GDT: Preseason Game 2: Sabres at Bruins, 7:00 pm

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Was hoping NATO would be more of an impact but he is just starting his first AHL season.

Been rooting for Murray for years but it's not going to happen

Liked Cedar banging, Stillman played a lot and he's not always great with the puck but generally plays a simple physical game. Thought Cecconi was a nice surprise. Can't wait for Mike Barney jr and Connor West Herr to come up.

Levi, Benny and the regulars were great.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Watching Stillman making high school hockey level poor decisions with the puck, I want to never see him dress for the Sabres again. I don’t care about the simple game he plays, or how he’s a physical guy, those sort of reads shouldn’t be happening anywhere close to a NHL rink.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I hate Jack Edwards with a passion. However, I did laugh when he said the Sabres have a goalie now after Levi made a flurry of saves. I made some comment to my wife like hey, that asshole figured it out. We're on our way!

• Haha
Reactions: Club

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Watching Stillman making high school hockey level poor decisions with the puck, I want to never see him dress for the Sabres again. I don’t care about the simple game he plays, or how he’s a physical guy, those sort of reads shouldn’t be happening anywhere close to a NHL rink.
It was bad

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I imagine Adams and Co. had the type of skating, positioning, and compete shown tonight by Levi in mind when declining to acquire every forgettable goalie thought to be available over the summer. He got better over the summer. I think the kid's a star, so I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

Benson is a maniac - he's so good at so many things that help his teammates. How he fills out physically will decide between Canadian National Team level or just perennial all star quality.

Also, my seat was fully intact with all cup holders present and accounted for.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I imagine Adams and Co. had the type of skating, positioning, and compete shown tonight by Levi in mind when declining to acquire every forgettable goalie thought to be available over the summer. He got better over the summer. I think the kid's a star, so I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

Benson is a maniac - he's so good at so many things that help his teammates. How he fills out physically will decide between Canadian National Team level or just perennial all star quality.

Also, my seat was fully intact with all cup holders present and accounted for.

Ya man! LOL at the end! You had a good seat then. I think there 18,000 that don't fit that description.

• Haha
Reactions: HOOats

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I nearly put Stillman in the bad category, but he did make a lot of solid plays. Yeah, he makes a couple of dumb decisions per game -- but I don't think he makes so many that he needs to be shot into the sun.

And it's preseason. Tage/Skinner/Dahlin/etc made plays that they'd never make in the regular season, just to see how they'd work. Hell, Sammy made a couple of plays tonight that he wouldn't make in the regular season. Use the preseason as a way to test new things.

Reactions: Matt Ress

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I nearly put Stillman in the bad category, but he did make a lot of solid plays. Yeah, he makes a couple of dumb decisions per game -- but I don't think he makes so many that he needs to be shot into the sun.

And it's preseason. Tage/Skinner/Dahlin/etc made plays that they'd never make in the regular season, just to see how they'd work. Hell, Sammy made a couple of plays tonight that he wouldn't make in the regular season. Use the preseason as a way to test new things.
Only watched about 15 minutes, but Tage and Skinner looked atrocious.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I completely understand that. And I factored that in, and I even wrote off some of the mistakes as such. But there were plays he made, like completely skating onto his partner's side of the ice, right in front of his partner, while the play was transitioning up the ice into Buffalo's zone, just to take a hit on the guy against the bench, while his forwards were backchecking. Then there were the passes right to the opponent when the open guy was available if he reversed direction.

It wasn't a case of trying things out, it was bad plays against lesser competition that shouldn't be made when you are fighting for a spot, and he's fighting for a #7 or #8 spot on the team.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I completely understand that. And I factored that in, and I even wrote off some of the mistakes as such. But there were plays he made, like completely skating onto his partner's side of the ice, right in front of his partner, while the play was transitioning up the ice into Buffalo's zone, just to take a hit on the guy against the bench, while his forwards were backchecking. Then there were the passes right to the opponent when the open guy was available if he reversed direction.

It wasn't a case of trying things out, it was bad plays against lesser competition that shouldn't be made when you are fighting for a spot, and he's fighting for a #7 or #8 spot on the team.
Far from perfect game from Stillman but I don't think he and Cecconi worked well together. They both had trouble moving the puck out. Stillman was on the ice for the Boston goal but the other D, Lindgren was all over the place all night.

Nobody really talking about Mittelstadt but I thought he had an expected but very good game.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Far from perfect game from Stillman but I don't think he and Cecconi worked well together. They both had trouble moving the puck out. Stillman was on the ice for the Boston goal but the other D, Lindgren was all over the place all night.

That's a pretty solid point there. Stillman and Cecconi kind of play the same style game (more simple and rugged), and I think they're both used to playing with a guy that's more mobile and puck-moving.

And yeah, Lindgren was kind of like the defensive version of Ennis -- feet always moving, but who knows where they take him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad