Proposal: Price to Ottawa

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
As a Habs fan, i would agree with :

Ryan, Anderson, Pageau, Brown/White, 2020 1st
no way the sens do that. they take on his enormous contract and only get rid of 2 cap casualties in the process along with a good 3C and solid futures. they'd need those futures if they are rebuilding and no way they'd be interested in price at his contract

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
no way the sens do that. they take on his enormous contract and only get rid of 2 cap casualties in the process along with a good 3C and solid futures. they'd need those futures if they are rebuilding and no way they'd be interested in price at his contract

If you think Price is getting trade only for cap dumps...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Then why are you replying to me instead of the OP?? I mean it's been made by a Sens fans.
i'm responding to you because you were the one that said "i'd be fine with anderson, ryan 2020 1st, brown/white" or whatever it was. sens wouldn't and shouldn't do that. also the op never offered a top prospect and a 1st

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
i'm responding to you because you were the one that said "i'd be fine with anderson, ryan 2020 1st, brown/white" or whatever it was. sens wouldn't and shouldn't do that. also the op never offered a top prospect and a 1st

Nevermind

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Are you talking about the OP or another offer made in the thread? IMO the OP is exactly what Melnyk needs, but I can understand why Montreal would not want to do it.

OPs. And I doubt very much Melnyk wants a bonus-laden, buyout-proof contract coming back, even with the terrible contracts going the other way.

OPs offer is definitely worse for Montreal though, its legitimately awful for them.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
OPs. And I doubt very much Melnyk wants a bonus-laden, buyout-proof contract coming back, even with the terrible contracts going the other way.

OPs offer is definitely worse for Montreal though, its legitimately awful for them.

Habs basically receive a mid 2nd round pick in exchange for top goaltender play. That is horrendous.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick

I agree that its awful for Montreal, but I think that a trade similar to what I proposed is the only way Montreal can trade Prices contract without retaining. It would have to be a perfect storm of a team that never spends to the cap(Ottawa) combined with a few bad contracts and an owner desperate to win back fans and players.
If I were Montreal fans and ownership I would rather have less pieces back and long term capspace then retain 3m plus for 8 years.

Ottawa would like it because I would only cost them $21m for 8 years of price. and since the cap does not matter they could overlook the bonus and the buyout-proof contract. I am not saying its not a risk but I thin the Sens are desperate.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I agree that its awful for Montreal, but I think that a trade similar to what I proposed is the only way Montreal can trade Prices contract without retaining. It would have to be a perfect storm of a team that never spends to the cap(Ottawa) combined with a few bad contracts and an owner desperate to win back fans and players.
If I were Montreal fans and ownership I would rather have less pieces back and long term capspace then retain 3m plus for 8 years.

Ottawa would like it because I would only cost them $21m for 8 years of price. and since the cap does not matter they could overlook the bonus and the buyout-proof contract. I am not saying its not a risk but I thin the Sens are desperate.

If Price bounces back healthy next year, then in all likelihood he's moveable without serious retention for more. If he doesn't, he's a compliance buyout candidate (because there are always compliance buyouts) when either one of the NHL or NHLPA opt out in September 2019 and we have another lockout.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
the OP is just the worst trade proposal ever for Montreal.

The massive conundrum for Montreal, and Montreal fans is that Price is an all-world goalie, one who you could make an argument as a top 10 goalie in NHL history when it's all said and done, but, goalies in general have lower trade value to begin with. I mean, Mrazek was just traded for a 3rd and a 4th, and he only makes $4M.

Price is set to make more than 2.5X what Mrazek makes, and you're not going to convince anyone that he's 2.5X better than Mrazek. And that's where the question of trade value comes in.

Is Price an absolute elite talent? Obviously.

But with goalie trade values so low, and that contract kicking in, I find it damn near impossible to figure out what trade value makes sense to appease the team getting him and the Habs...and Habs fans.

I find myself landing on this: Youngish C with 2nd-3rd line ability + 1st round pick + good prospect (preferably a Centre)+ moderate cap dump ($5M range).

So from Ottawa, my offer would be: Zach Smith + 2020 1st + Chlapik + Gaborik + MacArthur (LTIR but team pays roughly $900K per year).

Flame away!

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
the OP is just the worst trade proposal ever for Montreal.

The massive conundrum for Montreal, and Montreal fans is that Price is an all-world goalie, one who you could make an argument as a top 10 goalie in NHL history when it's all said and done, but, goalies in general have lower trade value to begin with. I mean, Mrazek was just traded for a 3rd and a 4th, and he only makes $4M.

Price is set to make more than 2.5X what Mrazek makes, and you're not going to convince anyone that he's 2.5X better than Mrazek. And that's where the question of trade value comes in.

Is Price an absolute elite talent? Obviously.

But with goalie trade values so low, and that contract kicking in, I find it damn near impossible to figure out what trade value makes sense to appease the team getting him and the Habs...and Habs fans.

I find myself landing on this: Youngish C with 2nd-3rd line ability + 1st round pick + good prospect (preferably a Centre)+ moderate cap dump ($5M range).

So from Ottawa, my offer would be: Zach Smith + 2020 1st + Chlapik + Gaborik + MacArthur (LTIR but team pays roughly $900K per year).

Flame away!

Not sure how you would calculate that but Price is an immensely better goalie than Mrazek. When you have a surefire starter who you can rely on compared to an inconsistent 1B type goalie the difference in value is very high. Not sure if Mrazek is the best comparison here though, he's overpaid too and only fetched value back to Detroit because his contract is expiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad