GDT: Preseason Game #3: Coyotes vs Stars @ Tulsa OK - 5:00pm - No radio, TV, nada, zip

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Shots in the third were something else…

BD4EF750-9A2D-4FA1-99B7-AF5E6D3C6704.jpeg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Our goaltending situation is so dire that we may end up having the best of both worlds - a team that really tries and gels together, that still loses 50 games during the season and gets us the best lottery odds.

I mean, this is potentially worse than the David Aebischer/Alex Auld pairing from years ago. There isn't a goalie in our system who seems to be capable of anything above beer league quality play, from Korhonen up to Vejmelka.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Our goaltending situation is so dire that we may end up having the best of both worlds - a team that really tries and gels together, that still loses 50 games during the season and gets us the best lottery odds.

I mean, this is potentially worse than the David Aebischer/Alex Auld pairing from years ago. There isn't a goalie in our system who seems to be capable of anything above beer league quality play, from Korhonen up to Vejmelka.
I think you're being too hard on Veggie. He's an NHL caliber goalie. He's just the only one and he probably can't carry us very far.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Vejmelka is as good as any, they need to protect him more.
he was overplayed last year. I think Veggie could struggle this season as the book will be out on him for shooters and Veggie will have to adjust. This is what typically happens in year 2.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Beer league? 🤦‍♂️

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

The only problem is teams tend to stop trying if their goaltending is that bad. It's human nature you can't coach it out 100%

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
The pain of the first 10 games last year due to insufficient goaltending was so damaging to the team's morale that it should not be repeated. The spirit of the team was markedly different when Wedgewood was brought in and even though it didn't result in many wins, helped the team focus on building its identity while still feeling like they had a chance to win each night. Having that atmosphere is still important!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Vejmelka is as good as any, they need to protect him more.

Vejmelka is just good enough that the team might start feeling like they don't need to protect him. But IMO he's not good enough to carry a team on his shoulders, or even be capable of stealing games for an underachieving or below-average squad.

It's kind of a perfect nexus, where Vej might get a low-3s/high-2s GAA and a low-.900s save percentage - great numbers out of context - and still lose a lot of games.

Tendeck is the only other goalie in the system who is showing signs of being NHL-caliber in the future, but he's still a long way off and he needs some nurturing if he's going to ever break out. Thornton is still too raw for any rational extrapolation of his future - he'll be going back to juniors fairly soon. That leaves Rasmus Korhonen - a very tall Finnish kid whose numbers were barely mediocre when we drafted him; Ivan Prosvetov, whose potential trend has been aimed squarely at the cellar for the better part of a year; and Jon Gillies, who, to put it kindly, isn't really someone to rely on in NHL competition and who, by rights, should be in Atlanta or Tucson all season.

There are some potential water-carriers out there like Mackenzie Blackwood who might be had for a low price, but I don't see a lot of promise on the waiver wire. And I dunno, maybe that plays into BA's hands - get one more warm body to fill out the depth chart, and just write off the season and plan for next year.

I worry about the price we will need to pay for a top 15 goalie.

We won't even be trying for one until a couple years down the road, if you ask me. BA appears to be planning for the TED and having a contending team ready for Opening Day. That's what I think the timeline is. Until then, it doesn't feel to me like it's a real priority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad