Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's not well whatever. You were wrong, just own the L and we can move on.
Again, we were talking about losing depth off the end of the season roster. Holloway was not on the end of the season roster and he is now, therefore he is an addition. It's really as simple as that.
It's not well whatever. You were wrong, just own the L and we can move on.
Again, we were talking about losing depth off the end of the season roster. Holloway was not on the end of the season roster and he is now, therefore he is an addition. It's really as simple as that.

I don't know, Nurse who everybody calls a shitty Dman including you souring on him is a +62 career including +26 last season so make of that stat as you will.

I don't know, Nurse who everybody calls a shitty Dman including you souring on him is a +62 career including +26 last season so make of that stat as you will.
You're simply using a different frame of reference on "addition to the roster" than I've ever seen before. Holland did not add Holloway to the org in the offseason any way that you want to try to shake that. Seems only to try to make it seem like there was some kind of significant offseason, or a list. The list is Connor Brown. ffs

Didn’t think I’d have to clarify that I meant when he was healthy, but fine lol
I was being an ass. sorry. heh

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Being that brown didn't even play last season I kind of doubt this.
Didn’t think I’d have to clarify that I meant when he was healthy, but fine lol
Anyways, here's something that was written by RMNB when he signed with the Caps last year:

"Brown played at all strengths for Ottawa and is a multi-time 20-goal scorer but it’s his play on the penalty kill that he thinks is his most attractive ability in the NHL. He finished as the Senators’ top forward in terms of shorthanded time on ice with 2:38 per game and top ten in the league overall in shorthanded points last season with four...

...Combined with Carl Hagelin’s uncertainty and the departure of fourth-line wing Johan Larsson, there were some penalty-killing minutes that needed to be filled. Only one player in the entire league over the past three seasons, former Cap Jay Beagle (2:49), has played on average more shorthanded ice time per game than Brown (2:42)."

From: Connor Brown on the biggest asset he brings to the Capitals: ‘I see myself as a top penalty killer’

I was being an ass. sorry. heh
Haha all good. I did reply again with a clarification though.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You're simply using a different frame of reference on "addition to the roster" than I've ever seen before. Holland did not add Holloway to the org in the offseason any way that you want to try to shake that. Seems only to try to make it seem like there was some kind of significant offseason, or a list. The list is Connor Brown. ffs
Oilers playoff roster - No Holloway
Oilers roster now - Holloway

That's an addition.

You're using semantics that only out of organization adds count but that's not how it works.
Might as well say that McDavid wasn't an addition in '2015-'2016 because he was already in the organization.
They will need to add a center at some point because 11-7 isn't sustainable for long playoff runs but they have plenty of time to address that.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
8-1 isn't a bad game. It's completely unacceptable at the pro level
Yet that type of game happens to championship level teams all the time.

I find it so weird that so many guys who’ve watched all kinds of professional sports for so many years still massively overreact to the result of one game. I guess it’s more about the expectations you set than the reality of pro sports if you think you hat type of game will never happen at the pro level.

Reactions: booyakasha

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well by the Nucks who were battling the flu makes it that much worse.

I agree it's just one game. However, they are showing the same type of weakness that has hurt them in the past. Listened/read quite a few people's takes on the game from trusted media personnel. And the biggest thing is once again this isn't a one player is going to fix it all. This team has been plagued by team defense for far too many years. Which is funny because all those years where we lacked fire power we had a team that was committed to playing team defense because they had no other choice. This team still has the mentality that they can out score their defensive issues and until that changes we won't be a championship team.

I also don't know that championship teams lose by 7
Oilers 9
Blackhawks 2
Nov. 20, 2011

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Oilers 9
Blackhawks 2
Nov. 20, 2011

2021-22 Vegas lost 7-2 to Calgary
2020-21 Colorado lost 8-3 to Toronto
2020-21 TB lost to Nashville 7-2
2018-19 St Louis lost by 5 goals like 6 or 7 times
2017-18 Washington lost to Philly 8-2
2016-17 Pittsburgh lost to Washington 7-1, Columbus 7-1

(someone else can look at the other years)

So seems like almost every year, the Stanley Cup Champion has been blown out, some multiple times. The only exception was 19-20, where TB didn't lose have huge blowouts. Their worst losses were 5-1 and 4-0.

Don't care to join the back and forth, just some information.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

(someone else can look at the other years)

So seems like almost every year, the Stanley Cup Champion has been blown out, some multiple times. The only exception was 19-20, where TB didn't lose any huge blowouts. Their worst losses were 5-1 and 4-0.

Don't care to join the back and forth, just some information.
Completely unacceptable!

:sarcasm:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So the Oilers looked at all that and said...hold my beer.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Have a look at Broberg's results (games played, points, etc) relative to his draft peers on defense. It closely aligns with the majority of defensemen taken in his draft year. There's always going to be distortion comparing against forwards who virtually always move earlier to NHL competition and driving results. Simply easier to onboard as a forward, defense is far more complex.

The Oilers view themselves as a Cup window contender. That's consistently achieved on the back of a veteran proven defense corp. and forward group. It's why the Oilers needed to add a cornerstone d-man Ekholm last year and, for many of us, the belief has long been that Edmonton needs two top 4 veteran proven and post season steeled defensemen to have anywhere near a legitimate Cup level backbone d-corp. Especially so because they do not have a bonafide franchise goaltender than can consistently steal series.

Veteran poise, experience and steadiness is a core requirement on legitimate Cup contender teams. It is especially important at the defense position and the Oilers are still working Bouchard as a young, emerging d-man to cement his own zone defending and consistency into its top 4. No true Cup contender oversteps its age 22 defensemen not named Cale Makar to pin their hopes and aspirations on winning a Cup. And the Oilers defense is far from a stabilizing force with its current construction.
I didn't look at his draft year peers, considering we don't really know what these players are at this point I didn't think it'd make sense. I did however look at past draft years and comparables to Broberg. I outlayed it in this post: GDT: - Preseason #1 • "Nothing Matters (Yet)" • Sept 24 2023 • 4:00 PM • Winnipeg @ Edmonton

He has about a 50% chance of being an NHL at this point. And if he does make it as an NHLer, chances are he won't be anything special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad