GDT: Preseason to Regular Season - Let's kill some time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It makes me wonder why Hornqvist does well with Sid then, he's not the fastest, but he knows where to be. That's the biggest thing for Crosby, not that someone can keep up, the excuse is to find someone that can skate with him and pray it works out half decently like Dupuis did, but even then, Pascal worked so well because he knew where to be. Or more importantly, where Crosby needed him to be.

To say Kuhnhackl wouldn't work without trying him there seems odd to me, I hope it's tried so we can put it to rest. But if there's a player I would love to see with Sid, it's Rust, not Sheary. If Sheary was a decent 35-40pt guy, then trying both would be a fantastic thing to see with both on their off wings, allowing Crosby to really hurt teams when he gives both of them angles that goalies would have trouble stopping (moving Horny down to Geno's line, probably better suited there since Geno is a self professed puck hog on his line).

I think Kuhn could be a fit for Sid somewhere down the line. He's big, smart, hard-working, defensively responsible, and he has a great shot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I see Kuhn as a better fit for Geno than Sid, but he has characteristics that theoretically could work for either. Wilson seems like a better fit for Sid than Kuhn IMO because he can play with more pace. I'd need to see it in action to know for sure though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I see Kuhn as a better fit for Geno than Sid, but he has characteristics that theoretically could work for either. Wilson seems like a better fit for Sid than Kuhn IMO because he can play with more pace. I'd need to see it in action to know for sure though.

I agree with that too.

Most of the kids seem pretty versatile though, which is fantastic.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I agree with that too.

Most of the kids seem pretty versatile though, which is fantastic.

Agreed. None of them are likely what we really want for Sid and Geno, but they are interesting options. Guentzel is the most intriguing (other than Sprong). I'm looking forward to seeing who he can mesh with.

Dreaming a bit but this looks amazing if everyone is ready in 17-18

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Geno-Sprong
HBK
Kuhn-Sundqvist/Fehr-Wilson

Obviously this assume we don't lose Rust or Wilson in expansion which is possible

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm just praying it's 100% precautionary, take no chances type of thing.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kunitz-Malkin-Hornqvist
Hags-Bones-Kessel
Kuhn-Cully-Fehr
Wilson-Sundy-Sheary

Callings it.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Kunitz-Malkin-Hornqvist
Hags-Bones-Kessel
Kuhn-Cully-Fehr
Wilson-Sundy-Sheary

Callings it.

I don't think Sullivan is going to go top 6 bottom 6 on us. I think the top9 is going to stay like last game. Cullens line never got much practice together, so we might see them stick with that. Plus I think they really want to keep trying Wilson with Geno.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think Sullivan is going to go top 6 bottom 6 on us. I think the top9 is going to stay like last game. Cullens line never got much practice together, so we might see them stick with that. Plus I think they really want to keep trying Wilson with Geno.

What were the lines?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Wilson-Malkin-Hornqvist
HBK
Kunitz-Cullen-Sheary
Kuhnackl-Sundqvist-Fehr

My best guess, assuming Rust is still out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd rather see them call up Guentzel and just put Guentzel in Crosby's spot. Although I imagine they'll just bump Cullen up and put Porter in.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Cullen should just get his regular linemates that he produced so much with in the playoffs, just with a bit of an ice time bump. Maybe let Fehr center the fourth and see what Sheary looks like on the right with Kuhn on the left.

I seem to remember those two (Sheary, Kuhn) connecting on a scoring play or two that didn't require Cullen godmoding the puck into the net like he does a lot of the time.

Your new fourth line should be some combination of Kunitz, Sheary, Fehr, Rowney and Sundqvist.

Cullen's good with who he's good with. Don't mess with that too much.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Cullen should just get his regular linemates that he produced so much with in the playoffs, just with a bit of an ice time bump. Maybe let Fehr center the fourth and see what Sheary looks like on the right with Kuhn on the left.

I seem to remember those two (Sheary, Kuhn) connecting on a scoring play or two that didn't require Cullen godmoding the puck into the net like he does a lot of the time.

Your new fourth line should be some combination of Kunitz, Sheary, Fehr, Rowney and Sundqvist.

Cullen's good with who he's good with. Don't mess with that too much.

I'd just put Fehr with Sid's linemates (Sheary and PH). And call up a replacement for Rust to play with Cullen and Kuhn. Archibald plays a similar style if that's their formula.

Although I'd like to see Guentzel get in there either way. We are losing the best player on the planet. It'd be nice to add some legit offense to the lineup.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd just put Fehr with Sid's linemates (Sheary and PH). And call up a replacement for Rust to play with Cullen and Kuhn. Archibald plays a similar style if that's their formula.

Although I'd like to see Guentzel get in there either way. We are losing the best player on the planet. It'd be nice to add some legit offense to the lineup.

Going to be interesting to see what Sully does with Geno. More minutes of course. Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing extra shifts with other combos.

Also, more minutes for HBK.

****, it was all shaping up too well. Everyone relatively healthy. Sid primed. And, voila. ****. Beginning to wonder if this is part of Mario's deal with the devil for a 2nd cup. :rant:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Going to be interesting to see what Sully does with Geno. More minutes of course. Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing extra shifts with other combos.

Also, more minutes for HBK.

****, it was all shaping up too well. Everyone relatively healthy. Sid primed. And, voila. ****. Beginning to wonder if this is part of Mario's deal with the devil for a 2nd cup. :rant:

As long as Sid isn't becoming more prone to this type of injury, I can deal with him losing out on another scoring title. Upside is Sid gets more rest after a long stretch of hockey.

I think this season is huge for Malkin. He's always stepped up when Sid's been out. Would be awesome to see him turn back the clock and have Sullivan really rely on him.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
-The Pens held practice at UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex Monday afternoon using the following line combinations and defensive pairs:

Sheary-Cullen-Hornqvist

Kunitz-Malkin-Wilson

Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel

Sestito-Fehr-Kuhnhackl

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Daley
Cole-Schultz
Pouliot-Warsofsky

-While the lines remained the same as Saturday's preseason game, the Penguins made some changes to their special teams. The power play units looked like this…

(1) Hornqvist-Malkin-Bonino-Letang-Kessel

(2) Sheary-Cullen-Kunitz-Schultz-Pouliot

Hmm.... it's a little odd to see Pouliot in the Power Play line. Perhaps there's hope for him yet.

Was hoping to see a healthy Sundqvist over Sestito, but not surprised.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wonder, would the Penguins dress 11 forwards and 7 defensemen instead of calling someone up/playing Porter? That's what the PP units suggest they'd do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad