GDT: Preseason Game: Vegas Golden Knights @ Colorado Avalanche | 6:00PM I think| Almost There Edition

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I'll reserve prediction until I see the roster :)

But if Kolesar playes, I'll predict a major and a match misconduct.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Is it coincidence they play in both or are they taking a long look at Coghlan and Whitecloud? As they are the natural RD.

Yes and yes.

But they probably thought Hague needed a few extra days to refocus after a sloppy rookie tourney. Last year they kept throwing him and B*******m just about every game to fully evaluate them.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yes and yes.

But they probably thought Hague needed a few extra days to refocus after a sloppy rookie tourney. Last year they kept throwing him and B*******m just about every game to fully evaluate them.

I still think we have too many rookie defensemen who all need ice time and experience at the same time and it will make sense to trade one of them at some point this season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I still think we have too many rookie defensemen who all need ice time and experience at the same time and it will make sense to trade one of them at some point this season.

But why

These are all kids who can develop at their own pace and play on ELCs on different pairings with different skillsets. The McGMs need an intervention as it is with trading the prospects.

Schuldt, Hague and Coghlan can spend another 2 years in the AHL without passing through waivers. Whitecloud should be a proper NHLer by at least the beginning of next season.

Plus there's almost a year age gap from one prospect to another (Bischoff is 25, Schuldt is 24, Whitecloud is 22, Coghlan is 21 going on 22 Hague is 20 going on 21...)

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Goodness this barely qualifies as being a game, these rosters make it feel more like a scrimmage of AHL prospects with a few decent NHLers sprinkled in. No wonder why I got seats so cheap.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
The NHL mandates that each team plays 8 "veterans" in each preseason game. So most will look like an AHL scrimmage, especially early in the preseason.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The NHL mandates that each team plays 8 "veterans" in each preseason game. So most will look like an AHL scrimmage, especially early in the preseason.

"Veteran" is defined as 30 games played last season or 100 in career. They don't have to be superstars.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Hearing that Sparks is scheduled to play entire game.

"Veteran" is defined as 30 games played last season or 100 in career. They don't have to be superstars.

You can substitute first round draft picks for NHL "vets". (About the only time they kinda allow an exception is when teams are facing each other as split squads (IOW half of guys at game are home facing team X and other half are at team X playing).)

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
But why

These are all kids who can develop at their own pace and play on ELCs on different pairings with different skillsets. The McGMs need an intervention as it is with trading the prospects.

Schuldt, Hague and Coghlan can spend another 2 years in the AHL without passing through waivers. Whitecloud should be a proper NHLer by at least the beginning of next season.

Plus there's almost a year age gap from one prospect to another (Bischoff is 25, Schuldt is 24, Whitecloud is 22, Coghlan is 21 going on 22 Hague is 20 going on 21...)

I would push back that Hague, Schuldt and Coghlan would spend that many seasons in the AHL. None of them would happy about that. Coghlan and Hague especially probably don't need that.

To be more precise, I think we could look into trading Schuldt if it helps us this season unless he makes himself impossible to trade.

Hague will be better, and so is Schmidt and Theodore on the left side, as well as McNabb who is on a cheap NHL contract and brings a physical presence that Schuldt never will.

Bischoff can be a good 6-7 defenseman. Schuldt is also on a one year contract, he will not be on a cheaper contract or enjoy seasons in the AHL when he could get a better shot on another team.

We have Coghlan and Whitecloud on the right side so holding on to them is important.

Demin, Bouchard and Korczak are behind this group. There are also always veteran defensemen rolling around for year or two contracts.

So, I'm saying, if we need a veteran defenseman for a playoff run Schuldt and a 2nd/3rd would be fine. Or even a cheaper third line winger that allows the team to trade a forward for cap in the future to spend on defense. Unless Schuldt can push himself to the forefront of our young defensemen but I haven't seen that.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I would push back that Hague, Schuldt and Coghlan would spend that many seasons in the AHL. None of them would happy about that. Coghlan and Hague especially probably don't need that.

To be more precise, I think we could look into trading Schuldt if it helps us this season unless he makes himself impossible to trade.

Hague will be better, and so is Schmidt and Theodore on the left side, as well as McNabb who is on a cheap NHL contract and brings a physical presence that Schuldt never will.

Bischoff can be a good 6-7 defenseman. Schuldt is also on a one year contract, he will not be on a cheaper contract or enjoy seasons in the AHL when he could get a better shot on another team.

We have Coghlan and Whitecloud on the right side so holding on to them is important.

Demin, Bouchard and Korczak are behind this group. There are also always veteran defensemen rolling around for year or two contracts.

So, I'm saying, if we need a veteran defenseman for a playoff run Schuldt and a 2nd/3rd would be fine. Or even a cheaper third line winger that allows the team to trade a forward for cap in the future to spend on defense. Unless Schuldt can push himself to the forefront of our young defensemen but I haven't seen that.

Theodore was great on the right side last year, and Gallant has already decided Schmidt will play RD.

But if you're going to shop a young Dman - shop a young Dman in the NHL. Send the other kid(s) down, call up your trade bait & play them at least in January. Who knows, they may play so well you reconsider trading them.

VGK was very fortunate with injuries on D last year. Most of those kids might get some playing time this season.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Lineup in game one was far better than this one. I was thinking at least Karlsson would get in here to play with Tuch, that would have been interesting to see.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Lineup in game one was far better than this one. I was thinking at least Karlsson would get in here to play with Tuch, that would have been interesting to see.

I'm excited to see more prospects get a shot at being something close to "Alpha" out there.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Is it coincidence they play in both or are they taking a long look at Coghlan and Whitecloud? As they are the natural RD.

We need a right D, soooo.....

I think it's Coghlan's to lose after rookie camp and PS1.

I guess Roy was so bad Sunday they moved him to defenseman :laugh:

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
It's a bit dusty, but lets hope we can give this a whirl.

CJhRvppb7eGVG.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad