Post-Game Talk: Price plays terribly. Habs lose again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I'm fine with Pleks and Byron starting, but ffs, when you retrieve the puck -- CHANGE!!! Do not go end to end, because there's no way you're gonna score + you're already tired. Any surprise they couldn't get back in time? Good decision to start them. Terrible decision not to change.

This is exactly how Chicago beat the Predators in OT the same night the Habs lost. Toews went off for fresh legged Saad when they gained the offensive zone and 5 seconds later it was in the back of the net. You could just see that goal happening when Saad came on.

Reactions: habtastic

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Your not calling out anybody. You are getting frustrated in the debate and making it a you vs me attack. Learn to live with others not agreeing with you.

I'm not at all frustrated with the debate. I know I'm right and I have 80% of the fan base agreeing with me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Actually, there is a very large % of NHL players taken in the 1st 3 rounds.... which equals top 100 picks. I will counter with NHL GM's trading away more 4th, 5th, 6th pics vs 1st, 2nd, 3rd picks.

Ok, 1st of all, 100 top picks doesn't work as argument for using rounds, since it includes the beginning of the 4th round.

2nd of all, your grouping rounds together. How many NHLers taken in the 1st 3 rounds were taken in the 1st round vs. others? Whats the relative value of each individual draft position.

Of course NHL GMs are more willing to part with later round picks. They're also more willing to part with late 3rd rounders than early 3rd rounders, early 3rd rounders than late 2nd rounders, etc.

That isn't an argument in favour of using 100 picks. You did research, you can share your sources.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Ok, 1st of all, 100 top picks doesn't work as argument for using rounds, since it includes the beginning of the 4th round.

2nd of all, your grouping rounds together. How many NHLers taken in the 1st 3 rounds were taken in the 1st round vs. others? Whats the relative value of each individual draft position.

Of course NHL GMs are more willing to part with later round picks. They're also more willing to part with late 3rd rounders than early 3rd rounders, early 3rd rounders than late 2nd rounders, etc.

That isn't an argument in favour of using 100 picks. You did research, you can share your sources.

But it's a round number!

And it fits my argument!

Reactions: Peanut and Aspirine

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not to mention that if we didn't have very many picks, the question should be raised as to why we didn't have so many picks whereas, say, Boston did. Boston has had 7 first round picks in the last 4 years. That is more first round picks than we have had first and second round picks combined. How did that happen? Boston traded for picks. We traded them away. They didn't forage for them in the forest like they're chanterelle mushrooms.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I'm not at all frustrated with the debate. I know I'm right and I have 80% of the fan base agreeing with me.....
....on a single Internet message board.

Meanwhile, there are thousands of Habs fans with no axe to grind who cheer for the Habs, understand that we have a lot of new faces learning to play and mesh together on a new team led by a new coach. They just don't post here.

The Habs took the omnipotent Leafs to OT. Outshot them. After the multiple predictions here of a massive blowout.

I guess the Oilers fans should be in full blown panic as well.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Not to mention that if we didn't have very many picks, the question should be raised as to why we didn't have so many picks whereas, say, Boston did. Boston has had 7 first round picks in the last 4 years. That is more first round picks than we have had first and second round picks combined. How did that happen? Boston traded for picks. We traded them away. They didn't forage for them in the forest like they're chanterelle mushrooms.
Remember when MB said he would build through the draft.............the good ol days...

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
And in the here and now called the present, the Bruins are 1 point ahead of us in the quest for the October Cup chase.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal

Meanwhile, there are thousands of Habs fans with no axe to grind who cheer for the Habs, understand that we have a lot of new faces learning to play and mesh together on a new team led by a new coach. They just don't post here.

The Habs took the omnipotent Leafs to OT. Outshot them. After the multiple predictions here of a massive blowout.

Again, you never answer the question. What is your goal? Being a Cup contender or a playoff contender? This team doesn't have the talent to win a Cup. They proved that the last three years and the additions are way not enough to bring this team to being a contender.

Also, moral victories don't exist in hockey. This team loses games because the offense can't finish. The offensive talent is not there an hasn't been there for 3-4 years now.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This is your opinion. If it was obvious, he would not be our GM anymore.
Oh yes, one of HF's classic, appeal to the authority. Because we all know the guy who needed an advisor to hire his GM, and let go of said advisor the day after, suddenly developed the good knowledge of knowing how to evaluate his GM on a hockey level.
:facepalm:
Molson is tied to Bergevin for millions, if he fires him, he still owes him a lump of cash. Meanwhile, the team is still profitable, Molson can still raise money on ticket costs, even if we don't make the POs, Molson makes money. So, why would he fire him? Is it actually in his best financial interest to do so?
Molson is a business man, firing his GM doesn't guarantee him the slightest thing other than he will now have to pay a fired coach, a fired GM, this new coach, and a new GM. To make it even worse, if the new GM comes in and wants to replace a bunch of other employees, Molson might have to dish out even more money according to their contracts.
So no, it isn't that simple. I think you watched too many "the apprentice" shows...:sarcasm"
He has made mistakes and this was not the off season he or any Habs fans expected for sure! However, he has not mortgage our future and most are looking past this. We are more than a Duchene or Radulov away from competing for a cup so I think this needs to be a focus of conversation. Patience vs Desperate Moves

- Desperate moves (1st, 2nd for Hanzal) = No Poehling & Ikonen or Brook

- Desperate moves (2 years of Duchene) = No Sergachev or Drouin for 6 years at $5.5M

- We can attack our GM for failed attempts at addressing the holes in our line-up (top 2 center), losing Radulov, and trading PK for Weber but he refuses to mortgage the future. The types of moves we want him to make are not on the table for us when you look at circumstances. If Bergevin gives in to the fan base demands of making desperate moves, I then agree with you that he has caved and he will be incompetent at his job.

Oh..he hasn't mortgage our future. Well then, whooptidoo! He hasn't completely destroyed this team and its future! Boy are we lucky to have such brilliance at the helm! :facepalm:

Patience? You are not showcasing patience, you are just stupidly waiting. It has been 6 years, the team has big holes and we are far from contending. This was not the plan. You are being patient for what exactly? For who? For Bergevin to surprise you and magically pull a rabbit out of his ass? Actually, make that 2 rabbits.
Why exactly should I trust this to happen when he has made the team worse since 2014.
We were contenders in 2014 with the addition of Vanek, and over the next 4 summers, he completely missed his opportunities to keep us at that level.
Don't talk to me about him not having the tools to make the moves he wanted, it is a ridiculous cop out. He could have traded the 3rd overall if he wanted. He could have traded Patches, Plekanec, Markov, Gallagher, Price, he traded Subban, he could have packed a bunch of them with draft picks. This idea that he had nothing to trade is pure BS. Would those moves have worked better for us? No way of knowing. But do not tell me he he could not make moves in 6 seasons.

As I said, it is pretty obvious you are looking at this from a wishful thinking point. Oh..poor Bergey, he didn't have anything to trade..we need to give him more time and patience, he's a good guy, after he didn't mortgage our future! Please. Drop the crap arguments and just be the blind fan that you are, it's okay.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Biggest Price fan here but he needs and is better then what we have seen.

Also, those who think Plekanec can bounce back to 50+ points are to me out to lunch, not going to happen and he will not score you more then 15.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

You are right, those great fans are filling the Bell Center every game.....oh, wait.......nevermind.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
well going by this article.....i guess we should get a consolation prize for taking the #1 team to overtime.....

http://www.tsn.ca/turning-over-a-new-leaf-in-7-eleven-power-rankings-1.885880

times have changed......we have officially swapped places with the leafs.....might as well get used to it

Good times ahead.... we are only going to get wors.....** puts on Pro-Bergy Glasses** BETTER!!!

Our D core is better then last year!!! Trades are Hard but that Capspace will be for Johnny T and Marc will show you all how little you know.

HOW dare you insult our great GM? Only he knows everything and he has a tough job anyways. DO you know how hard it is to build a winning team? You need to be smart, build via the Draft!!!

Did you guys see how great Benn looked? He is clearly an upgrade of Alexi and Nathan, good job protecting that asset.
We almost beat the #1 ranked leafs and we are 26!!! Amazing! If I believed in windows and #1 centers I'd say we are well on our way to the STAND-LEE cup !! Just need to trade that cancerous Alex G for a solid #2 center and don't worry that capspace , we can sign many more 3rd and 4th liners. I mean that is where we need the most help anyways!

GO habs go!

**takes off glasses and looks at habs**
looks like crap.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Simple formula:

What Bergevin does -----> CAPITALIZING on circumstances

What Bergevin doesn't do -----> Patiently awaiting circumstances on which to CAPITALIZE

Shameless self-quoting, but I'm honestly curious to see if the people this post is meant to criticize can actually spot what's wrong with the reasoning here. Like, why do the rest of us find this funny?

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Am I critical? Yes I am and I'll tell you why. I live and breathe the Habs but for the past couple of decades, this franchise has been content in making the playoffs and nothing more. How many times in recent memory have we heard our coach/GM come out in September and say ''our goal is to make the playoffs and then anything can happen''? This franchise should thrive for more than that and if you tell your players that making the playoffs is enough, then come playoff time they'll know no one expects them to win but lets have a fun ride in May!

For the past 25 years this franchise has been mediocre, including the last six with our current management. The current core has proven for the past few years to not be capable of winning. After a great run in 2014, we had lost in the second round, had the worst collapse in franchise history and lost in six games in the first round scoring less than 2 GPG. What has our GM done to address the shortcomings? Acquired Drouin, which is great, but lost arguably our second best forward to free agency and our #1 LD without replacing him. This team is slower and not better offensively, which is very concercing. When the league trend is to get younger and faster and more skilled, our GM goes out and gets more grit (King, Ott) and slower on the market (Alzner). Where's the vision? Is it throwing crap on the wall and hoping something sticks? IF by some miracle he figures out and gets us an elite forward, our core might be way past their prime by then. You could already see Pacioretty slowing down big time compared to 2-3 years ago. The prospect pool is just not good, we have nice pieces but compared to the rest of the league, it's just not good enough. Our first round picks from the Bergevin era, only Galchenyuk (3rd overall) is a regular. Scherback, Juulsen (he should make it soon), McCarron, Sergachev (traded) are not currently with the big club. We can decide to be patient, but do any of those guys scream blue chip to you? When Bergevin came to this job in May 2012, he said the main focus was to build from the draft, but he didn't do a good job of it and the development is severly lacking and still keeps a terrible AHL coach employed after 5 years of disappointment.

At some point, there needs to be accountability and that starts with Bergevin.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Again, we may be getting lots of shots, but please remind me of the time Anderson had to make a difficult save.

Price made one mistake -- the third goal. He thought it was under him, but it squeaked out. Alzner had plenty of time to clear it. Anyway, the Matthews' goals were both lazers and both with a bobbling puck. They were impossible to read, he got them off immediately (one was screened by Benn the pylon), and they were perfectly placed. Carey made several difficult saves in a tight game that I wouldn't feel confident other goalies would. It wasn't his BEST night, but he was not terrible, even if he admits it was on him.
Matthews is just that good. A shooter on a goalie always has the advantage to beat them if they shoot perfectly, particularly when the puck is batted out of midair, changing the angle immensely. Matthews shoots perfectly. This is going to be a huge problem for us. We need a Matthews, plain and simple. How to get one? Unfortunately tanking is the only honest answer, and then too, there's no guarantee.

I'm fine with Pleks and Byron starting, but ffs, when you retrieve the puck -- CHANGE!!! Do not go end to end, because there's no way you're gonna score + you're already tired. Any surprise they couldn't get back in time? Good decision to start them. Terrible decision not to change.

Also, Pacioretty can't even tip the puck in, but this is on Price. Leafs have dynamite offense, and our top scorer is atrocious.

Good for Chucky and Drouin.

So your saying Price let in difficult shot so it's not is fault.

In a game where a goalie had maybe 5 difficult shot and let in 4 of them. It is the goalie's fault. It is easy to point out the defensive mistake on a goal. There is one on every goal that is scored. Hockey is a mistake sport. You capitalize on them to win the game. Saturday, the habs did an amazing job limiting those mistakes. They applied pressure all game. Dominated play 2/3 out of 60 minutes. But saturday and saturday only... Price sunk his team ship. Habs take the lead. He let in 2 goals in 40 seconds. Came back from behind and retake the lead. Price let in one of the most atrocious goal this year. Some games it's the slow defence but saturday... my evaluation is that we probably would have won with Montoya in net. ( I repeat just saturday )

I'm going to be honest, I was one of the guys that in the beginning of his career was on Price's back a lot. I felt he let in a lot of easy shot. But he made me eat a lot of crow in the last 3 years. I know what he can do and believe he is an amazing goalie. There is no doubt in my mind that he'll get back in shape in no time. The season is long.

But not blaming him for saturday's defeat is putting your head in the sands because the team in front of him played well enough.

If Montoya let in those goal you'd probably be all over him saying that he must be switched with lindgren. But it's Price that let those in so you over analyse them and say something like... ( well, there was no easy shot in the goal except maybe the third one. ) Funnily enough... the third one is the one that made the difference in the game.

Reactions: Belial

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Good times ahead.... we are only going to get wors.....** puts on Pro-Bergy Glasses** BETTER!!!

Our D core is better then last year!!! Trades are Hard but that Capspace will be for Johnny T and Marc will show you all how little you know.

HOW dare you insult our great GM? Only he knows everything and he has a tough job anyways. DO you know how hard it is to build a winning team? You need to be smart, build via the Draft!!!

Did you guys see how great Benn looked? He is clearly an upgrade of Alexi and Nathan, good job protecting that asset.
We almost beat the #1 ranked leafs and we are 26!!! Amazing! If I believed in windows and #1 centers I'd say we are well on our way to the STAND-LEE cup !! Just need to trade that cancerous Alex G for a solid #2 center and don't worry that capspace , we can sign many more 3rd and 4th liners. I mean that is where we need the most help anyways!

GO habs go!

**takes off glasses and looks at habs**
looks like crap.

Buddy Beaulieu sucks

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Stop calling them the laffs unless you are being sarcastic

They will go further then the hablesslaffs
Ya being sarcastic I guess. Didn't know you were that sensitive about the figs. I have put up with their fans for years and have no use for them or the team. Get it? Met Wendell Clark lately and he couldn\t give credit where credit is due. Our kids outplayed the shit out the Ottawa. Seemed like an ass to me, typical leaf maybe?

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM

Difference between the Oilers future and the Habs future is night and day.

We don't have a young McDavid or Draisaitl unfortunately. We don't have size and toughness with guys like Maroon, Lucic and even Kassian.

We are a weak sister compared to where the Oilers are heading. And I hate writing that but it's true. They are a team that's very much on the rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad