GDT: Press Conference Introducing Alex Meruelo as Coyotes Owner, 1pm, @GRA

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Little more tacky and non humble than I would have hoped, but grateful for sure.

I don’t think he knows a whole lot about the sport, but that’s not his job. I get the consensus he’s there to filter in money.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Missed the audio on the first few minutes but I love this guy.

Got hit with the arena question a few times but he didn’t make it seem like it’s a critical thing for now. He wants to make the team a successful winner...... in Arizona.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Little more tacky and non humble than I would have hoped, but grateful for sure.

Screw humility and tact. I lived for several years in Mexico, and one thing I have never forgotten (and will always love) about Hispanic people is that what you see is what you get. When a guy is that nakedly passionate about something, I take it at face value. It's about time we had someone owning the team that has actual passion, not just to be an owner but to be someone the fans can be proud of. If you replay his comments in Spanish, you'll notice how much he reiterated pride - he certainly feels the weight of being the first Hispanic owner in the NHL, and I think that that plays a big part in why he wants to make the Coyotes a success.

Reactions: 0point1 and Jmmack

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe I've got rose-colored glasses on, but how could anyone in this market watch this guy and hear him speak and NOT feel like we're on the cusp of something special?
Talk is cheap. He has a great personality and seems likable.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Talk is cheap. He has a great personality and seems likable.

Talk can be cheap. I mean, look at Anthony LeBlanc.

But then again, look at Anthony LeBlanc and his rhetoric, and then compare it to Meruelo's. Hell, look at LeBlanc's portfolio compared to Meruelo's. Night and day. Meruelo has the receipts.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don’t think he knows a whole lot about the sport, but that’s not his job. I get the consensus he’s there to filter in money.
That's why he is a billionaire and we aren't.;)

Reactions: Jmmack and SR

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I liked his passion and his background. This isn't the first business he has purchased that has problems. His ability to fix it is based on his experience. A hockey team is not special or much different in terms of being a business versus any other business. Its not very complicated. I think he sees it as a giant opportunity and I am confident he can figure it all out, but it will take time. His ability to market to the hispanic market will bode well for attracting new fans and building a new arena in a public/private financing scenario and his heritage is going to help him as well.

Its a good start, lets see what happens:)

Reactions: Mosby

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Talk can be cheap. I mean, look at Anthony LeBlanc.

But then again, look at Anthony LeBlanc and his rhetoric, and then compare it to Meruelo's. Hell, look at LeBlanc's portfolio compared to Meruelo's. Night and day. Meruelo has the receipts.
Thing is, we were hopeful with Ice Edge. With Meruelo I know he's the real deal

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like what he said about seeking out "synergies" with his "vast" holding in media, gaming, and entertainment, now with his sports team. I'm glad that he sees this new opportunity as a part of his overall pie and wants to integrate things. I think that's a good thing for our long-term stability.

I like that he seems very impressed with Cohen and Chayka.

I especially like that he wants to engage the Hispanic community. I've been saying that for years and years. I really hope the team can figure out how attract this untapped demographic. I think it will be good for the valley, the community, the team, and the game. The NHL needs diversity. I want to see ESL kids from Phoenix getting hockey scholarships to D1 schools.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Soon...soon...

One more meeting and then I'm going to have a Meruelo martini.

Vuvezula!

This guy really is our white knight, both in terms of his Cuban background and his professional background.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad