Post-Game Talk: PRESEASON Game 2: Lightning at Predators - 09/25/2014 - Win 1-0

justinbbradford

Jul 11, 2014
In Laviolette's presser last night seen here: http://penaltyboxradio.com/blog/2014/09/25/post-game-video-peter-laviolette-on-predators-vs-lightning/ he explained that they actually only ran the PP twice during camp so far. They were working a new method, the 1-3-1. The players even said they were thinking too much during it. Look for it to improve as they get more comfortable with the scheme.

Example, Ribeiro even said that all he and the new guys tried to do was get Weber the puck and that has to change. http://penaltyboxradio.com/blog/2014/09/25/ribeiros-strong-play-leads-to-preseason-victory/

sighthndlady

Sep 29, 2006
I would have put the Tampa goalie star #1, even though he gave up the one goal. Very impressed with his glove.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This game could've easily been 3-0 at the worst if not for Tampa's goalie who I simply refer to as Latvia (because of his Olympic performance vs Canada and his name I don't want to learn). He was very impressive and I don't remember who he stoned in front in the 1st that would've made it 2-0, but he flashed his glove and stopped a puck that goes in 90% of the time. He looked really good and kept this game close IMO.

kivaerijo

Apr 14, 2007
EastNashville
I missed the first period so I didn't get to see the goal. They did show the replay and it looked pretty slick. I did have many thoughts though:

1. I had very mixed emotions about the offensive side of the puck. The first notable thing was that there was much more driving in from the wing instead of the dump cycle cycle retreat that we are accustomed to seeing. It's great because there is better flow to the game but the down side is that we were in and out of the zone without sustained attack for long stretches of the game. its always interesting how people,can see different things. The first thing out of my mouth was how much the d was pinching all game and keeping the puck in the zone. Especially the first period. Granted it was against prospects, but was definitely more exciting style. I imagine we will get caught a bunch this year from pinches

2. I was also ready to see the high flying new scheme but it only produced 1goal against a squad of bolts that I've never heard of. yeah, I think it will take some time to get together a bit more

3. I didn't hear the new goal song but did read the instructions for the new goal chant. I will have to hear it because on paper it didn't make sense to me. it is very strange

10. The pp didn't look much different from last year to me, lots of passing and not much shooting. yep, they basically kept trying to set up the point shot and looked for rebound. Was expecting bit more creativity and skill. We will see

I'll post more if anything else comes to me

And what is with the guys coming out for the intro from the corner of the ice instead of from behind the bench? I think they have a new high dollar restaurant on the event level, maybe it is for part of that, but adding a door to the corner with extra seams, well, I am waiting for someone to throw puck around boards, pekka go to play it, and it bounce weird and have an empty net goal. Just don't see the point.

And it is gonna take me a while to get used to ll the new numbers out there ! Was surprised jokinen still has some wheels too

kivaerijo

Apr 14, 2007
EastNashville
In Laviolette's presser last night seen here: http://penaltyboxradio.com/blog/2014/09/25/post-game-video-peter-laviolette-on-predators-vs-lightning/ he explained that they actually only ran the PP twice during camp so far. They were working a new method, the 1-3-1. The players even said they were thinking too much during it. Look for it to improve as they get more comfortable with the scheme.

Example, Ribeiro even said that all he and the new guys tried to do was get Weber the puck and that has to change. http://penaltyboxradio.com/blog/2014/09/25/ribeiros-strong-play-leads-to-preseason-victory/

Well, there you go. I'm sure it will get better

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
And what is with the guys coming out for the intro from the corner of the ice instead of from behind the bench? I think they have a new high dollar restaurant on the event level, maybe it is for part of that, but adding a door to the corner with extra seams, well, I am waiting for someone to throw puck around boards, pekka go to play it, and it bounce weird and have an empty net goal. Just don't see the point.

And it is gonna take me a while to get used to ll the new numbers out there ! Was surprised jokinen still has some wheels too

That's exactly it. The players walk through the new Lexus Lounge when they come out now. That's why the come out in the corner.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I think this is much closer to what our actual NHL roster will look like. I'm looking forward to it. Sucks that I can't make it but oh well.

w/ the exception of Craig Smith, Derek Roy, practically the other 2 in our d and the fact Taylor Beck and Austin Watson probably won't make the team so it's really not all that close to the NHL roster.

Enjoyed watching our offense though, move the puck alot more and look for a lot better opportunities in the center of the zone, powerplay still needs some work on actually shooting the puck though.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
a few petty observations from me...

1. I too had to miss the first period, and listened in the car while driving to Bridgestone... Brent Peterson... that guy's gonna need a LOT of work to be an adequate color guy, and as much as I like Willy Daunic as a broadcaster, he's a sub-standard hockey PBP guy. The radio misses Pete Weber, for sure.

2. These skate-handle thick plastic cups that we get our "large sodas" in... BIG NO! (a) they don't hold much more than the cups that are used for "small sodas" --- (b) they don't fit in the cup holder in front of my seat, so where do you put them when you want to put your drink down --- (c) they won't stack, so what am I gonna do with 45 of them at season's end -- (d) they are ecologically incorrect in our 21st century of ecological correctness :)

3. The power play sure needs to move it around a whole lot quicker. Crisp passes, but unable to pull the trigger because it was so telegraphed, Lightning players found the shooting lanes way too easily.

4. Nashville really should be in a division with Carolina, Tampa, Florida and the like... would make way more sense...

Brent has been battling Parkinson's. I give him a little bit of a pass for that. Also, if he isn't exactly on top of his meds he'll lay things out exactly like they are--no holds barred. That can be both enlightening and entertaining. I'll agree on Willy. He's fine as color but PBP would be better served by someone like Aaron Sims from up in Milwaukee. He is excellent at it.

As for the move to the southeast, only if our time zone changes to Eastern. In that division, we'd naturally play more ET games. I know, it's weird, but moving from central to eastern is more of a strain on the body than from eastern to central. We would be the ONLY central team in the eastern conference. Also we'd lose the significant dollars--arena, downtown, jail--brought in by our present division rivals' fans.

Last edited:

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Brent has been battling Parkinson's. I give him a little bit of a pass for that. Also, if he isn't exactly on top of his meds he'll lay things out exactly like they are--no holds barred. That can be both enlightening and entertaining. I'll agree on Willy. He's fine as color but PBP would be better served by someone like Aaron Sims from up in Milwaukee. He is excellent at it.

As for the move to the southeast, only if our time zone changes to Eastern. In that division, we'd naturally play more ET games. I know, it's weird, but moving from central to eastern is more of a strain on the body than from eastern to central. We would be the ONLY central team in the eastern conference. Also we'd lose the significant dollars--arena, downtown, jail--brought in by our present division rivals' fans.

Very good points... and I did, of course, know about Peterson's condition and felt kinda crappy saying what I said, but it's just tough as a fan to hear two guys pronounce player names differently, or not even come close to getting them right. Broadcasting has been an area of my life for over 40 years (tangentially) so I am occasionally hyper-critical. You're correct though... it SHOULD get better. As for the time zone thing, yeah, naturally I get it, but it just feels like shorter travel and more parity in terms of competition would make this team better quicker :) P.S. LOVED Aaron Sims work when he filled in last year!

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
I agree about the skate cup. It is terrible. Doesn't fit in the cup holder and is definitely not "large"

I also had the hot chicken basket which I didn't care for. I don't know why but I was expecting it to be boneless for some reason. It was also hot without being very flavorful.

If you ever get the chance, try the hot chicken chunks at Corner Pub. So good.

As per the article about changes in Preds food this season, somewhere in the building (maybe the Food Network kiosk?) there is a hot chicken sandwich, that had damn well BETTER be boneless, and probably has more flavor.) The hot chicken platter TWO years ago was really good, and then last year they screwed with the recipe so I stopped ordering it. Sounds like they tinkered again, and didn't do wonders.

I've already written to the team about the cups... that just looks like someone wasn't thinking at all.

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
Sounds like Forsberg is doing good and should stay in Nashville. He is making it tough for them to send him down to Oakland.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
As per the article about changes in Preds food this season, somewhere in the building (maybe the Food Network kiosk?) there is a hot chicken sandwich, that had damn well BETTER be boneless, and probably has more flavor.) The hot chicken platter TWO years ago was really good, and then last year they screwed with the recipe so I stopped ordering it. Sounds like they tinkered again, and didn't do wonders.

I've already written to the team about the cups... that just looks like someone wasn't thinking at all.

They had the cups last year during preseason. I have 2 at home. I think it is more of a novelty item.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Very good points... and I did, of course, know about Peterson's condition and felt kinda crappy saying what I said, but it's just tough as a fan to hear two guys pronounce player names differently, or not even come close to getting them right. Broadcasting has been an area of my life for over 40 years (tangentially) so I am occasionally hyper-critical. You're correct though... it SHOULD get better. As for the time zone thing, yeah, naturally I get it, but it just feels like shorter travel and more parity in terms of competition would make this team better quicker :) P.S. LOVED Aaron Sims work when he filled in last year!

Oh, believe me--I can be as critical as they come. I get annoyed when players' names are mispronounced (or they change the pronunciation--pick one!) and certainly their own broadcast team should get it right. But I have heard BP come out with some really scathing criticisms of play or methodology--not what you usually hear in the way of a person who's employed by the team. It's quite refreshing. I guess it was from the meds, but maybe he's always been that way. I liked hearing the gritty truth about the overall play, the players' performance in relation to their ability, and the coaching--from the intent to the execution--so that trumps a botched name. There's just not quite enough of it.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Oh, believe me--I can be as critical as they come. I get annoyed when players' names are mispronounced (or they change the pronunciation--pick one!) and certainly their own broadcast team should get it right. But I have heard BP come out with some really scathing criticisms of play or methodology--not what you usually hear in the way of a person who's employed by the team. It's quite refreshing. I guess it was from the meds, but maybe he's always been that way. I liked hearing the gritty truth about the overall play, the players' performance in relation to their ability, and the coaching--from the intent to the execution--so that trumps a botched name. There's just not quite enough of it.

As with many "candid" color analysts... when being paid by the team to do that particular job, they are asked to be far less candid :) Time will tell.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
One thing is for sure, this team is going to be more exciting to watch than last year's.

I'm glad to hear that they haven't gotten around to the power play yet. Hopefully the new scheme comes together.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
One thing is for sure, this team is going to be more exciting to watch than last year's.

I'm glad to hear that they haven't gotten around to the power play yet. Hopefully the new scheme comes together.

Interesting note... we know Nashville finished 12th in a 30 team NHL on the PP last year. So, that was not the biggest issue, (although it sure felt like they finished 31st at times.) Did you know, that of the NON-PLAYOFF teams last season, Phoenix was 4th on the PP, Toronto 6th, New Jersey 9th, us at 12th and Ottawa at 14th. That's a third of the top half --- teams that MISSED the post-season.

On the PK, the Preds were 25th, so I think there's far more that needs to be addressed there. We've already established that Nashville was the #1 faceoff team in the NHL, but after they won the draws, they crapped their drawers! Also, The Devils were #1 on the PK... Winnipeg 10th, and Edmonton 15th.

So, how about those Devils missing the playoffs despite being in the top 10 in BOTH PP and PK... amazing.

gela

Dec 26, 2013
Nashville
Interesting note... we know Nashville finished 12th in a 30 team NHL on the PP last year. So, that was not the biggest issue, (although it sure felt like they finished 31st at times.) Did you know, that of the NON-PLAYOFF teams last season, Phoenix was 4th on the PP, Toronto 6th, New Jersey 9th, us at 12th and Ottawa at 14th. That's a third of the top half --- teams that MISSED the post-season.

On the PK, the Preds were 25th, so I think there's far more that needs to be addressed there. We've already established that Nashville was the #1 faceoff team in the NHL, but after they won the draws, they crapped their drawers! Also, The Devils were #1 on the PK... Winnipeg 10th, and Edmonton 15th.

So, how about those Devils missing the playoffs despite being in the top 10 in BOTH PP and PK... amazing.

Check our shorthanded save percentage. I can't make any of the sites work (RIP extraskater) but I'm pretty sure we were league-worst.

Edit: We were 28th, ahead of Florida and the Islanders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad