Price of Sticks is Getting Ridiculous

Jarick

Doing Nothing
It's $100, I have a 10% off coupon, it feels well balanced, I am curious about the top hand kick, it feels nice and whippy, and I've had good luck with Bauer sticks.

But I want to also see if I can find a clearance X:60, SE16, EQ50, Warrior Diablo/Widow, Sherwood N12, etc.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
It's $100, I have a 10% off coupon, it feels well balanced, I am curious about the top hand kick, it feels nice and whippy, and I've had good luck with Bauer sticks.

But I want to also see if I can find a clearance X:60, SE16, EQ50, Warrior Diablo/Widow, Sherwood N12, etc.

Thanks, that's about the price range I'm looking in and i'm just trying figure out what exactly i want.

Aucoin11*

I bought a good old-fashioned wooden stick last winter for $9. Sticks are not expensive unless you are caught up in the hype and must have the latest, greatest top of the line stick.

I play fine with one of the cheapest sticks on the rack.
It is a poor player that needs the crutch of an expensive stick, IMO.

He says as he tapes his ankles before every skate.

The higher priced sticks are significantly better than wood sticks in performance for a reason. It is called engineering. If you have any semblance of reasoning skill that allows you to understand how a hockey stick works and the physics involved you will understand that it isn't just "hype."

Last edited by a moderator:

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009

The higher priced sticks are significantly better than wood sticks in performance for a reason. It is called engineering. If you have any semblance of reasoning skill that allows you to understand how a hockey stick works and the physics involved you will understand that it isn't just "hype."

Or you're a senile old man.

The industry is successful not from reasonably high skilled players benefiting from a better engineered stick, but from children and novice players shelling out more for a stick that they are told will improve them.

I don't deny that they can help someone's game, but feel as though in the last decade or so people seem to prefer buying new expensive equipment rather than practise. And no, I'm not a senial old man. I'm 27.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

Or you're a senile old man.

Simmer down, no need to insult and get personal. :shakehead

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yes, please keep it clean.

Back to the sticks, lots of them on clearance out there today worth a look. Warrior Diablo for $120, Easton 75S for $100, Vapor X:60 in my flex and curve for $165 (tried to get them to go lower, no dice, they are at cost)...kind of between the Diablo and the Nexus 600. I'm a little worried the Nexus will get too whippy on me. The Diablo feels a little lighter and whippier than my old Dynasty. X:60 would be idea, but lots of cash and no coupons.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

Back to the sticks, lots of them on clearance out there today worth a look. Warrior Diablo for $120, Easton 75S for $100, Vapor X:60 in my flex and curve for $165 (tried to get them to go lower, no dice, they are at cost)...kind of between the Diablo and the Nexus 600. I'm a little worried the Nexus will get too whippy on me. The Diablo feels a little lighter and whippier than my old Dynasty. X:60 would be idea, but lots of cash and no coupons.

I'm afraid I can't help you at all...

But what did you think of the Dynasty? I'm looking at getting a low flex one, are they as good as the hype?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Diablo and Widow's prices have already dropped at some local shops since the Covert line was released.

I would've bought a Widow stick but they didn't have the right flex/curve for me. They do for Diablo, but I heard some not so glowing reviews about them.

I don't think the N12 will go on sale anytime soon. I've searched Vancouver through and through and the only N12 I could find was a 85 flex left hand stick with either Stastny or Ryan. Too limited. You might fare better than I did seeing how you live in the States?

Aucoin11*

get the x60. It is an incredible stick and worth the upcharge. It honestly feels like half of a nexus 600.

Nearly everyone I know praises the X60 as one of bauer's best sticks in recent memory, naturally behind the one95 and total one

The industry is successful not from reasonably high skilled players benefiting from a better engineered stick, but from children and novice players shelling out more for a stick that they are told will improve them.

I don't deny that they can help someone's game, but feel as though in the last decade or so people seem to prefer buying new expensive equipment rather than practise. And no, I'm not a senial old man. I'm 27.

I wasn't speaking to you or the point you are currently making. I was talking to the bender who insinuated that poor players need the "crutch" of expensive sticks, which is far removed from reality.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I wasn't speaking to you or the point you are currently making. I was talking to the bender who insinuated that poor players need the "crutch" of expensive sticks, which is far removed from reality.
He wasn't wrong... I don't know how many 12 year olds I've seen playing "A" with RS's

As for the sticks... if you're going to spend $165 for an X60 I'd go ahead and spend the 20 bucks more for the N12... that thing is like a feather in your hands and the feel is amazing

Aucoin11*

He wasn't wrong... I don't know how many 12 year olds I've seen playing "A" with RS's

As for the sticks... if you're going to spend $165 for an X60 I'd go ahead and spend the 20 bucks more for the N12... that thing is like a feather in your hands and the feel is amazing

Like I said. I didn't say he was wrong. I was talking to another poster and he was referencing a different topic. Please take the time to read.

as for the N12 vs x60. Everyone is different, but the majority I've seen prefer the x60 over the N12. In a way it depends on what you want. The X60 definitely has a much more "pingy" blade.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I went for the Diablo. Maybe in part because my hockey team is the Diablos. But I had $25 worth of coupons so I got it for $100. It felt really light and the flex felt good.

The X:60 was my main stick last year and I loved it. I would have loved another one, but not at $165 + tax. Just a little too tight now. And I liked the puck feel of the Dynasty better than the X:60.

Overall I thought the Dynasty was a good stick, but nothing special. Like the Dolomite. The puck feel was really good, balance was decent, kick was decent. The X:60 had mediocre puck feel but was insanely light and balanced with great kick. So I'm hoping the Diablo is a cross between the two.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Like I said. I didn't say he was wrong. I was talking to another poster and he was referencing a different topic. Please take the time to read.

as for the N12 vs x60. Everyone is different, but the majority I've seen prefer the x60 over the N12. In a way it depends on what you want. The X60 definitely has a much more "pingy" blade.

I know which post you were referring to and in believe you have misread it. He didn't say only bad players need good sticks. He said only bad players need them in order to succeed.

The N12 is on a different level than any stick that's not originally priced at or around 300 right now. X60, 9K, EQ40 etc don't even really come close IMO.

Thesensation19*

You're absolutely right that the value of Easton pricepoints are great. As you go up, sticks are better performing and generally LESS durable due to less and less fibreglass content. The M5 is the exception in this case as it replaces the old STs.

Interesting how you don't use tape at all with your M1, there's not texture on that blade, it's just matte. The Z-Tac on the top-end Mako is gritty, but even then tape would probably be a good idea for the heel and toe at least.

When you feel the blade with your hand compared to like the S19 or any other stick for that matter, it feels like the style of wood. That rough style and because of it it acts like a grip.

I noticed tho that the feel of it is getting more smooth now for what ever reason but im not a big fan of tape especially practice. You get to really practice for the feel of the puck so when u use tape during game time its a bonus.

The reason im not a huge fan is because the tape gets wet. The wax i bought helps but doesnt stop it from happening. I am sure theres more expensive tape out there which stops this but like i said, more expensive.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I find Renfrew black cloth tape + a heat gun seems to do a good job. The heat gun seems to help the glue of the tape adhere to the blade, might also make it a bit more water repellent. Maybe it's in my head, but it seems stickier, like a wax job, but with the friction of cloth tape. Also it doesn't tear up during the game as much.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I find Renfrew black cloth tape + a heat gun seems to do a good job. The heat gun seems to help the glue of the tape adhere to the blade, might also make it a bit more water repellent. Maybe it's in my head, but it seems stickier, like a wax job, but with the friction of cloth tape. Also it doesn't tear up during the game as much.

That's an interesting idea Jarick, I wouldn't do it if you're someone who retapes every game or whatever because I'm paranoid about it maybe affecting durability (though it probably doesn't).

I'll try it sometime.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Why are people compaining about stick prices? I can still buy a wooden stick from Canadian Tire for $15. If I feel so inclined I can buy a composite stick for around $50. What's the big deal? If you're stupid enough to buy a $200+ stick that's you're own fault. A more expensive stick isn't going to make a beer league player any better.

I play Junior A hockey for the Long Beach Bombers in the WSHL. While granted its the lowest tier for Jr. A, it's far from beer league. I am not trying to sound pretentious but I get full use out of a high end stick. This thread was never meant to *****, but merely state that the price of a hockey stick is highly inflated in my opinion.

I bought a good old-fashioned wooden stick last winter for $9. Sticks are not expensive unless you are caught up in the hype and must have the latest, greatest top of the line stick.

I play fine with one of the cheapest sticks on the rack. It is a poor player that needs the crutch of an expensive stick, IMO.

I will get much more out of a high end composite than a wood stick. In practice all I use is a wood stick as I believe it helps my stick handling and shot when going back to a composite. Huge difference between a 9$ stick and something like the Bauer Total One.

OilerNut*

I love my Sherwood Coffey curve, but its becoming harder every time to find it. Any similar blade patterns?

Aucoin11*

I love my Sherwood Coffey curve, but its becoming harder every time to find it. Any similar blade patterns?

bauer P08, warrior kremlin, ccm crazy

they're all slightly different, but they're all out of control and completely unneccessary. so they're similar in that regard.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
I play Junior A hockey for the Long Beach Bombers in the WSHL. While granted its the lowest tier for Jr. A, it's far from beer league. I am not trying to sound pretentious but I get full use out of a high end stick. This thread was never meant to *****, but merely state that the price of a hockey stick is highly inflated in my opinion.

I will get much more out of a high end composite than a wood stick. In practice all I use is a wood stick as I believe it helps my stick handling and shot when going back to a composite. Huge difference between a 9$ stick and something like the Bauer Total One.

which is the exact reason many high school and college baseball players play in wooden bat leagues during the summer. When the get back to school and get the benefit of engineered bats they are that much better of a hitter. Bravo to you for being such an intelligent player.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Coffee curves are all over the place.. You just have to find different places I guess

Jarick

Doing Nothing
First skate with the Diablo, not too impressed. It's fairly light and the puck feel is good, catching hard/hot passes is solid. But it almost feels too light in the blade, like it needs more mass. It feels pretty stiff too, not much flex. And just the first session, the blade has a little crack in the middle and now I can hear it creaking.

Hopefully I can nab a Nexus 600 soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad