GDT: Preseason to Regular Season - Let's kill some time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
As long as Sid isn't becoming more prone to this type of injury, I can deal with him losing out on another scoring title. Upside is Sid gets more rest after a long stretch of hockey.

I think this season is huge for Malkin. He's always stepped up when Sid's been out. Would be awesome to see him turn back the clock and have Sullivan really rely on him.

The last time Crosby was out with a concussion Malkin wrecked his knee like a month later... hopefully the injury curse hasn't come full circle.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'd just put Fehr with Sid's linemates (Sheary and PH). And call up a replacement for Rust to play with Cullen and Kuhn. Archibald plays a similar style if that's their formula.

Although I'd like to see Guentzel get in there either way. We are losing the best player on the planet. It'd be nice to add some legit offense to the lineup.

Eh. Guentzel had a good camp, but he didn't force his way onto the lineup.

He's got 10 pro games. A year or even half a year in the AHL would be the safest course of action for him. And the Pens aren't really a Jake Guentzel in the NHL from making--or missing--the playoffs, even with Sid out.

I don't think sitting up here playing limited or no minutes exactly did Sprong or Pouliot any favors and I'd like to not repeat that type of thing in the future with another guy who shows some promise. At minimum, the Penguins should see what the guy does in the AHL from now until December. If he's setting the world on fire, maybe you reassess, but not, imo, before.

If you do leave him down for most of the year, you'll have a lot better idea of what can be expected if/when he makes the club next camp.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
The last time Crosby was out with a concussion Malkin wrecked his knee like a month later... hopefully the injury curse hasn't come full circle.

Wasn't that the first time? And the second when Geno won his second Art Ross? Either way, hopefully BlindWillyMcHurt has worked a reverse jinx with his penciling Malkin on IR for most of the season.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Wasn't that the first time? And the second when Geno won his second Art Ross? Either way, hopefully BlindWillyMcHurt has worked a reverse jinx with his penciling Malkin on IR for most of the season.

2010-2011
Crosby Concussion
Malkin Knee
Offseason
2011-2012
Crosby still out
Malkin starts an Art Ross season
Crosby comes back
Crosby gone again
Malkin's Art Ross season continues
Crosby is back for real
Malkin finishes the Art Ross Season
2012 playoff abomination

All one injury for Crosby. Malkin got hurt right after and then the next season dominated. No?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

True, however the next year Malkin won the Art Ross and scored 50 goals...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'll take a minor attempt to pull a positive out of this. I think the setback for Crosby will get him even more focused. What a rollercoaster, eh? It seemed like he had everything taken away from him, goes on to pretty much take everything back by dominating in every single possible way, just to have a hint of what it would be like to lose it again. Jesus man.

And I think the team will rally. This is one of those moments that resets the mindset. I just worry if Sid will start over-thinking by all of this. He was dominating in the corners like old school Sid. I don't want to see pull up at the hash Sid again. :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The bright spot is that it happened at the start of the season, I wish it didn't happen, but he should be healthy hopefully in a month or so or however long. If it was because some idiot was preying on him and went after his head, that would suck, this was likely a bad play that resulted in it.

In any case, start of the season, gives some kids a shot to audition for a role they didn't know was available until Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad