Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #2 2-1 Pens win: Fine! Simon scored, but I’m going to complain about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Posting here too:

Seriously, not much of note. The top line of Simon-Chaput-Puustinen was the best line with Simon and Chap doing most of the work. Zoho made some decent plays. Bellerive was noticeable when he was antagonizing. The 6 defensemen were uninspiring yet inoffensive. And CDS played quite well while Domingue certainly wasn't bad.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Does this #28 guy have a chance for a roster spot? Kinda dull and lackluster...don't think he'll make it.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Posting here too:

Seriously, not much of note. The top line of Simon-Chaput-Puustinen was the best line with Simon and Chap doing most of the work. Zoho made some decent plays. Bellerive was noticeable when he was antagonizing. The 6 defensemen were uninspiring yet inoffensive. And CDS played quite well while Domingue certainly wasn't bad.
Domingue is who he is, depth. He can come in and keep the bench warm and if absolutely needs be, can play limited minutes.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Maybe so, but he's still only 21. Lids didn't win his first Norris until he was what 30? It's certainly possible he can round out his game. Perhaps Owen Power see's it your way and doesn't want to rush himself and is the first 1st overall to not play in his draft year in a long ass time
Yeah I think that will only help Power long term. I like it when they use Forwards at the NHL level very young. But D is different. They need a few more years.

Yes, Lidstrom won the Norris at 30 but if we watched the footage back I bet he was way, way ahead of Dahlin's defensive game between 18 and 21.
+36 in his rookie year :laugh:

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Yeah I think that will only help Power long term. I like it when they use Forwards at the NHL level very young. But D is different. They need a few more years.

Yes, Lidstrom won the Norris at 30 but if we watched the footage back I bet he was way, way ahead of Dahlin's defensive game between 18 and 21.
+36 in his rookie year :laugh:

Lids first 3 years also saw him on a D-core with Konstantinov and Paul Coffey. There is no one remotely close to that on BUF to mentor Dahlin. Having said that, he was still ahead of Dahlin defensively. But since Dahlin is 21 there is so much room for him to become more well rounded, I would even bet on it.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
O’Connor quietly had an impressive night. He looked like an NHLer amongst AHLers despite not showing up on the scoresheet. Was great on faceoffs (71%) and played well in all 3 zones. I didn’t even know he played centre, but he certainly didn’t look out of place at C in this game. We’ll see how Hallander does in the coming games but O’Conner is making a real case for himself to start the season on the 4th line if he keeps playing like this. When everyone is healthy and if he goes back to WBS, I think he’ll have a big time season there.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
O’Connor quietly had an impressive night. He looked like an NHL amongst AHLers despite not showing up on the scoresheet. Was great on faceoffs (71%) and played well in all 3 zones. I didn’t even know he played centre, but he certainly didn’t look out of place at C in this game. We’ll see how Hallander does in the coming games but O’Conner is making a real case for himself to start the season on the 4th line if he keeps playing like this. When everyone is healthy and if he goes back to WBS, I think he’ll have a big time season there.
I would certainly use DOC over Boyle, who looks completely washed. The faster we are the better we play. That's been a trend for years.
If all you're bringing to the table is size, it's not enough. Supposedly he was a good PK'er at least, but we'll see if he still is.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Damn. Some players played big minutes:

Kapanen: 21:57
Poulin 21:18
Pettersson: 24:59
Reilly: 20:53
Zohorna 20:01

makes me wonder if they are being tested to see if they could handle NHL minutes?

for comparison some other toi:
Legare: 14:52
Puustinen: 12:15
Angello: 12:09
Chaput: 14:19
Bartkowski: 16:34

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I was in and out of the game with annoying phone calls, but I can’t say Poulin has done anything to stand out whatsoever. I liked Will Reilly out there.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Domingue is who he is, depth. He can come in and keep the bench warm and if absolutely needs be, can play limited minutes.
Domingue's vertical size is nice, helped in this game.
CDS is kind of short, Jarry is wide and currently sucks. A giant fit goalie in the pipeline ain't bad to have.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
For those that missed it. I'm guessing his hands are fully healed throwing em like that.

I'm remember seeing a few of his fights before, he throws punches like he means it. Not going to be knocking out Tom Wilson unfortunately but I think he can hold his own against guys his own size.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think I said it in one of the prospect polls, but I think Bellerive can be a Nick Cousins-lite. @Honour Over Glory should like that.

Sports Forecaster isn't all knowing, but here's what they say about NC:

"Has plenty of abrasiveness in his game, and is always willing to stir the pot. Can also play a sound two-way game. Adds plenty of versatility to a roster. Must prove he can continue to play his rambunctious style as he climbs the ladder. Also, the jury is out on his point-producing ability at the NHL level.

Long Range Potential
: Agitating forward with some upside."

https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/19096/Nick_Cousins

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad