GDT: Preseason: Wild @ Blues 2nd of October 2014, 7PM Central, 3AM Suomi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
oh ****, you're right! we should exactly copy the team that won the stanley cup the previous year because thats never failed in the past. the point, if you reaaaaally need it spelled out, is that they have picked this as their team identity and while it hasn't won them a stanley cup, it's helped make them contenders. They just need tweaks here or there like all contenders who don't actually win it. I'm not saying the Wild copy them, either--we don't have the personnel for it.
merely pointing out that bullies do indeed have some success in the NHL today provided they have the skill to go with it.

kings are more like the blues than the Wild, and THEY won the cup.

Kings are more skilled than the blues. I'm saying the way they played has not won them the Stanley cup. Maybe the reason the sharks and blues haven't won it yet is there fouth lines aren't very good.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Kings are more skilled than the blues. I'm saying the way they played has not won them the Stanley cup. Maybe the reason the sharks and blues haven't won it yet is there fouth lines aren't very good.

the Kings aren't more skilled than the blues when you consider depth. They have a couple players with more high-end talent, but with depth the Blues are more talented. Kings have better goaltending. They still play a hard, punishing game; overall the Kings game is very similar to the Blues.

There are so many what-ifs in winning the cup it's impossible to say why a team failed most of the time. And i would consider a team finishing in the top 5 for points in the league (or near enough) for several years successful even if they haven't put it together enough to get the cup yet. once they start a decline you can say it's over, but until then they have a formula that wins games and gives them a pretty good chance (on paper) of advancing in the playoffs vs weaker (on paper) teams.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
I personally think they've modeled themselves as a mix between the Penguins and Bruins. I'm sure Fletcher and Yeo know they don't have a Crosby/Malkin, Toews/Kane set, but they've put a lot of emphasis on strength down the middle and great two-play. Seems like they're trying to create a very rounded team with a few jack-of-all-trades master-of-none players sprinkled in. Probably stating the obvious there, though.

I feel its more the LA model that we have. A lot of forward's to through at you(Koivu, Parise, Vanek,Poms, Coyle Grands,Nino) with a #1 D man eating lots of minuets (Suter/Doughty) and a soild core around him Defensive wise, goaltending....well that's quite a difference obviously. However if you look at LA and their forwards Kopitar, Brown,Gabs, Carter,Williams,Sthol, Richards..etc somewhat similar

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I feel its more the LA model that we have. A lot of forward's to through at you(Koivu, Parise, Vanek,Poms, Coyle Grands,Nino) with a #1 D man eating lots of minuets (Suter/Doughty) and a soild core around him Defensive wise, goaltending....well that's quite a difference obviously. However if you look at LA and their forwards Kopitar, Brown,Gabs, Carter,Williams,Sthol, Richards..etc somewhat similar

except their forwards are more physical.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
except their forwards are more physical.

Their bottom-6 maybe. Their top-6 isn't physical at all. Kopitar,Carter,Gaborik, Williams none of them are what you would describe physical. Richard and Brown are but they are not anymore premium top-6 talent imo.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Their bottom-6 maybe. Their top-6 isn't physical at all. Kopitar,Carter,Gaborik, Williams none of them are what you would describe physical. Richard and Brown are but they are not anymore premium top-6 talent imo.

i don't know about that. obviously gaborik isn't all that physical but Carter is at least as physical as anyone in our top six and Kopitar is quite a bit more physical. they're not laying people out on a regular basis but they use their body more.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
i don't know about that. obviously gaborik isn't all that physical but Carter is at least as physical as anyone in our top six and Kopitar is quite a bit more physical. they're not laying people out on a regular basis but they use their body more.

Kopitar is physical? I have to disagree on that. He is very much like Koivu. Both use their bodies well while protecting the puck. Koivu does have that extra nastiness when he gets angry though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce