GDT: Preseason Game 3 - Anaheim Ducks vs San Jose Sharks - 7pm PST (Yup, another game tonight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_4502.jpeg

Anaheim Ducks vs San Jose Sharks
Game 3
7pm - PST

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I fell asleep after it was 3-0 last night, which seems like maybe it was for the best.

But I saw some of what I was hoping to see, which was a tangible difference in system from last season start to show up. The D are so aggressive in standing up, and they activate all over the place. I think that's the right call given that they're not great at defending, we need to focus on creating lots of chances because we don't have that much offensive talent up front either.

So that's promising.

edit - how was Carrick not one of the stars of the game last night? Was Zell that much better?

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Should be a more compelling lineup tonite. Would be nice to see Perreault get another shot but I guess that seems unlikely at this time.

I’m looking forward to seeing Killorn with Leo. I don’t expect Killorn to be on all cylinders since it’s preseason but if he just helps the kid where he has someone who can take those passes and finish will be good.

Mac should be in the line up. Needs to be careful reaching for those pucks. :sarcasm:

So Looks like our 1C and 2C will both be playing tonight. ;)

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I fell asleep after it was 3-0 last night, which seems like maybe it was for the best.

But I saw some of what I was hoping to see, which was a tangible difference in system from last season start to show up. The D are so aggressive in standing up, and they activate all over the place. I think that's the right call given that they're not great at defending, we need to focus on creating lots of chances because we don't have that much offensive talent up front either.

So that's promising.

edit - how was Carrick not one of the stars of the game last night? Was Zell that much better?
I like Cronin's mentality of "hunting the puck." Ducks may give up some outnumbered scoring chances but don't think they'll be constantly trapped in their own zone. The D (so far) haven't been afraid to attack when the opportunity is there.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I like Cronin's mentality of "hunting the puck." Ducks may give up some outnumbered scoring chances but don't think they'll be constantly trapped in their own zone. The D (so far) haven't been afraid to attack when the opportunity is there.
That's the key I think, and IMO Cronin tipped the org's hand when he said that the guys are more comfortable when the puck's on their sticks. These guys aren't great D zone defenders and I think it's smart to try and defend the neutral zone instead and then just send everybody wheeling into the O zone. We're probably better off that way and maybe we can win some 4-3 and 5-4 games instead of losing 4-2 every night.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I would have bet everything I owned that this was @robbieboy3686 without looking at the username. Hope he shows something
I really hope he wins a 4th line job. Hopefully he legitimately out plays several guys and it's not just the toughness that he's bringing to the team. We need toughness, but with what Cronin has been saying it sounds like he'll want to run 4 lines/3 D pairs so we can't have 2 minute a night enforcers in the lineup. Des would have been a perfect fit for this system (4th liner that can defend, PK, and fight).

It does seem like we're pretty loaded at for the 4th line forward positions though... McGinn, Silf/Jones, Carrick, Leason, Groulx, Kassian, probably more I'm missing. This is under the assumption that the top 9 is some combo of:
Rico-McTavish-Z
Killorn-Carlsson-Terry
Jones/Vatrano-Strome-Silf/Vatrano (since Vatrano can play either side, it depends on who gets the 3rd line spot)

If Carrick can keep up the way he's played, Kassian proves to be a legit 4th liner, and Silf is healthy, a Kassian-Carrick-Silf line could be a tough 4th line to play against.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This is very inaccurate.
I don’t agree that he had no chance at cracking our lineup but I do think LaCombe will be better and have always thought that

LaCombe is a better skater and that matters a lot as far as upside goes.

Thrun will be a solid NHL player though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad