, Bruins, and Kings became the best teams in the league while Detroit trailed off. Doesn't mean Toews was better than Datsyuk, just that Detroit's time in the sun came to an end.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
There is really no justification for that claim. Even if you believe Toews was better, cups are about a lot more than one player.

"One player" is disingenuous to say. Having a different 1C and captain of your team would make a major difference on most teams. Especially when their playstyles are so different.

The impacts of deployment discrepancies are wildly exaggerated, and while the on-ice unit Toews was on tended to do well, that was only partially due to Toews himself. Toews fans tend to steal the credit from the other players and give it all to him

"Tended to do well" :laugh:

As far as Toews and his credit, again he was the 1C of a 3x Cup winner. 1C is almost unanimously the most important position in hockey, which is why they're so coveted in drafts and so hard to obtain. The rest of what you're alluding to is a very old argument that Hawks fans have spent a lot of time arguing against. Yes there were other great players on those Cup-winning rosters, but that doesn't invalidate the individual contributions made by those great players.

Holy exaggeration Batman

Citation needed

That's not really true. What he doesn't have is the same defensive insulation.

You really feel that with different deployment Matthews would be close to as effective as Toews was?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

So essentially you're suggesting that no individual player can impact whether or not his team wins the Cup? Swap in Matt Duchene for Sidney Crosby and the Pens still win those Cups since it's the 19 other players around him and not Crosby's performance in the 1C spot that contributed to winning?

Sure, one player can't be credited with winning a Cup all by his lonesome. But at the same time, to suggest that you can plug-and-play any top line center (or top line winger or top pairing defenseman) into the same role and the result would be the exact same seems dubious.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Having a different 1C and captain of your team would make a major difference on most teams.
Not when you're replacing them with a similar quality player. To suggest that Chicago would not have cups with that swap is essentially suggesting that Chicago barely deserved to win any of their cups...
Yes there were other great players on those Cup-winning rosters, but that doesn't invalidate the individual contributions made by those great players.
I'm not invalidating individual contributions. I'm just recognizing the individual contributions of players besides Toews on that team. You seem to want to give all of the credit for everything to Toews, and hyperbolize his contributions, while dismissing the impact of others on his on-ice results, especially defensively.
So essentially you're suggesting that no individual player can impact whether or not his team wins the Cup? Swap in Matt Duchene for Sidney Crosby and the Pens still win those Cups since it's the 19 other players around him and not Crosby's performance in the 1C spot that contributed to winning?
That's not what I said. We're talking about similar quality players here. We're not talking about the difference between Crosby and Duchene. Crosby is better than Toews, and Matthews is better than Duchene.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not when you're replacing them with a similar quality player. To suggest that Chicago would not have cups with that swap is essentially suggesting that Chicago barely deserved to win any of their cups...
I know Toews had a disappointing Finals stats wise in 2010 against Philadelphia, however he did win the Conn Smythe for everything he did in the first three rounds. So obviously his impact was a huge reason why Chicago got that far.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I've always thought Toews was overrated and always second, third, or fourth in importance depending on the year.
I'd pick Matthews.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I've always thought Toews was overrated and always second, third, or fourth in importance depending on the year.
I'd pick Matthews.
So what you're seeing here is that Keith, Kane, and Hossa as well as Toews are all better than Matthews. Got it!

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They all are though... Its not really up for debate.
In 2008-2012 though, it is. Because there is a thread then about Kane vs Toews that Toews handily won. And thats the prime Toews era this is talking about though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In 2008-2012 though, it is. Because there is a thread then about Kane vs Toews that Toews handily won. And thats the prime Toews era this is talking about though.
Im talking about Matthews, all four of those guys had much greater on-ice value in their prime (Kane still does to this day.) I also never agreed that Toews was the best player on those teams, IMO he's #3 or 4 with Hossa, Id probably pick Toews just because he's a C and seems to be a "better" leader.

Keith is the best defender of the 2010s and Kane is the best american ever, Matthews has a long way before he surpasses that. Theres only McDavid, Sid, Malkin and Ovi that 100% topped those two in the NHL atm.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So what you're seeing here is that Keith, Kane, and Hossa as well as Toews are all better than Matthews. Got it!
Besides being elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame and having a 100 point season in 06-07, during his career Hossa never won any major individual awards and that's something Matthews can still add to his resume.

It's harder to compare Matthews to Keith since one plays Forward and the other plays Defense.

Today when you look at his major accomplishments it's fair to say that Kane is better than Matthews.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Besides being elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame and having a 100 point season in 06-07, during his career Hossa never won any major individual awards and that's something Matthews can still add to his resume.

It's harder to compare Matthews to Keith since one plays Forward and the other plays Defense.

Today when you look at his major accomplishments it's fair to say that Kane is better than Matthews.

Relative to his peers, Keith at his best is a level Matthews hasn't reached. He was legitimately a top 2, top 3 defenseman for quite a few numbers of his prime years, including twice winning the Norris and once winning the Smythe.

Unless/until Matthews starts winning some Harts/Smythes/Art Rosses, it'll be hard for him to be on level with Keith in his prime.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Relative to his peers, Keith at his best is a level Matthews hasn't reached. He was legitimately a top 2, top 3 defenseman for quite a few numbers of his prime years, including twice winning the Norris and once winning the Smythe.

Unless/until Matthews starts winning some Harts/Smythes/Art Rosses, it'll be hard for him to be on level with Keith in his prime.
What if Matthews wins at least 2-3 Rocket Richard Trophy's, does he still need to win at least 1 Hart or Art Ross to be in the conservation compared to the career Keith had?

Him also winning the Conn Smythe would be a bonus, although in that situation just seeing him get a Cup with Toronto would be good enough.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
A lot of people think Toews is overrated, but I think he is now underrated. The truth is, you can't find that many #1 centers who are good offensively, good defensively, and have solid leadership skills. A lot of centers are better offensively but lack on defense, and the teams that win cups (hawks, kings, bruins, and blues) usually have that center that can play in all situations. I'll take Toews confidently over Matthews.

Reactions: EXTRAS

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Auston is a better offensive player than Jonathan Toews was ever in his career but Toews had a peak where he was playing stellar defensively while his team was winning cups. He has all the skills in the world and he could've easily been a top-flight offensive player but he knew that his contributions to his team success were going to cost him offensive numbers and while he still had a front and center role (pun intended) on their cup winning teams, he was responsible for doing a ton of under-appreciated dirty work that didn't always catch the eye of the casual fan. It was kind of hilarious reading for years how Toews was one of the most overrated players in the league on these same boards that is now clamoring about how overrated Matthews is. In reality, neither guys are overrated and are worth their weight in the hype/ praise they've been receiving. Hf just loves to hate the Leafs and was quite jealous of the success of the Hawks teams in those times.

Right now, I take prime JT19 over Auston because Auston hasn't won anything. If he can channel his inner Toews defensively and leadership wise, with the natural abilities and offensive talents he possesses, Auston Matthews would be the best player in the league by a decent margin. Scary part for the haters is that Auston last season showed us that he has it within him to play a consistent 200 foot game and he has the ability to be a rock-solid defensive forward who can put up 50 goals 100 points and still be a contender for the Selke. Last year he was the 13th best forward in defensive point shares. For as much hype as a guy like Elias Pettersson gets, Matthews actually puts up the same defensive numbers while destroying him offensively. Yet, one guy is up and coming star player while the other one gets consistently demolished in every HF poll because of "reasons".

Nobody on hfboards actually realizes this. Pun intended.

Reactions: nobody

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad