Preseason Prediction Poll - Where will the Caps finish the Regular Season in 2022-23?

Where will the Caps finish the regular season in 2022-23?

• Win the Metro

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • 2nd Metro

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • 3rd Metro

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Wild Card spot

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Out of the playoffs

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Last in the Metro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worst team in the NHL (stink lines)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nanners...

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think 2nd in the metro is a realistic result.

-Their goaltending has vastly improved.
-Strome over Backstrom is a large improvement.
-Kuznetsov has a good chance of improving after last year’s middling season.
-Their PP will probably improve.
-If given an opportunity McMichael and Protas should show significant improvements.

The only players who could show significant regression are Ovechkin, Oshie, and maybe Jensen/Carlson. And even the latter two aren’t really at an age where we can expect dropoffs. And Ovechkin is Ovechkin.

They should be good. I think Carolina will be a little better. But Washington really should finish ahead of NYR and PIT if they get some decent injury luck. I think a wild card would be a disappointing result (again, barring significant injuries).

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Almost when second and then changed to third in metro since we start without Wilson. But i like @twabby breakdown. I think Carolina wins it. I could see Rangers coming down a bit. I like Caps a lot more than Islanders, Blue Jackets, and Pens. Flyers just trash.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I’ll go with 3rd. New pieces, vets year older, some uncertainty and injuries to start the season. Plus, gonna take advanced differential equations to work out the middle 6 with all these forwards - but sure, I’m hopeful they’ll contend and stay out of a WC spot. Also think it’s Carolina’s to lose.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I think 2nd in the metro is a realistic result.

-Their goaltending has vastly improved.
-Strome over Backstrom is a large improvement.
-Kuznetsov has a good chance of improving after last year’s middling season.
-Their PP will probably improve.
-If given an opportunity McMichael and Protas should show significant improvements.

The only players who could show significant regression are Ovechkin, Oshie, and maybe Jensen/Carlson. And even the latter two aren’t really at an age where we can expect dropoffs. And Ovechkin is Ovechkin.

They should be good. I think Carolina will be a little better. But Washington really should finish ahead of NYR and PIT if they get some decent injury luck. I think a wild card would be a disappointing result (again, barring significant injuries).

Agreed. Exactly what I came to say. On paper they are much better than they were last year. I think 2nd in the metro is do-able.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
I think our team vastly improved this offseason. I predict that maybe we will be better than a WC this year. 2nd or 3rd in Metro.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We’ll see how they do but the team is giving me 2018 vibes. I don’t mean to imply they’re going to win the Cup but the team has been written off by everyone just like they were after their window closed in 2017 and I think they’ll do well with the spotlight being on other teams like Carolina, New York, etc.

If Keumper can be the goalie we think we can this will be the first season since 2017 that they’ll have steady goaltending. Even during the Cup year Holtby fell off and Grubi had to come in and save the day but then Grubi shit the bed in the playoffs. Having a steady presence in the crease would be a big shot in the arm for this group.

Also, a ton of the team is on expiring contracts so you have to imagine they’ll have a little more in the tank since they’ll be looking for new contracts be it in DC or elsewhere. Strome, Brown, Sheary, Eller, Orlov, Jensen, Hathaway, TvR… all will be important contributors this year and all will be UFAs at the end of this season. And it does feel like a make or break year for Mantha as well.

That said, I voted WC though nothing would surprise me except if the wheels come off completely. I really like their depth but Eller, Oshie, and Johansson as a trio makes me nervous. Eller and Oshie in general make me a bit nervous. I also wonder about their ability to generate offense at even strength.

Reactions: Calicaps

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
3rd in the metro.

The improved goaltending alone should make up for regression by their aging stars. Not enough to win the division, but they should be better than last year.

That's assuming Kuemper stays mostly healthy. He hasn't been the most durable guy throughout his career.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I'm predicting 3rd

- There's plenty of unknowns, mainly will Kuemper/Strome/Brown gel and excel, if they do and we get a healthy Wilson back on time, that bodes well
- after that can the older core stay healthy and produce
- with a lot of expiring contracts it might help push some players
- on paper, I think Caps pick up a few pts on CAR/NYR/PIT; PIT's a literal wild card, they could implode this year or get 100+

very interested to see how long it takes the team to come together this year

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Informal count seems like about half of the respondents so far think the Caps miss the POs completely.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Informal count seems like about half of the respondents so far think the Caps miss the POs completely.

definitely winning the cup then. ;)

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Injuries and old legs in general will do us in this season just like every season since the 18 Cup. Hoping Ovi stays young and Kuzy finds his peak level.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Pains me to say this...I think Father Time and the injury bug will hit us HARD this year. Out of the playoffs, and this is the season that breaks the core and forces a youth movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: YippieKaey

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I said third and I still don’t think that is out of the question. We thought there may some injuries and there were. But its not just old guys getting hurt. Malenstyn and Brown (and Wilson) 28 and under. Backstrom and Hags don’t really count because they started season on LTIR likely for the season. Oshie situation is sad but not surprising.

I believe they can fight through this. If propsect pool is as good as everyone thinks then the bodies we have will contribute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad